Canes vs Longhorns - Regional Final Game 1 - 6pm ESPNU/ESPN+

Having traveled the contiguous 48. The superlatives thus far.

BBQ---Texas, Chattanooga
Seafood---Portland, Maine
Stone Crab from some random guy at an intersection---Miami
Steak---Omaha
Late night dinner, Some mafioso in a corner booth, pizza, bocce ball---New York decades ago.
Nothing---Chicago j/k a shot of Malort.
Octopus Salad--Croatia

Oh sorry, this used to be the baseball board, but we should change it to the Gino DiMare I'd-rather-be-eating-bbq message board.

Advertisement
So you just googled.

I've had BBQ in all 13 confederate states (and wannabe confederate states) plus Kansas and Oklahoma. There is great BBQ in so many places, not just NC. And you can't narrow the definition to "just pulled pork", there's not any major BBQ competition that even defines things so arbitrarily.
It’s actually one of two places in Texas I’ve had brisket and pulled pork at. Waited forever.

See my other post for the distinction between bbq

A good start would be lining up your best pitcher to pitch in game 2...ziehl against Maine sunk them from the jump. Didn't have the arms this year to pitch him in game 1. Not with Ligon hurt and not 100%
Part of the problem is we are that desperate for Ligon, even on a pitch count, to pitch. Ligon is a slightly above average ACC pitcher at best. This isn’t a future first round guy we are trying to run out there. Yet, he’s our best option.

JD, go recruit somebody. And, if you do, don’t ***** them up (Rosario). Dammit

Advertisement
Having traveled the contiguous 48. The superlatives thus far.

BBQ---Texas, Chattanooga
Seafood---Portland, Maine
Stone Crab from some random guy at an intersection---Miami
Steak---Omaha
Late night dinner, Some mafioso in a corner booth, pizza, bocce ball---New York decades ago.
Nothing---Chicago j/k a shot of Malort.
Octopus Salad--Croatia

Oh sorry, this used to be the baseball board, but we should change it to the Gino DiMare I'd-rather-be-eating-bbq message board.
Love your faves and you are correct, we are talking about something other than Gino.

Advertisement
Buz and Ned’s in Richmond has the best pork ribs I’ve ever had but I don’t profess to have been everywhere and tried everything. Eastern Carolina and Virginia is pretty pork shoulder/butt-centric as you know. That’s what they do there. The sauce is vinegar and spice. I actually like to take a Texas style sauce and cut it with the Carolina vinegar sauce. Blasphemy I know.
Western NC uses the shoulder and has a thick sauce that has a sweet, savory flavor.

Eastern NC is whole hog, vinger, spicier.

SC uses mustard sauce.

I honestly don't really know that TX bbq is, but I'm sure it has good stuff.

So you just googled.

I've had BBQ in all 13 confederate states (and wannabe confederate states) plus Kansas and Oklahoma. There is great BBQ in so many places, not just NC. And you can't narrow the definition to "just pulled pork", there's not any major BBQ competition that even defines things so arbitrarily.
Don't try to talk to this guy. Very closed minded biased person.

Advertisement
I agree with you but they literally call it that in those parts. Like an old southern guy I worked with years ago in Virginia literally said when they call something bbq they’re referring to that chopped/pulled pork.
They’re still arguing with me like this part is negotiable lmao.

Buz and Ned’s in Richmond has the best pork ribs I’ve ever had but I don’t profess to have been everywhere and tried everything. Eastern Carolina and Virginia is pretty pork shoulder/butt-centric as you know. That’s what they do there. The sauce is vinegar and spice. I actually like to take a Texas style sauce and cut it with the Carolina vinegar sauce. Blasphemy I know.

Absolutely.

And, look, one of the "differences" in what you do WHILE barbecuing in Texas vs. NC is that Texas doesn't slather on a sauce. Sauce is more "for the table", not for basting meat while cooking.

It's funny what you mention about the sauce. A very popular Florida chain (4Rivers) specifically tried to create a sauce that was NOT based solely on one region. So the "polarization" tends to break down between (a) people who just like things that taste good, who like 4Rivers, and (b) people who think that BBQ is supposed to taste like "their region" and thus bemoan that the sauce does not have enough "vinegar" or "spice" or whatever.

Also, if you get a chance to visit your relatives in St. Louis, I'll give you the name of a place up there that is known for their pork ribs. It may be "different" from what you've had in VA, but they win awards and at the end of the day, I just like food that tastes good, and I can acknowledge great food from many places throughout the country.

But the best pitmaster in the US is Aaron Franklin.

Advertisement
Absolutely.

And, look, one of the "differences" in what you do WHILE barbecuing in Texas vs. NC is that Texas doesn't slather on a sauce. Sauce is more "for the table", not for basting meat while cooking.

It's funny what you mention about the sauce. A very popular Florida chain (4Rivers) specifically tried to create a sauce that was NOT based solely on one region. So the "polarization" tends to break down between (a) people who just like things that taste good, who like 4Rivers, and (b) people who think that BBQ is supposed to taste like "their region" and thus bemoan that the sauce does not have enough "vinegar" or "spice" or whatever.

Also, if you get a chance to visit your relatives in St. Louis, I'll give you the name of a place up there that is known for their pork ribs. It may be "different" from what you've had in VA, but they win awards and at the end of the day, I just like food that tastes good, and I can acknowledge great food from many places throughout the country.

I was on a plane to St. Louis once and sat next to a guy talking about how I needed to go to some place and eat snoots. Lol I think he was talking about pig noses.

You can’t just name every kind of meat the same thing bc of how you cook it. Here’s the distinction:

Bbq as a noun, is pulled pork.

Bbq as a verb, is low and slow.

Not even the dictionary agrees with you.

1685928146407.png

Absolutely.

Amen Bro! Franklin's is really good!

Advertisement
Back