Canes Practicing in Orlando

The 8-7 game is the game I don't speak of. I loved Medearis. Was so ****ed that dude got hurt and was done. Ozark mountain daredevil, Missouri, probably some kin, lab experiment or spawn of Kul. His 91' Orange Bowl was off the charts.

Advertisement
It's not about just "clearing the field." The 30+ players and staff members who live on-campus have nowhere to go. They are in Orlando because the residential colleges and dorms are not fit for occupation. Try and find a hotel room near campus right now. I live half a mile from campus and lost power on Saturday afternoon...I'm still waiting for FPL. Hotel rooms in the Gables are scarce and cost $200+/night. Try finding a block of rooms for 30+ individuals near the Gables. Impossible

Orlando has an abundance of hotels and wasn't nearly has impacted by Irma as South Florida. This makes complete sense.

Sounds reasonable. I can't find fault in that.

Nice pic NJShoreCane, did you roll back to Avalon/Stone Harbor make fun of PSU people, toss eggs at Paterno's house and get after it that night?

Advertisement
45% of Coral Gables homes still without power as of this afternoon according to the City and FPL. UM Law classes restart Wednesday, but all other classes restart a week from Monday.

Advertisement
The whole team should have been together for the last 2 weeks.

We get, you proved how much of a bvtch you are by crying about canceling the Ark St game.

Now fvck off. Hopefully your parents cut off your internet access so we won't have to continue reading you whine and cry like a gator fan

Nice pic NJShoreCane, did you roll back to Avalon/Stone Harbor make fun of PSU people, toss eggs at Paterno's house and get after it that night?

Haha! That was my exact to do list after the game.
I managed to accomplish 2 out of 3.

Advertisement
45% of Coral Gables homes still without power as of this afternoon according to the City and FPL. UM Law classes restart Wednesday, but all other classes restart a week from Monday.

Medical classes actually start on monday, earlier than the law school classes.

They say power has been restored to nearly all the buildings, and they've already inspected all 2000+ campus housing rooms and restored the Network service to 95% of the campus.

Hurricane Irma ? Advisories

Orlando got hammered by Irma. I've been without power as well and will be for the foreseeable future. There is no logic to coming here, the storm skirted Miami came up the west coast and made a direct hit on Orlando we're worse off if anything.

Sorry to hear about you still being without power, but parts of Orlando never lost power at all. I know the office I worked in less than a month ago in Maitland was back up and running Tuesday morning. I am guessing that Disney and other places were first on the list to be restored if they lost it at all. Either way Campus is not open and the decision has been made. It's good the team is back practicing starting tomorrow and literally will have a pretty singular focus with no classes at this time.

Others have posted on here that a lot of the Gables is still without power so I think its a no brainer to have them in Orlando and get back to work. Good to hear.

People just don't understand.

Disney has its own power generation facility. It is over by the EPCOT employees' parking lot.

Settle down everyone. This is a good move.
Was waiting for someone to post this. Disney is completely self contained. You can get a tour of their utilities, which include what for all intents & purposes a complete underground city.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I secured my Miami home then drove to Orlando to ride out the storm at my sister's house in Winter Garden. Returned to Miami driving Tuesday at midnight.

Orlando had more of a direct hit but the eye was disorganized and Irma was down to a low 2/high 1. The peak in Orlando was midnight to 5 AM especially 2-3. I stayed up through and watched from a second story window. We never lost power or cable or anything.

After sampling Orlando damage on Monday and Tuesday then being in Miami since early Wednesday, I'd have to say the damage is comparable but Miami got harder hit in some areas. There must have been some strong outer bands because it seems kind of random in Miami. I'll go through a moderately bad area and think it will become the trend then several blocks are really torn up.

It was primarily a tree event in both cities with some roofing damage and flood issues. My sister lives in Independence which is a new community and obviously well designed because very few of the trees were impacted. They did a great job of picking out the least vulnerable trees. That was a major study in the Miami area post-Andrew but it still hasn't become common knowledge or readily practiced because many of the trees that fared worst during Andrew are still being recommended and planted by landscapers, with predictable results on Sunday. You can basically go down the line from that Andrew study and it happened again.

I have to say the power companies did a pathetic job in both communities. This was not a huge direct hit in either area yet both have substantial power outages four days later.

Are they fixing for sustained success or merely slapping together something that gets the homeowner off their back in the short term?

Advertisement
I have to say the power companies did a pathetic job in both communities. This was not a huge direct hit in either area yet both have substantial power outages four days later.

Are they fixing for sustained success or merely slapping together something that gets the homeowner off their back in the short term?

By all means, tell us about your expertise in protecting, maintaining and rebuilding power systems in hurricane force winds. Looking forward to it.

With no school, is there an opportunity for more practice time? Not sure of the rules on this...

No. They still have the 20 hour restriction.

You better believe they will be practicing/ walk thoughs more then 20 hours.

Not possible.

Is the 20 hours cap for coach-supervised time? They must be able to watch film and do S&C work on their own, no?

Yes, 20 hours is for any activity that is coach supervised. Games also count as part of that time. Players can watch all the film and S&C on their own that they want.

About time

Be careful, that could be misconstrued as insensitive.

Apparently you have to wait until a solid 4 months after a storm to be able to comment about anything other than the storm.

WHO COULD THINK OF FOOTBALL AT A TIME LIKE THIS????

The more I think of this, the more I like them practicing in Orlando. Starting tomorrow, going through the weekend and next week in close quarters living and practicing could even be better, under these circumstances, than going back to Coral Gables right now. I'm expecting a nice little performance a week from Saturday.

Worked great for us after Hurricane Andrew when we went to Vero and practices at Dodgertown. Came out smoking and walloped Iowa and went on, I'm pretty sure, to beat Ped State and FSU, who were both highly ranked.

I remember that game very specifically. It was a long time ago but I remember it fairly clearly. We came out and destroyed them from jump. I believe Tom Arnold and Roseann Barr were on the sidelines or there at least anyway, for Iowa, if I'm not mistaken. I think so.

Yup, that game against Iowa wasn't as close as the final score.
We had a clunker trap game against Arizona(?) before the FSU game. It was some oddball score like 8-6.
Other than that, we played pretty solid football the year of Andrew.
Except, of course, when our over-confident azzes went out to play 'Bama for the Natty.

8-7. They missed like a 50+ yard fg as time expired. Game where that ****er from AZ basically ended Rusty's career.

To this day ,I can remember Jessie Armstead on the radio, after the game, talking about how Arizona had some "speeedy runnnin backsses" Love the Guy !

Advertisement
Back