Canes players say Tyler Van Dyke is the real deal

I think the issue is more about development. That includes maturity. Perry and Williams were highly rated out of high school. Both had showed signs of ability, but also have had their faults including lack of maturity. Kaaya was a very good QB. He holds the passing records at UM. I think he would have been all ACC 1st or 2nd team his senior year had he returned.

I think too much of the blame has been placed on the QBs. I believe it has been a combination of many things including the offense itself. The biggest issue to me has been the offensive line play. Pass blocking was terrible which affected QB accuracy and completion %. We relied heavily on the passing game which did not suit us given the porous pass blocking. Better line play would provide a better running game that benefits the QB. We were atrocious in the running game last year. We were near the bottom in nearly all rushing statistics among all D-1 schools:

Rush Play % 44.95% (#112)
Yards/Rush 3.5 (#119)
Rushes/Game 30.8 (#117)
Rush Yards/Game 106.7 (#122)

These kind of numbers put too much pressure on the QB to make plays against a defense that knows you can't run the ball and can't pass block either.
A lot of those rushing statistics were negatively affected by sacks. The two running backs with the most carries averaged 6.0 and 5.1 yards per carry. When they put effort into actually running the ball, they did well. It’s just that if a run got stuffed on first down, it immediately got abandoned on second and third down. Miami was 128th in sacks allowed with 51 for -318 yards. Only Akron and Old Dominion gave up more sacks. Syracuse would probably have joined the list had they made a bowl.

Advertisement
Obviously a system that requires a lot of pre-and post snap reads, requires a lot more time to instruct than they are given, and if the players are not willing to put in a ton of extra time on their own, it’s also futile.

And a system that requires you to recruit and develop an oline that can handle the extra burden of giving the qb that extra time to make those post snap reads. It became woefully apparent the oline was the weak link in that foundation.

About time we are stacking talent in our QB room. The previous staff's innabitlity to recruit this position was sickening.
Do like current staff but glad we have QB bodies at least. Going back to Randy, we seem to only have one and 1/2 QBs at a time - sometimes just the 1/2.

The line was bad. But the QB’s on a lot of sacks held the ball for 5+ seconds.

it was a combination of a lot of things that went wrong with the O last year. Some of those long play action fakes where you have Donaldson pulling from LG across to try and block the end on the opposite side??? GTFOH

Advertisement
His HS film was definitely real deal material. He's gotta just work his a** off and improve from now until 2021 and he should be the favorite to start unless we pull another big time transfer.

To be honest You might not like Rosier but he had more maturity then we have all around. Now if TVD HAS ALL THIS AND THE ACCURACY WITH THE ARM STRENTGH SH...T WE GOT A CHANCE PERIOD. My thing is our qb room has been so bad that I think there are highschool kids that could do better.
Kosi I was a fan to be honest but he just doesn't have it at all. Im sorry but he has had to many chances its time to move on. Tate needs to graduate and go work on a shrimp boat lol.

The line was bad. But the QB’s on a lot of sacks held the ball for 5+ seconds.

it was a combination of a lot of things that went wrong with the O last year. Some of those long play action fakes where you have Donaldson pulling from LG across to try and block the end on the opposite side??? GTFOH
It was a perfect diarrhea storm of inexperienced offensive linemen, a quarterback that held the ball waaaay too long and an offense that did nothing to mask the line's deficiencies. Also, add the fact that because the offense moved at a snail's pace, it was often impossible to audible out of an obvious bad situation because the play clock was about to hit zero. So many times, I saw the offense line up and the defense was giving them a look that they could not counter based on personnel or formation but they had to go ahead and run the doomed play because the only other option would be to take a delay of game penalty.

Jeez the image of them lined up inside the 5 against FIU with only one DB covering two WR but still having to run the run play that was called in the huddle haunts me like the image of linebackers lined up 10 yards off the line against Georgia Tech. Nightmare stuff.

Advertisement
Do other team’s fans try to downplay and discredit a player’s potential or just Miami fans?
In our defense, it seems like we have been mislead more than other fanbases in regard to player potential. Remember when we were told how accurate Malik Rosier was?

To be honest You might not like Rosier but he had more maturity then we have all around. Now if TVD HAS ALL THIS AND THE ACCURACY WITH THE ARM STRENTGH SH...T WE GOT A CHANCE PERIOD. My thing is our qb room has been so bad that I think there are highschool kids that could do better.
Kosi I was a fan to be honest but he just doesn't have it at all. Im sorry but he has had to many chances its time to move on. Tate needs to graduate and go work on a shrimp boat lol.
Rosier suffered from pre-jack. The worst thing for us. He got us all hot and bothered and when it was time to give it to us. He shot his load....

Yup he showed up in the biggest moments in 2017 and was key for our big season.
He was irrelevant in the ND game, horrid against V.Tech outside of some runs and 40% completion rate against FSU. So that's him showing up for our big 2017 wins? He also single handedly lost the Wisconsin bowl game thus ruining any sort of momentum going into 2018.

He was irrelevant in the ND game, horrid against V.Tech outside of some runs and 40% completion rate against FSU. So that's him showing up for our big 2017 wins? He also single handedly lost the Wisconsin bowl game thus ruining any sort of momentum going into 2018.
He did was his part in the VT and Notre Dame games. He still put up 4TDs but yes those INTs were bad against VT. Our whole team played like **** against Wisconsin. Defense got absolutely carved up by a Bum QB.

Advertisement
Nah man.

All rosier had to do was win the Pitt game and the dude admitted he didn't prepare properly for the game which determined the coastal champ.

He is dead to me.

A few years ago all you heard was Perry was lighting it up in practice. If they'd just put him in instead of Rosier we'd win it all.
Nah we wouldn't have won it all chill lol....that team was fun but wasn't as good as people think. Could of been an ugly season easily. It was a fun year though the best year of excitement ever for me as a fan.

Pump the brakes this was said about JW last year.

And?

They are two completely different players being taught by completely different coaches in a completely different offense.

The past has 0% to do with today and the future.

Advertisement
And? They are two completely different players being taught by completely different coaches in a completely different offense.

The past has 0% to do with today and the future.
Just comparing off season hypes throughout recent memory especially the qb position. It could be different your right but I'm on that "do it the whole season talk" not this off-season train. I guess previous seasons ruined that off season hype for me...at times I get geeked but I remember when I got geeked before and relax and look at things realistically.

A couple things I remember from Wisconsin was then mauling our DL with no penalties. And their WR were making circus catches even on the plays we had tight coverage.

Still a ****** performance

Nah we wouldn't have won it all chill lol....that team was fun but wasn't as good as people think. Could of been an ugly season easily. It was a fun year though the best year of excitement ever for me as a fan.
I was talking about the hype back then.

Rosier sucks, put in Perry, he killed it in practice.
Perry sucks, put in Williams, he killed it in practice.

Advertisement
Back