Canes playing elsewhere

Sorry but with this thread getting bumped I just had to quote this because there are so many bad takes putting heat on L.

Moore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lykes
gary coleman wtf GIF

L deserved all the heat he was getting prior to the 9 game winning streak. The win streak doesn't erase the losing, poor recruiting, player discord, etc. The levels to which the program had fallen was completely unacceptable. Glad to see the turnaround, but let's not pretend the last few seasons didn't happen.

3-4 years of bad basketball >>>>>>>>>> 9 game winning streak

Advertisement
I realize you are a Larranaga guy, but nothing in his previous 3 school gave any indicator that Moore would play at an All-Conference level.

Of course Moore was going to be important. Unless you want to play Joseph there was no PG options. He was awful early. As I said I am glad I was wrong. I will gladly take the L.

L’s public statements about Charlie before he hit his stride demonstrate that L was expecting very high level play out of Moore.

Lykes was basically let go… not shown the door but not begged to stay.

You criticized that decision.

It is obvious it was the right one.

There’s a difference between process and outcome.

People on this board rightly criticize the outcomes of the last 3 years.

The critiques of the process are mostly (but not all) wrong and uninformed.

Mack got fired at Louisville.

Cross is a bad juju guy.
In the long run, if he stays, he'll probably be OK. The Yum Center seats 22,000. Lately they've been getting some "crowds" of 7000. That would be fine in Coral Gables but an economic disaster to downtown Louisville. Another key reason why Mack got fired. Reportedly, the Cards will be shooting for Bruce Pearl or Mick Cronin, in no particular order. Cronin was a long-time Pitino assistant at the Ville, IIRC.

Advertisement
L’s public statements about Charlie before he hit his stride demonstrate that L was expecting very high level play out of Moore.

Lykes was basically let go… not shown the door but not begged to stay.

You criticized that decision.

It is obvious it was the right one.

There’s a difference between process and outcome.

People on this board rightly criticize the outcomes of the last 3 years.

The critiques of the process are mostly (but not all) wrong and uninformed.
Bull****. When Lykes quit on the team and did not show up to sit at the ACC Tournament I was one of the first to say we would not miss him whatsoever and thought he had become a cancer in the locker room. His minutes are getting greatly cut at Arkansas.

This you?

Moore was a terrific addition. Take your L and give coach his due.
Yep.

I also said he was an upgrade on height in another. Nobody had a clue this kid would be this good. Nothing in his 3 prior stints indicated this. I've already admitted I was wrong about Moore. And trust me I was critical of Lykes and his behavior last year which was your point.

I can go *** for tat on your takes over the past 4 years.

Cheers.

Advertisement
Yep.

I also said he was an upgrade on height in another. Nobody had a clue this kid would be this good. Nothing in his 3 prior stints indicated this. I've already admitted I was wrong about Moore. And trust me I was critical of Lykes and his behavior last year which was your point.

I can go *** for tat on your takes over the past 4 years.

Cheers.

You keep saying nobody had a clue but Larranaga literally said that’s what he expected at the beginning of the season.

I was skeptical. I thought Moore would be another Malcolm Grant - partly because I knew how highly L thought of him and expected him to get a long leash. But I didn’t call L “a dead man walking” and “incompetency of the highest order” because I had a reservation as a fan.

I was wrong. You were more wrong. Take your L and move on. And maybe next time pause before publicly attacking L for something you’ll be totally wrong about.

You keep saying nobody had a clue but Larranaga literally said that’s what he expected at the beginning of the season.

I was skeptical. I thought Moore would be another Malcolm Grant - partly because I knew how highly L thought of him and expected him to get a long leash. But I didn’t call L “a dead man walking” and “incompetency of the highest order” because I had a reservation as a fan.

I was wrong. You were more wrong. Take your L and move on. And maybe next time pause before publicly attacking L for something you’ll be totally wrong about.
Well glad it is working out. Any other P5 program and Larranaga would have been dismissed after last season. Poor recruiting, transfers not working out, mass exodus, 3 consecutive losing seasons, injury after injury. Yes, you have been a Larranaga apologist for 4 years. Yes, you can take your victory lap. You've earned it this year. Jim has done a great job at mid season for sure. Never more happy to be wrong as a fan.

Well glad it is working out. Any other P5 program and Larranaga would have been dismissed after last season. Poor recruiting, transfers not working out, mass exodus, 3 consecutive losing seasons, injury after injury. Yes, you have been a Larranaga apologist for 4 years. Yes, you can take your victory lap. You've earned it this year. Jim has done a great job at mid season for sure. Never more happy to be wrong as a fan.

You may be right about other P5 programs, but dismissing L would have been a catastrophic mistake unless we had a Brad Stevens lined up to replace him (we didn’t and that’s a silly counterfactual to emphasize how dumb it would have been to fire L).

L is as good of a human being as he is a basketball coach… and he is an extraordinary basketball coach. Circumstances sucked the last few years, and not every move was perfect… but the ignorant vitriol on this board was just insane.

L is smarter than everyone on this board and has forgotten more about basketball than the entire knowledge base of everyone on this board combined.

So I’m thrilled to see L experience the success he has earned… and the perhaps those that slung arrows of ignorance might learn a bit of humility.

Advertisement
Not a former Cane, but someone we recruited heavily - sources from my other alma mater tell me that Mac Entienne, who's out with an ACL tear, got arrested following UCLA's loss to Zona last night for spitting on a fan.

Advertisement
Actually, Charlie Moore was quite good at DePaul. In 2019-20, he averaged 15.5 ppg, 6.1 apg and 3.5 TOs. Last season at DePaul, he averaged 14.4 ppg, 4.2 apg and 3.3 TOs.

Where he has markedly improved at Miami is with his 3 pt shooting. At DePaul, he shot .317 and .346. This season at UM, he's up to .386. He's always been a primary scorer though.

Actually, Charlie Moore was quite good at DePaul. In 2019-20, he averaged 15.5 ppg, 6.1 apg and 3.5 TOs. Last season at DePaul, he averaged 14.4 ppg, 4.2 apg and 3.3 TOs.

Where he has markedly improved at Miami is with his 3 pt shooting. At DePaul, he shot .317 and .346. This season at UM, he's up to .386. He's always been a primary scorer though.
He has dropped his turnovers from 3.5 and 3.3 at DePaul to 2.0 at Miami. Steals are also up to 2.2 from 1.1 and 1.5. Field goals are up to .440 from .376 and .407.

He has dropped his turnovers from 3.5 and 3.3 at DePaul to 2.0 at Miami. Steals are also up to 2.2 from 1.1 and 1.5. Field goals are up to .440 from .376 and .407.
As you said, a pleasant surprise at this stage of his college career.

And while I'm here, Arkansas' won 7 in a row, and Lykes has been out of the rotation for a good chunk of the winning streak.

Basically confirms something I've suspected for a while - Lykes doesn't contribute to winning basketball.
Very rarely do you play winning basketball when your pg is your primary scorer. Especially when he’s a contested shot maker because of his size. I’d much rather marvel at his ability on the other team and take my chances of him going off than him being our lead guy. Still surprising to hear he hasn’t found a primary role as a offensive spark off the bench.

Advertisement
Back