Canes playing elsewhere

Advertisement
#12 Arkansas is undefeated no more, losing big (by 22) to Oklahoma today. Sooners were helped by their 60% 3-point shooting!

Chris Lykes played 30 minutes off the bench; wasn't very helpful in the 2nd half: 0 for 5, 3 PFs, 1 TO.

#12 Arkansas is undefeated no more, losing big (by 22) to Oklahoma today. Sooners were helped by their 60% 3-point shooting!

Chris Lykes played 30 minutes off the bench; wasn't very helpful in the 2nd half: 0 for 5, 3 PFs, 1 TO.
Porter Moser showing his skills in a big-time conference. A helluva coach, however unglamorous.

W9 L1 Arkansas is still ranked 24th, and a big favorite over Hofstra tonight...But Hofstra is leading by 8 at the half!!

Our buddy Chris Lykes is leading scorer for the Ark, all of 8 points, 2 for 5, off the bench.

Well, its still early. Only Hoftime in Hofstra!

UPD: Literally, No Joy Tonight in (NY) Mudville (which hogs are supposed to love, right?), as 6-5 Hofstra hangs on for an 89-81 upset.
Chris ends up with 19 off the bench, on 5 for 11.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Memphis did beat a decent Cincinnati team today, with Timberlake starting. But he had zero points. Coming on the heels of Moore ( + Wong + McGusty +++the rest of Team2022Terriffic) I'm enjoying that stat a bit too much.

Frankly I could care less what those guys are doing on other teams. Moore has been an upgrade over Lykes and Miller has been worlds better than Timberlake. The kid from Stony Brook was mediocre for us last year and knew his minutes would suffer if he stayed. Brooks was a major disappointment last year in all but 2-3 games.

Advertisement
Frankly I could care less what those guys are doing on other teams. Moore has been an upgrade over Lykes and Miller has been worlds better than Timberlake. The kid from Stony Brook was mediocre for us last year and knew his minutes would suffer if he stayed. Brooks was a major disappointment last year in all but 2-3 games.

I do wish we had Brooks but I think he thought he was better than he is. He’s not good enough to be a feature guy… but he’s a great front court depth piece.

Memphis did beat a decent Cincinnati team today, with Timberlake starting. But he had zero points. Coming on the heels of Moore ( + Wong + McGusty +++the rest of Team2022Terriffic) I'm enjoying that stat a bit too much.
I hope Timberlake figures it out, but I'm not going to lie, I wasn't impressed by him in the least last season. I've never seen a high end guard be so awkward shooting the rock, his shot is a complete disaster area. He doesn't have a strong handle, his one strong suit was his ability to defend. I don't get how he was listed as a 4 star.

Lykes was a guy that should have been an instant O guy off the bench. He isn't a good distributor of the rock, he's a shoot first combo guard that struggles to finish around the rim, due to his lack of size. Honestly, he's a smaller version of Quan Newton. For what L does to work, you need a true PG, and he failed in that area for a couple of years, he should have probably chosen to go with Manu Lecomte, who turned out to be exactly what the Miami O would have needed after Angel. Quan was a guy that we all thought would develop into a PG, but it just wasn't for him, he lacked the ability to be that kind of player.

While Moore isn't a huge guard, he's big enough to where he isn't getting swallowed up by every big out there. Honestly, you can see the offense improve with Moore, because he isn't a shoot first guy, he's a distributor that can get his own. Lykes just couldn't run the O the way L wants it, and that's a problem. I would love to have Lykes on this roster for depth and to be able to plug in another explosive scorer off the bench, but it is what it is. Brooks would have been a solid depth piece, he is a physical big that could at least give additional rebounding support.

Just watched (most of) Arkansas at Nbr 12 LSU. They dropped out of the rankings a few weeks ago, but still are decent, and Chris Lykes is still the 6th man off the bench.

Not Chris' day... he played most of 2nd half was 2 for 11 / 0 for 3, 1 TO 4PF. Yet, with 3.5 minutes to go the score was tied 58-58. Coach finally had seen enough and took him out, for the remainder of the game. Lykesless Arkansas then went on to upset LSU 65-58 with a flawless finish.

Dejas vu?

Advertisement
I hope Timberlake figures it out, but I'm not going to lie, I wasn't impressed by him in the least last season. I've never seen a high end guard be so awkward shooting the rock, his shot is a complete disaster area. He doesn't have a strong handle, his one strong suit was his ability to defend. I don't get how he was listed as a 4 star.
That was his rep coming out of DeMatha. TBH, I wasn't that impressed with his scoring or defense here at Miami.

Timberlake went 1-8 for 2 points, with 8 rebounds and 3 turnovers in Memphis' loss to something called "Eastern Carolina." I have mad respect for Lykes and generally liked Brooks, Olaniyi and Cross. For some reason though, I find Timberlake and Memphis both being complete garbage delightfully entertaining.

This alone makes Larranaga dead man walking. He brings in a guy on his 4th program to replace Lykes. Not like Moore plays defense either. Incompetency of the highest order.

Sorry but with this thread getting bumped I just had to quote this because there are so many bad takes putting heat on L.

Moore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lykes

Advertisement
Sorry but with this thread getting bumped I just had to quote this because there are so many bad takes putting heat on L.

Moore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lykes
Bad take my ***. Moore came in as a turnover machine and not exactly a 3 point sniper or a huge assist guy. He was awful early, especially against UCF and Dayton.

Anybody who expected anywhere close to this is full of ****. He is playing at an All-Conference level.

I am more than happy to be wrong.

Last edited:
Bad take my ***. Moore came in as a turnover machine and not exactly a 3 point sniper or a huge assist guy. He was awful early, especially against UCF and Dayton.

Anybody who expected anywhere close to this is full of ****. He is playing at an All-Conference level.

I am more than happy to be wrong.

It’s a bad take because its totally wrong. You really don’t think that Coach L saw what he believed was Moore’s potential before he brought him in? When we were all *****ing about Moore early in the season, Coach L was publicly saying how important Moore was to this team.

So yeah. Bad take. Horrible take. Unless you would trade Moore for Lykes today.

It’s a bad take because its totally wrong. You really don’t think that Coach L saw what he believed was Moore’s potential before he brought him in? When we were all *****ing about Moore early in the season, Coach L was publicly saying how important Moore was to this team.

So yeah. Bad take. Horrible take. Unless you would trade Moore for Lykes today.
I realize you are a Larranaga guy, but nothing in his previous 3 school gave any indicator that Moore would play at an All-Conference level.

Of course Moore was going to be important. Unless you want to play Joseph there was no PG options. He was awful early. As I said I am glad I was wrong. I will gladly take the L.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back