Capping Coaches' Salaries–Donna Shalala

dukemv

Sophomore
By no means am I an economist so interested in hearing thoughts on this. What effects would this have on college sports, and, in particular, college football? I think that if the argument is that college athletes' pay was limited to promote competition among universities, the same should have been done to college coaches. Now that's changed (at least I think so). I still think limiting the amount that public institutions are allowed to dedicate to college coaches would do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Some quotes:
"An ant-trust exemption granted by the federal government would create some sort of restraint on college salaries that have reached record levels. It's an exemption that was granted to Major League Baseball in 1922 that states the sport is not subject to federal commerce laws."

"Shalala said that the SEC pursued Miami in expansion talks in the early 2000s while she was president of the university.
'We just could not compete with their [coaching] salaries,' Shalala said."

"'Everybody talks about an antitrust exemption," Clemson AD Dan Radakovich told CBS Sports. "Like everything in life, there's a good antitrust exemption and one that becomes overly regulated. … The physics lab ain't getting $93 million because [football income is] all self-generated.'"

Advertisement
I agree in general that if you care about fairness and/or competition then spending has to be capped in some way. Pro sports have realized this, and college should do the same.

That said, there's just too much money for things to change much. Even if you cap salaries, schools will find ways to lure coaches. Cars, houses, or other things of value will find there way to a coach if you want him badly enough.

Having said that, I think we should at least try to stop the incessant ramping-up of spending in college football. There's very little excitement left when you know that out of 130 teams, only 5 or so have a real shot at a NC. Sure, somebody else will win one every now and then, but we all know the names of at least 3 of the top 4 next year and the season is 7 months away.

This is interesting because I believe in 2014 or 2015 the governor of Louisiana almost had to shut down the football program at LSU because of how much it cost to run the program. Clearly that didn't happen nor would almuni ever allow it, but the cost to the public for state schools to operate top tier football programs is way higher than people realize.

Advertisement
Supply and demand. How does it work?

These people who insist it can be controlled have no problem taking advantage of it. Did Shalala think $1.4 million was too much for the 4 months she worked as president of UM in 2015?

"Shalala said that the SEC pursued Miami in expansion talks in the early 2000s while she was president of the university."

Been telling you guys we should join the SEC. You fools kept saying the SEC wouldn't let us in. Well, now you know.

Miami should leave the ACC for the SEC.

And God ****.... Shalala was the worst.

By no means am I an economist so interested in hearing thoughts on this. What effects would this have on college sports, and, in particular, college football? I think that if the argument is that college athletes' pay was limited to promote competition among universities, the same should have been done to college coaches. Now that's changed (at least I think so). I still think limiting the amount that public institutions are allowed to dedicate to college coaches would do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Some quotes:
"An ant-trust exemption granted by the federal government would create some sort of restraint on college salaries that have reached record levels. It's an exemption that was granted to Major League Baseball in 1922 that states the sport is not subject to federal commerce laws."

"Shalala said that the SEC pursued Miami in expansion talks in the early 2000s while she was president of the university.

"'Everybody talks about an antitrust exemption," Clemson AD Dan Radakovich told CBS Sports. "Like everything in life, there's a good antitrust exemption and one that becomes overly regulated. … The physics lab ain't getting $93 million because [football income is] all self-generated.'"
Shalala sure Capped Miami coaching salaries while she was here..

Advertisement
I agree in general that if you care about fairness and/or competition then spending has to be capped in some way. Pro sports have realized this, and college should do the same.

That said, there's just too much money for things to change much. Even if you cap salaries, schools will find ways to lure coaches. Cars, houses, or other things of value will find there way to a coach if you want him badly enough.

Having said that, I think we should at least try to stop the incessant ramping-up of spending in college football. There's very little excitement left when you know that out of 130 teams, only 5 or so have a real shot at a NC. Sure, somebody else will win one every now and then, but we all know the names of at least 3 of the top 4 next year and the season is 7 months away.
40 years ago, i knew 7 of the top 10.
They're called BlueBloods..

If I'm choosing between Shalala and Radakovich as far as opinions from people with UM connections on this matter then the decision is easier than a bowel movement after slamming two whole coladas by yourself.

Rakadovich statements are self serving. Anything that helps Clemson and keeps us down is good for them.

How about limiting college player salaries also?

40 years ago, i knew 7 of the top 10.
They're called BlueBloods..
40 years ago the local school got first crack at any local talent and you had a huge uphill battle to beat them out. Now there are no secrets and kids get to know the top coaches by the time they hit 9th grade. Plus state loyalty isn't nearly what it used to be. Bottom line is that bama has a legit shot at any kid they set their sites on...40 years ago that wasn't true. You didn't waltz into PA and take a kid from Paterno. You didn't go to Texas a steal a kid. And nobody knew how much talent there was in SFLA.

Advertisement

Some quotes:

I have been asked to provide proof that Shalala ever said that...lol.

She not only said "could not"...but more importantly early on said "would not"....

Let us not forget that her first football decision was to say **** no to Butch for a puny $800k buyout after bringing us back from death's door. Imagine if Shalala was at the U in January of 1995?! We get Butch at all?, and if so, how much leash does he have?

Some quotes:

Basic economics state that artificial price floors or ceilings are a bad idea. Minimum wage doesn't work and therefore maximum wage should not either. But the case of college football is closer to the NFL than a free market... you basically have a co-op. It's not just coaching salaries but investments in facilities and tuition that are skyrocketing. This ultimately leads to monopolistic behavior in the market and you end up with oligarchy -- a select few dominating the remaining participants.

Which is the way the NCAA has been for...welll... ever.

There's an argument to be made for capping salaries, but 1) salaries are not the issue, resources are the issue, therefore 2) clever market operators will find a way around the rules, and 3) too little too late.

It just doesn't get better for us does it?
Guess the slurpers can rave about portal U all off-season.

This football program is in so much disarray...everything we read is negative

Advertisement
Even if you cap salaries, schools will find ways to lure coaches. Cars, houses, or other things of value will find there way to a coach if you want him badly enough.

Saban's contract with Alabama is one that already shows how far a school will go to sign a coach. Besides his base salary, he gets the use of 2 cars, Country club membership, use of private jet for 25 hours, 6 million life insurance, 100k annually to his foundation, 15 skybox tickets, plus all kinds of performance bonuses.

Some quotes:

Shalala is a lying she hobbit! Larry Coker was one of the highest paid coaches in college football in the early 2000’s! Shalala decided to take the money generated from football and spend it elsewhere.

This is insane. The problem in cfb ism failure to apply antitrust laws, not that we need more exemptions. It’s a business that is allowed to behave like a cartel. So it does.

Even if you cap salaries, schools will find ways to lure coaches. Cars, houses, or other things of value will find there way to a coach if you want him badly enough.

Saban's contract with Alabama is one that already shows how far a school will go to sign a coach. Besides his base salary, he gets the use of 2 cars, Country club membership, use of private jet for 25 hours, 6 million life insurance, 100k annually to his foundation, 15 skybox tickets, plus all kinds of performance bonuses.
They also paid off his multi million dollar house.

Advertisement
Back