Canes NFL Draft Projections

jkh305

Sophomore
With the Draft 2 weeks away thought I'd give my projections with a small scouting report for each of our prospects.

Te Njoku (1st-2nd)- Athletic freak. Pro-bowl potential. Hands can be inconsistent. Makes a hard catch, drops the easy one. Can engage more as a blocker, but will be flexed out at the next level. Walking mismatch.

Cb Elder (2nd-3rd)- Undersized sub-package corner that would ideally be faster. Ultra-competitive. A fighter who isn't afraid to come up and put his facemask into a ball-carrier. Effective slot blitzer. High-School Rb with Punt Return ability. Very nice player w/size limitations.

S Jenkins (3rd-4th)- One of the draft's most underrated prospects. Size & speed combo w/solid ball-skills & IQ. Produced throughout college career. Interchangeable safety that can cover the deep half of the field and is physical enough in-the-box. Can be hesitant at times and man coverage could improve, but is a starter in the league.

Og Isidora (3rd-4th)- Solid size w/strong base. Underrated athlete. Doesn't "win" blocks, but holds ground. Hands are his best assets. A smart multi-year college starter in a pro-style offense. A long-time pro best suited for a zone-scheme.

Qb Kaaya (3rd-4th)- A statue in the pocket. Can make every throw given time. When things break down so does he. Leadership skills & big-game moxie are question marks. Developmental prospect that could work in a system that focuses on rhythm & timing. Good head on his shoulders. Will put in time and say the right things.

Wr Coley (4th-5th)- A pure talent who rests too much on said talent. Emotional player. Coaches & scouts have questioned work ethic. Smooth, effortless speed. Solid hands & good body-control. Big-Play threat w/nice wiggle when ball is in his hands. Route-running and understanding of positional nuances need major work. If he ever "gets it" could be very successful, but could also just as easily flame out. Durability has been an issue.

S Carter (5th-6th)- Body-beautiful. Special Teams player. Non-existent ball skills. If he can cover Te's & Rb's could carve out a niche.

De Muhammad (6th-7th)- Thinks he is much better than he is. Probably not worth the headache. If he was more realistic he could be an effective rotational pass-rusher. Talent level is 4th or 5th but baggage weighs him down.

P Vogel (6th-7th)- Good directional punter. Lacks powerful leg and not handling KO duties hurts value.

Rb Yearby (Undrafted)- Dime a dozen back. Lacks straight-line speed. Makes up for it with good shake. Needs to focus on hands & pass-protection, as his only chance of "making it" is as a 3rd down back. Reminds me of the various scat backs who have played for the Patriots over the years.

Cb Colbert (Undrafted)- Track guy with top-end speed. Lacks experience & NFL instincts. Stiff hips. Might stick on a Practice Squad where he could refine skills with NFL coaching. The definition of a project. Injury ?'s.

Lb Grace (Undrafted)- Too small for the NFL. Will get ate up by blockers & have trouble disengaging. Extremely scheme-dependent. Practice Squad player w/some upside.

Fb Williams (Undrafted)- Solid lead-blocker, who is a dying breed in the changing NFL. Might be phased out before he ever gets a chance.

Wr Lewis (Undrafted)- Never was the same after gruesome ankle injury. Hopefully will catch on with a Practice Squad.

De Dobard (Undrafted)- A blocking TE who never produced. Switching to DE W/good 40 should get him a longer look than he would have if he stayed at TE.

C Gall (Undrafted)- LOL

Last edited:
Advertisement
1st - David Njoku
2nd -
3rd - Corn Elder, Danny Isadora, Brad Kaaya
4th - Rayshawn Jenkins
5th - Stacy Coley
6th -
7th/UDFA - Jamal Carter, Adrian Colbert, Joe Yearby, Al-Quadin Muhamad

Last edited:
**** looks like we will have a big draft class

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Colbert goes undrafted, someone is going to get a steal. He has size, speed, work ethic, and isn't afraid to hit. My Dolphins could use him!

Yearby is much better than guys who have consistently made an NFL roster.

Corn can be a CB2 in the league not just a sub-package blitzer.

Grace is not too small for the NFL, it's a matchup league.

How can you tell Colbert lacks NFL instincts? His ball-skills/playmaking seemed fine to me whenever he was healthy.

Advertisement
Jkh,

Nice write up. My only disagreement is with Colbert. Has great size, speed and toughness for a CB. Injuries in '16 cut short his potential to show his stuff. I see him being drafted in rounds 5-6.

Let's see.

Yearby is much better than guys who have consistently made an NFL roster.

Corn can be a CB2 in the league not just a sub-package blitzer.

Grace is not too small for the NFL, it's a matchup league.

How can you tell Colbert lacks NFL instincts? His ball-skills/playmaking seemed fine to me whenever he was healthy.

I tell it how it is. You tell it how it might be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Grace is a specialty player who will only work as a Nickle LB in certain schemes. Even at a bulked up 220, he's still way too small to play every down in the NFL. He was a good but not great player here.

Muhammad on the other hand, is NFL ready. He'll get drafted late by a smart team and end up being a productive pass rusher. We never got to see him in the current scheme but he was literally the only guy who got any pressure under D'Onofrio.

Vogel- Very few NFL punters ever see a kickoff or field goal. He will get a long look somewhere.
Grace- Buccaneer linebackers go 227, 225,229,233, and 236. 224 is not too small in the NFL if you have speed and aggression.
Kaaya- Leadership skills are not a problem. Movement is.
Coley- In the NBA you can't teach height. In the NFL you can't teach speed. I see him as a steal.

Grace is a specialty player who will only work as a Nickle LB in certain schemes. Even at a bulked up 220, he's still way too small to play every down in the NFL. He was a good but not great player here.

Muhammad on the other hand, is NFL ready. He'll get drafted late by a smart team and end up being a productive pass rusher. We never got to see him in the current scheme but he was literally the only guy who got any pressure under D'Onofrio.

Grace wasnt a great player here? He was the best player on our defense 2 years ago as a first year guy.

Advertisement
Njoku- in the 20s.
Elder- late 2/early 3
Coley- 3/4
Kaaya,Jenkins,Isadora- 5/6
Colbert,AQM- 6/7
Carter, Yearby- UDFA

Maybe, but we'll generally disagree on this one. Grace's "specialty" is now a critical need in NFL schemes. Had he played this year in Diaz's scheme, he would have racked up production #s and probably been drafted in the middle rounds. Someone may get lucky with him.

He compares to someone like Kwon Alexander. I think he's actually a more natural coverage backer than Alexander.

Grace wasnt a great player here? He was the best player on our defense 2 years ago as a first year guy.

He started one season here and led a **** poor defense in tackles but made few impact plays. Like I said, solid but not great. He was easily replaced by freshmen this year. Also, I'd say Artie Burns, Deon Bush and Al-Quadin Muhammad have a better claim to "best player on defense 2 years ago" than Grace does.

Advertisement
Back