Caroll: Welcome to the U

The numbers are starting to get a little strange. Six wide receivers and four corners ( 5 and 5 if AJL is a corner prospect) with several other active targets still out there.

Rather than nudging some of these kids out, I'm wondering if this isn't more indicative that some of those SOs and JRs who haven't contributed much at those spots might be asked to move along, as well as our staff knowing stuff we don't about kids with qualifying issues (Leggett), or not coming (Howard, Bush). If we stop today with a WR class of Lewis, Waters, Carter, Jones, Southward and a CB group of AJL 1, AJL 2, Dortch, Davis, and Hope, that isn't that outrageous considering what we've got on the roster. But I agree, right now it's something that makes you go "hmm.....", especially if Diggs/Howard/Bush decide they want in. I would not be disappointed if our coaches found room for other spots by gently recommending the weakest commits at WR & CB (whoever that might be) consider their options elsewhere.

Considering we only played, what, 38 kids against FSU? This is the most likely reason

The roster needs a complete overhaul. Hopefully they can redshirt enough of the incoming class to create some separation though

Advertisement
I'm on board with what most are suggesting with AJL, but I hope to **** we give him a good look at WR too.

That kid is explosive with the ball in his hands so it might be a bit premature to be moving him to CB already (although he seems the most likely candidate).

Pretty sure he's been quoted saying he's coming in as a corner.

If my understanding is correct, we can only sign 29 this year, regardless of who leaves early, transfers, etc.

According to Ace64, we can only sign 27.

Im of the opinion that we must sign at least one more O lineman. I think we see one more safety. So if nothing changes with the existing class, we'll only have room for two more.

So many players before him at Miramar High have left South Florida to play college football, but Malcolm Lewis couldn't get past the idea of staying home and playing inside the stadium a few minutes from his house, the stadium he walked to as kid.

So Lewis woke up Thursday morning and decided to call Al Golden and end his recruiting process by committing to Miami.

"He was really excited," Lewis said of the conversation. "He has a lot of energy. He was screaming a lot."

Golden was excited because Lewis injects another playmaker into the 2012 recruiting class, a 5-11, 170-pound playmaker who could attend college just about anywhere he wants. Lewis chose Miami over West Virginia, FSU, LSU, and Alabama.

"I am hoping to make a big impact," Lewis said. "The thing that really made me want to go there was that they bring freshmen in to play. I saw Philip Dorsett getting a lot of playing time this year and I am hoping that will be me next year.

"I am a speed player, bring yards after catch. I am physical. I can block. I play strong, go get the football, break tackles."

Lewis initially thought he would take all his visits and make a decision later in the recruiting game. But as the nightly phone calls from coaches consumed more of his time and the more he talked with his family about staying home so they would not have to travel to see him play, the more this commitment to Miami made sense right now.

"I took a visit to WV. I don't know if I will take any more visits," Lewis said. "I am feeling real good right now about the situation at Miami. I spent a lot of time there in the summer and went to a couple of their camps. I am real comfortable with the coaches. They are good coaches, coaches I feel I can be around for four years."

Right now Lewis is focused on leading Miramar to big things in the state high school playoffs. The Patriots are believed to be contenders for a state title.

"I don't want to be stressing about recruiting anymore and mess up my focus," Lewis said. "I was getting a lot of calls from coaches. It was taking a lot of time. I did a lot of thinking and talked to my parents and coaches. I prayed and came up with this decision. This works out good for everybody."

If my understanding is correct, we can only sign 29 this year, regardless of who leaves early, transfers, etc.

Im of the opinion that we must sign at least one more O lineman. I think we see one more safety. So if nothing changes with the existing class, we'll only have room for two more.

That's what Ace says, and he's almost always right, but Golden has said he wants 30+. Lots of variables here and it's hard to pin down an exact number without knowing what the staff knows.

Advertisement
I'm on board with what most are suggesting with AJL, but I hope to **** we give him a good look at WR too.

That kid is explosive with the ball in his hands so it might be a bit premature to be moving him to CB already (although he seems the most likely candidate).

Pretty sure he's been quoted saying he's coming in as a corner.

Yep, like I said I am on board.

But we know that can change and I honestly just see more explosiveness and big play ability from him than any of our other WR's. Other than Duke though, I think he's our best incoming recruit so I guess that can go both ways.

I'm just glad he's sticking around.

That's what Ace says, and he's almost always right, but Golden has said he wants 30+. Lots of variables here and it's hard to pin down an exact number without knowing what the staff knows.

Ace and I are referring to FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS. As we know, there are other ways to get a guy on campus. But as far as football ships are concerned, we can only sign 27 or 29.

Advertisement
Great news for the lunch break...not familiar with his game but I'll have to wait until later to look up some video.

No matter - great to welcome another member of the cane family!

I think we still need some more DT commits. OL looks ok for the next year at least...

We signed zero O linemen last year. We cannot go two years without an O line commit. We need AT LEAST two this year. I wouldnt mind seeing 3.

At DT, even though we're soft on the field this year, we have a fair amount of DT's on the roster. (currently 9 with one commit and only one will be gone next year). We're not really thin at D line. Coach Golden signed a couple good ones last year (Grimble and Smith). They will be solid next year IMO.

But again, if we only sign one O lineman this year, we will regret it in 2013/2014.

Gadbois is re-committed and Isadora would be a good guard prospect. We need two run stuffing DT's to round out the class.

I think we still need some more DT commits. OL looks ok for the next year at least...

We signed zero O linemen last year. We cannot go two years without an O line commit. We need AT LEAST two this year. I wouldnt mind seeing 3.

At DT, even though we're soft on the field this year, we have a fair amount of DT's on the roster. (currently 9 with one commit and only one will be gone next year). We're not really thin at D line. Coach Golden signed a couple good ones last year (Grimble and Smith). They will be solid next year IMO.

But again, if we only sign one O lineman this year, we will regret it in 2013/2014.

We signed Hunter Wells, OG, last year. We have Flowers and Gadbois at OT for this year, I think we should add an inside guy like Isadora.

We are okay numbers wise at DT for next year but would like 3 in the class, 2 at a minimum

Advertisement
Ereck Flowers and Taylor Gadbois are already in the class with Joshua Garnett a possibility.

Last edited:

We signed Hunter Wells, OG, last year. We have Flowers and Gadbois at OT for this year, I think we should add an inside guy like Isadora.

We are okay numbers wise at DT for next year but would like 3 in the class, 2 at a minimum

I have yet to hear anyone say that Hunter Wells is a D1 caliber player. IMO he was a warm body. We're gonna end up eating four year of ship money on him, unless coach Golden decides to play SEC ball and send the kid packing for non-football development, which is something I oppose strongly.

I am still hopeful on Danny Isadora. I think he would round out the class nicely at O line.

You might be right on Wells but I know that OL is hardest position to project so I'm never counting anyone out. **** Tyler Horn has been pretty **** good for us and he was a nothing when he signed here.

Advertisement

Ace and I are referring to FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS. As we know, there are other ways to get a guy on campus. But as far as football ships are concerned, we can only sign 27 or 29.

I don't think that's right. There are going to be some departures. In terms of the 25 rule, have to see how many we can take back to this year but it's enough that we can sign 30+

I like the Lewis pickup a LOT. Seems like an old school UM kid. Playmaker. Good speed.

Also like that he's from Miramar. AG's focused on recruiting more than MNW and BTW.

I looked up this kid's video on youtube and he seemed abnormally slow. Anyway, judge for yourself:

Jon Bastian
Published on 11-15-2011 07:00 PM
Miami is in need of a big nose tackle to use in their system and Epken Iduoze fits that bill. He is 6’4 and 330 pounds. The Milford Prep standout has had a record setting season going undefeated.

“I am doing good up here,” he said. “It’s been cool. We finished our season 12 and 0. I think we are the number one prep school in the country. I know we are the first undefeated [prep school] team. I am not sure about my stats for the season, but after six games I had 30 tackles, 3 sacks and 17 tackles for loss.”

Iduoze said a lot of schools are looking at him right now. “USC, Texas A&M, Colorado, East Carolina, Ball State, Penn State, Pittsburg, Maryland and a bunch of other schools.” Some schools have already offered the 2012 prospect such as “Colorado, East Carolina, Ball State, Western Michigan, Maryland and Penn State.”

“I am going to do that in December,” he said about narrowing down his list.

He knows Miami’s head coach, Al Golden, from his days at Temple.

“I know Al Golden from Temple. He was recruiting me when he was at Temple. I like him. He recruited my friend. I thought he controls the program well. He is really strict and doesn’t let anything stupid happen and stuff like that. I like Miami. I am trying to send them some new film to see what is going on.”

He followed that up by saying, "I would love to hear from the 'Canes. They have a great history of putting defensive lineman in the NFL."

When it comes to enrolling in college, he is set to go. “I can go to college in January if I want to.”

Scouting Report by Jimmy D Smith: Iduoze is a massive nose tackle prospect that specializes in run support. He is ideal to play 0-technique and is an immovable object on the defense. He recently trimmed his body fat by four percent and is planning to match that by another four percent by the time he enrolls in college. He uses his hands well at times but can be inconsistent in this department.

You might be right on Wells but I know that OL is hardest position to project so I'm never counting anyone out. **** Tyler Horn has been pretty **** good for us and he was a nothing when he signed here.

I think you're right that Horn has exceeded expectations. I don't think many would have believed you if you had said he would be a multi-year starter.

That said, Wells.....I just don't know about that one. We haven't recruited OL as well as we should have lately (sounds familiar right?) so we really do need another standout guy like Garnett to go with Flowers. If we don't, we are going to be in some trouble very quickly(probably will anyway).

Advertisement
Back