Canes players say Tyler Van Dyke is the real deal

I get what you're saying but I don't think it's meant to be discrediting towards TVD, more of a "heard this many times before" situation. Going back to Kyle Wright we've been hearing about the next big thing at QB for us every year for 15 years now.

I get that but if you feel that way, why even click on the thread? It says right in the title what it’s about. To click on the thread and proceed to dump on his prospects bc a lot of the past QBs haven’t been good is trying to discredit him. I think TVD has big time potential and all reports about him have been positive so why try to create negativity(not you in particular)?

Normal teams fans would be penciling him for a future Heisman while ours are like nah, he can’t be good bc some other QBs before him wasn’t good.

Advertisement
Hopefully we can have a few comfortable wins this season to get him some burn in mop-up duty. It seems like we haven't been able to do that (outside of Bethune or Savannah St) in a while.

I get that but if you feel that way, why even click on the thread? It says right in the title what it’s about. To click on the thread and proceed to dump on his prospects bc a lot of the past QBs haven’t been good is trying to discredit him. I think TVD has big time potential and all reports about him have been positive so why try to create negativity(not you in particular)?

Normal teams fans would be penciling him for a future Heisman while ours are like nah, he can’t be good bc some other QBs before him wasn’t good.
All good points and you're correct. Maybe I'm wrong, as it's hard to judge sarcasm on a message board sometimes, but I just feel a lot of the negative comments are more poking fun at our inability to recruit and develop a QB since the turn of the century than a dig at TVD (who I happen to think will be great)

Fact...And I always got clowned for bringing up these facts in defense of 12. I always defended 12 while here..Still I think 2018 Rosier had whatever confidence he did have broken by the musical chair version of QB swap we used..that said my man was barely a power 5 level QB as a SR

Yup he showed up in the biggest moments in 2017 and was key for our big season.

Richt knows his football. He was just too slow adjusting to the modern changes in the game. He came from an era where freshmen never started and there was a lot more practice time and contact with coaches allowed.

Guys like him and Enos use systems that require a ton of decisions pre and post snap without a lot of time to make them. They asked too much of guys who were young and had much less 11 on 11 practice.

There is a reason freshman quarterbacks are tearing it up nowadays like never before. Modern offensive coordinators are more flexible and use systems that make decisions simpler and easier, so they can let a young guy play to his strength and not think himself out of the game.

This is one of the better posts on this subject. Something given little consideration is the fact that as you mentioned, these old school guys, were used to running a type of offense that required more time to learn than the coaches in today’s NCAA limited practice environment have. Obviously a system that requires a lot of pre-and post snap reads, requires a lot more time to instruct than they are given, and if the players are not willing to put in a ton of extra time on their own, it’s also futile.

Which is why the type of offense that I think/hope we are going to have will eliminate some of that burden - quick easy reads, quick decisions, get rid of the ball one way or the other. I can only hope.

Advertisement
In the limited sample size that teammates have seen him, freshman quarterback Tyler Van Dyke is the real deal. Those were the exact words used by two Canes offensive players.

Van Dyke was only on campus less than two months before classes were suspended due to coronavirus. He and teammates participated in just four spring practices.

But two players on the team said there’s something different about him — in a very good way.

One said he’s really, really good — the best of the quarterbacks competing to back up D’Eriq King. He’s accurate, bright, has a maturity about him and a strong arm. “He’s a gunslinger,” the other said
Both expect him to be the starter in a post-D’Eriq King era, either immediately or soon after.

Barry Jackson

I don't give a ***** about this article or what those "2 players" allegedly said about tvd, cause around 99 percent of the players on this have no credibility, especially on the offensive side of the ball, I'd be impressed if he brad kaaya'd the damyum thing over the Captain and king, that would be a start. But until he actually plays in games and help be the cause of us winning them, only than do I want to hear about em, right now, he's just another qb recruit at UM.

Advertisement
It’s funny to watch the responses from the PTCD crowd who refuse to accept something good is happening to us.

(Post Traumatic Canes Disorder)

I don't think it's "refusing to accept something good is happening"
It's more waiting for it to actually happen before celebrating.

I don't think it's "refusing to accept something good is happening"
It's more waiting for it to actually happen before celebrating.

We've had three years of constant struggle at QB going into spring, fall and the regular season. Hearing a young QB is showing all the qualities we have been missing isn't celebrating as much as a semi-sigh of relief.

Don't think anyone here is crowning DVD, just happy to hear he is progressing.

When you hear Greentree All American, 15 years or not be fooled, that's all about protecting feelings.

Advertisement
Advertisement
About time we are stacking talent in our QB room. The previous staff's innabitlity to recruit this position was sickening.
I think the issue is more about development. That includes maturity. Perry and Williams were highly rated out of high school. Both had showed signs of ability, but also have had their faults including lack of maturity. Kaaya was a very good QB. He holds the passing records at UM. I think he would have been all ACC 1st or 2nd team his senior year had he returned.

I think too much of the blame has been placed on the QBs. I believe it has been a combination of many things including the offense itself. The biggest issue to me has been the offensive line play. Pass blocking was terrible which affected QB accuracy and completion %. We relied heavily on the passing game which did not suit us given the porous pass blocking. Better line play would provide a better running game that benefits the QB. We were atrocious in the running game last year. We were near the bottom in nearly all rushing statistics among all D-1 schools:

Rush Play % 44.95% (#112)
Yards/Rush 3.5 (#119)
Rushes/Game 30.8 (#117)
Rush Yards/Game 106.7 (#122)

These kind of numbers put too much pressure on the QB to make plays against a defense that knows you can't run the ball and can't pass block either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back