Canes should cancel this bowl game; makes no sense to play it.

Advertisement
Thank god! Praise Jesus! Finally someone with some sense making decisions and not reacting off emotions. Smart people have won out!

The risk of injury to many players would’ve been sky high due to lack of practice time. We gained nothing from playing this game.

Now we can focus on next season. New regime, different coaches…new schemes.
All those extra practices sure helped King not get injured in the bowl game last year.

I've said it a million times. I hate the bowl games and wish they would go away. Having said that, we have them, they exist, and if we agree to play in one, I think we should.

I knew full well that the EVENTUAL cancellation of the game was a real possibility. But look at the discussion. People were ADVOCATING for cancellation of the game well in advance. And cited reasons such as the lack of meaning of the game.

We have two packs of jackals on this topic. One set of jackals wants to be "first" in pushing their hot takes about cancelling the bowl game, and while we did eventually cancel the bowl game, there was no reason to do so over a week in advance of the game. The other set of jackals wants to attack and mock every team that cancels, with no context or nuance, particularly that one dipsh!te who wanted to compare UM (a team that did everything to adjust its schedule and then pulled out of the bowl game nearly a week in advance) to F$U (a team that waited until the last possible moment to cancel the Clemson game, after Clemson had already travelled to the game, and announced a cancellation rather than a rescheduling).

I hate the bowls. I hope the bowls die. But if we sign the contract, I want to see us do everything possible to play the game, and not have a fanbase whining about pvssing out of the game over a week in advance.
I agree with most of this sentiment except the FSU part..again when I saw p getting FSU for canceling that Clemson game I thought it was good natured ribbing lol. I’m not killing Schools at all for cancellations due to Covid. Most ppl look at just the positive test for players but it’s the staff, the equipment ppl, the trainers etc etc. that’s a lot of personnel needed for a game. And if Covid is spread like that through the players it’s foolish to think it didn’t effect the other folks needed for the program as well. It is what it is. It sucks

This Omarion strand been going around like crazy In south Florida. We have new mask mandates started at work now. At least 6 co workers got infected. I’ve got a few friends who tested positive last week. **** is like herpes in the ancient times. Everyone has it

Advertisement
I've said it a million times. I hate the bowl games and wish they would go away. Having said that, we have them, they exist, and if we agree to play in one, I think we should.

I knew full well that the EVENTUAL cancellation of the game was a real possibility. But look at the discussion. People were ADVOCATING for cancellation of the game well in advance. And cited reasons such as the lack of meaning of the game.

We have two packs of jackals on this topic. One set of jackals wants to be "first" in pushing their hot takes about cancelling the bowl game, and while we did eventually cancel the bowl game, there was no reason to do so over a week in advance of the game. The other set of jackals wants to attack and mock every team that cancels, with no context or nuance, particularly that one dipsh!te who wanted to compare UM (a team that did everything to adjust its schedule and then pulled out of the bowl game nearly a week in advance) to F$U (a team that waited until the last possible moment to cancel the Clemson game, after Clemson had already travelled to the game, and announced a cancellation rather than a rescheduling).

I hate the bowls. I hope the bowls die. But if we sign the contract, I want to see us do everything possible to play the game, and not have a fanbase whining about pvssing out of the game over a week in advance.
No, there are two types discussing this:

1. Rational types that use a nuanced approach to think through process and timing, when presented with new information
2. Overly reactionary types who dive head first into decisioning based only on instincts and emotions.

I thought there were smarter people on this board, but I will connect the dots for apparently many of you. Here is why it made sense to cancel the game.

ACC guidelines state and read this close: “Any players and staff members who test positive for COVID-19, regardless of their vaccination status, should isolate for 10 days and wait to rejoin the team until at least 24 hours have passed without having a fever. Players should avoid exercise during isolation, under this policy.”

Put simply, if you, John Doe Miami Hurricane, contract COVID, you must sit on your butt in your room and quarantine for 10 straight days - no practicing, no jogging, and no weight lifting.

We have 20 something players in this boat (10 days out with no physical activity whatsoever), including practically the entire O-line and they entire defensive back group. Let that sink in: practically the entire O-line unit and the DB unit is out! And I heard that number could jump to as high as 40 today or tomorrow because Omicron has exploded within the team and all around South Florida (and most major cities)

That is significant because most of our John Does contracted COVID on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday of last week and it continues to burn through the program. And that means NONE of those 20 something players with COVID and any additional who contract it this week could’ve played in the bowl game Friday because everyone falls within the 10 day window. Why? Even if you go back as far as last Tuesday, Dec 20, the end of the 10 day quarantine would be Dec 31- the day of the game (see ACC guideline in bold). And first availability would be Jan 1, after the game. Day 11 = day 1 out of quarantine.

Or, if you go back as far as Sunday Dec 19, that puts the first return date at Thursday Dec 30 (Day 11) which means that guy would still have no physical prep or practice time before suiting up to play in a real game on Friday. How does any of that make sense???

All this means you likely had a number of WRs practicing and playing both ways (DB and WR), prepping for the real game and likely a good number of D-lineman practicing playing both ways (OT and DT) in the game to mitigate the loss. If you want to put a whole bunch of players at risk for serious injury that would be it.

Finally, and if that’s not enough, the bowl game is meaningless, it would’ve been an empty stadium and we have lane duck coaches manning the troops. It made too much sense to skip this game and move on to next season.

Last edited:
This Omarion strand been going around like crazy In south Florida. We have new mask mandates started at work now. At least 6 co workers got infected. I’ve got a few friends who tested positive last week. **** is like herpes in the ancient times. Everyone has it
Touch GIF

Florida has the second highest case rate increase in the last 14 days and the third highest hospitalization rate increase in the last 14 days. Not great.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So the rest of the world needs to shut down for those people? That's not how it works. Tens of thousands , maybe hundreds of thousands, die from the flu every year. We never shut down like this for the flu. Why is that?
Yea. That’s called not being a selfish *******. And we are talking about football games not another global shutdown..idk why we keep comparing this to the flu either

Advertisement
Yea. That’s called not being a selfish *******. And we are talking about football games not another global shutdown..idk why we keep comparing this to the flu either

People are comparing it the omicron variant to the flu because as it it is being reported right now the symptoms are apparently milder. Notice my statement is full of qualifiers, nothing is absolute. Also, don’t forget, overall the flu has killed way more people than COVID-19 has or any coronavirus past or present.

So other people's health is my and your responsibility? Do you go up to people that are smoking and slap the cigarette out of their hand? What about someone eating a quarter pounder? It's being compared to the flu because the flu kills just as many people

Last edited:
No, there are two types discussing this:

1. Rational types that use a nuanced approach to think through process and timing, when presented with new information
2. Overly reactionary types who dive head first into decisioning based only on instincts and emotions.

3. Legitimately rational folks who know Omicron is a f**king cold or scratchy throat, having killed ONE person in the States—compromised health in his mid-fifties, with underlying conditions—yet we're trying to stop the f**king world all over again, despite this being a ridiculously watered-down version of what we were dealing with 18 months ago.

Enough already. Zero reason to shut down the world again over what is looking more and more like the common cold with a fancy, scary name.

Advertisement
Back