Canes Hoops (men and women) have an overseas trip to Italy in August 2019. (Great for recruiting)

I am completely against the narrative that Nysier Brooks should sit out this season to play next season.

Brooks, as we know, played in these exhibition games. He seems healthy unlike Gak, who is actually recovering. Who knows how good and when Gak will be ready?

With that said...nobody with an actual brain would want Brooks to sit out. We need help now. We need proven quality talent this year. Assuming Gak was healthy (TODAY), Brooks would be the ONLY one that is quality proven talent.

Advertisement
Brooks, as we know, played in these exhibition games. He seems healthy unlike Gak, who is actually recovering. Who knows how good and when Gak will be ready?

With that said...nobody with an actual brain would want Brooks to sit out. We need help now. We need proven quality talent this year. Assuming Gak was healthy (TODAY), Brooks would be the ONLY one that is quality proven talent.

I agree with you and we should probably use the term "center by committee" so no one get offended. LOL. If all three play (Miller, Brooks and Gak) and can give Miami 24 points and 20 rebounds (combine effort approximated 8 points and 6.5 rebounds each) then Miami should average over 90 points per game because the backcourt has a lot of firepower.

You can cry, moan, and post all you want but Brooks is almost certainly not getting a waiver (and thus not playing) this year.

He is also not 100% healthy... you’ll figure it out.

I’m all for criticizing coaches when it’s due (I was a huge critic of Clark, Haith, Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt), but you’re just WAY off base to go after Coach L like this.

Brooks or not we have a ceiling this year as the team builds chemistry.

We cannot compete at the highest level until Wong and Beverly are up to full speed.

With everyone back next year plus Brooks we are a legit title contender.

Relying on freshman bigs rarely works out unless they are lottery pick caliber players.

This year will be alternating doses of fun and frustration. Next year is the year.

Lucky, what exactly IS the argument for sitting Nysier this season (other than he is ineligible without a waiver)? That we have too many bigs?

Advertisement
Lucky, what exactly IS the argument for sitting Nysier this season (other than he is ineligible without a waiver)? That we have too many bigs?

There is no argument because he’s not getting a waiver.

If he was 100% healthy and eligible for a waiver he would play.

You think you know better than the coaches about his health and eligibility for a waiver? Cool for you.

You can cry, moan, and post all you want but Brooks is almost certainly not getting a waiver (and thus not playing) this year.

He is also not 100% healthy... you’ll figure it out.

I’m all for criticizing coaches when it’s due (I was a huge critic of Clark, Haith, Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt), but you’re just WAY off base to go after Coach L like this.

Brooks or not we have a ceiling this year as the team builds chemistry.

We cannot compete at the highest level until Wong and Beverly are up to full speed.

With everyone back next year plus Brooks we are a legit title contender.

Relying on freshman bigs rarely works out unless they are lottery pick caliber players.

This year will be alternating doses of fun and frustration. Next year is the year.

So no response to my post, great convo.

None. We will have the same amount of bigs next year, maybe more.

Other Cinn transfers have received waivers (due to coaching change) and there is no reason to believe Brooks wouldn’t receive one too.

He clearly is healthy to play in useless exhibition games, but not healthy enough for the season?

That makes a lot of sense.

None. We will have the same amount of bigs next year, maybe more.

Other Cinn transfers have received waivers (due to coaching change) and there is no reason to believe Brooks wouldn’t receive one too.

He clearly is healthy to play in useless exhibition games, but not healthy enough for the season?

That makes a lot of sense.

Ever seen players play out a season and then get surgery? You think playing additional games (even if they’re exhibition) helps to build team cohesion? You know Brooks will be playing with the same guys even if he doesn’t make it on the floor this season, right?

Just follow the program over the coming months and reserve your biting criticism until you actually have the facts.

My problem is with your unfounded attacks - based on pure speculation and bad information.

It’ll be a fun ride this season. Don’t ruin it with ill-informed and inappropriate criticism.

Advertisement
Tangents galore.

Ever seen players play out a season and then get surgery? [/QUOTE]

Yes. This has happened before but this isn't relevant. Brooks is clearly playing in these useless exhibitions games, are you aware of that? So he is healthy enough to play in those games but not healthy to play during the season? Logical.

You think playing additional games (even if they’re exhibition) helps to build team cohesion?

Tangent. Not relevant to whether he would receive a waiver or is healthy. Again, healthy today and healthy enough to play in useless (in terms of counting) exhibition games.

You know Brooks will be playing with the same guys even if he doesn’t make it on the floor this season, right?

Cool beans. Are we still claiming Brooks isn't healthy? He still would get a waiver. How come LaQuill Hardnett got a waiver?

Just follow the program over the coming months and reserve your biting criticism until you actually have the facts.

Oh. I guess these roster management problems haven't been going on for some time now. Please see older posts here:

My problem is with your unfounded attacks - based on pure speculation and bad information.

It’ll be a fun ride this season. Don’t ruin it with ill-informed and inappropriate criticism.

Click ignore. You're not required to read my posts.

There is no argument because he’s not getting a waiver.

If he was 100% healthy and eligible for a waiver he would play.

You think you know better than the coaches about his health and eligibility for a waiver? Cool for you.
Not criticizing, just curious that if he is still unhealthy, why is he playing in meaningless exhibition games?

With that said... Between Miller and Gak I’ll call for 35MPG, 16PPG, 8.5 RPG, 2.5 BPG.

I don't understand where you came up with these numbers. Please note that some of the players below didn't always play the 5.

Let's breakdown the above and compare it to the last 5 seasons.

2018-19

Izundu

PPG: 10.9
RPG: 8.3
BPG: 1.2

Gak: Only Played in 8 Games

PPG: 2.5
RPG: 4.1
BPG: 1.1

Combined:

PPG: 13.4
RPG: 12.4
BPG: 2.3

2017-18

Dewan:

PPG: 11.4
RPG: 6.7
BPG: 1.0

Izundu

PPG: 5.0
RPG: 3.8
BPG: .6

Combined:

PPG: 16.4
RPG: 10.5
BPG: 1.6

2016-17

Murphy:

PPG: 7.1
RPG: 7.3
BPG: .7

Dewan: [He played some 5, so did Izundu, but since his stats were better I included them below]

PPG: 5.8
RPG: 3.1
BPG: .8

Combined

PPG: 12.9
RPG: 10.4
BPG: 1.5

2015-16

Tonye

PPG: 7.6
RPG: 8.6

Murphy:

PPG: 5.6
RPG: 6.0
BPG: .9

Combined

PPG: 13.2
RPG: 14.6
BPG: 1.9

2014-15

Tonye

PPG: 8.6
RPG: 9.9
BPG: 1.4

Uceda:

PPG: 5.2
RPG: 3.5
BPG: .2

Combined:

PPG: 13.8
RPG: 13.4

----------------------------------------

If Miller and Gak (put up your predicted numbers)...

1. They would score more points than any other combo except 2017-18. Keep in mind Dewan actually produced on the court prior to this season in 2016-17. As did other players. For these two (Miller and Gak) to come out of nowhere and score 16 PPG would be a tremendous improvement over the prior season. Clearly more than any other combo.

2. They would have the least amount of rebounds. This prediction makes no sense. If these two combine for 35 MPG and only average 8.5 RPG, that would be incredibly poor production given the burn.

3. They would have more blocks than any other combo. Keep in mind, in 2014-15, Tonye averaged the most blocks over this time frame. That would be quite impressive that they combined to have more than any other combo.

Advertisement
Not criticizing, just curious that if he is still unhealthy, why is he playing in meaningless exhibition games?

Game experience to build team chemistry.

If he doesn’t play this year - which I suspect will be the case - he has a full year to heal and get 100% healthy (if what I’ve heard is correct).

I don't understand where you came up with these numbers. Please note that some of the players below didn't always play the 5.

Let's breakdown the above and compare it to the last 5 seasons.

2018-19

Izundu

PPG: 10.9
RPG: 8.3
BPG: 1.2

Gak: Only Played in 8 Games

PPG: 2.5
RPG: 4.1
BPG: 1.1

Combined:

PPG: 13.4
RPG: 12.4
BPG: 2.3

2017-18

Dewan:

PPG: 11.4
RPG: 6.7

Izundu

PPG: 5.0
RPG: 3.8
BPG: .6

Combined:

PPG: 16.4
RPG: 10.5

2016-17

Murphy:

PPG: 7.1
RPG: 7.3
BPG: .7

Dewan: [He played some 5, so did Izundu, but since his stats were better I included them below]

PPG: 5.8
RPG: 3.1
BPG: .8

Combined

PPG: 12.9
RPG: 10.4
BPG: 1.5

2015-16

Tonye

PPG: 7.6
RPG: 8.6

Murphy:

PPG: 5.6
RPG: 6.0
BPG: .9

Combined

PPG: 13.2
RPG: 14.6
BPG: 1.9

2014-15

Tonye

PPG: 8.6
RPG: 9.9
BPG: 1.4

Uceda:

PPG: 5.2
RPG: 3.5
BPG: .2

Combined:

PPG: 13.8
RPG: 13.4

----------------------------------------

If Miller and Gak (put up your predicted numbers)...

1. They would score more points than any other combo except 2017-18. Keep in mind Dewan actually produced on the court prior to this season in 2016-17. As did other players. For these two (Miller and Gak) to come out of nowhere and score 16 PPG would be a tremendous improvement over the prior season. Clearly more than any other combo.

2. They would have the least amount of rebounds. This prediction makes no sense. If these two combine for 35 MPG and only average 8.5 RPG, that would be incredibly poor production given the burn.

3. They would have more blocks than any other combo. Keep in mind, in 2014-15, Tonye averaged the most blocks over this time frame. That would be quite impressive that they combined to have more than any other combo.

There will be more team rebounding this year. I might have been a bit low in my rebounds prediction, but I don’t see Miller or Gak being a beast on the boards this year. I hope I’m wrong.

As you noted, Gak averaged over 1 BPG in the games he played last year. I was vacillating between 1.5 and 2.5 BPG combined but I went high because I think their size and defensive focus will be a pleasant surprise.

I see Miller giving us 8-10 ppg and Gak 6-8.

The competition on the Europe trip was better than everyone was initially crediting.

With that said... Between Miller and Gak I’ll call for 35MPG, 16PPG, 8.5 RPG, 2.5 BPG.

Now let's look at this a different way. If Miller and Gak combined for those stats above, how would this look in terms of IMPROVEMENT during Coach L's era. Just to review, since 2011-12, here are the best numbers for certain big men (with the prior season too):

1. Tonye (5)

2014-15: 8.6 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 1.4 BPG and 30.3 MPG
2013-14: 4.2 PPG, 5.5 RPG, .9 BPG and 21.4 MPG

2. Izundu (5)

2018-19: 10.9 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.2 BPG and 27.5 MPG
2017-18: 5.0 PPG, 3.8 RPG, .6 BPG and 14.6 MPG

3. Huell (4)

2017-18: 11.4 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 1.0 BPG and 25.8 MPG
2016-17: 5.8 PPG, 3.1 RPG, .8 BPG and 17.4 MPG

4. Kadji (4)

2012-13: 12.9 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 1.3 BPG and 29.1 MPG
2011-12: 11.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.6 BPG and 27.4 MPG

5. Johnson (5)

2011-12: 10 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 1.0 BPG and 26.2 MPG
2010-11: 11.9 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 1.3 BPG and 26.0 MPG [Before Coach L]

6. Murphy (5)

2016-17: 7.1 PPG, 7.3 RPG, .7 BPG and 29.4 MPG
2015-16: 5.6 PPG, 6.0 RPG, .9 BPG and 24.9 MPG

----------------------------------

Then there is Rodney...

2016-17: 1.0 PPG, .6 RPG, .1 BPG and 4.1 MPG
2017-18: 1.2 PPG, .5 RPG, .1 BPG and 3.5 RPG
2018-19: A completely healthy player redshirted during his third season when scholarship numbers were incredibly low.

Then there is Gak...

2017-18: Redshirt
2018-19: 2.5 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 1.1 BPG and 14.6 MPG

----------------------------------

This improvement would be completely illogical and unheard of based on the above.

Advertisement
As you noted, Gak averaged over 1 BPG in the games he played last year.

He played 8 games and they were against the worst competition. I actually like Gak and see more potential out of him, especially over Rodney. But 8 games is an incredibly small sample size.

I see Miller giving us 8-10 ppg and Gak 6-8.

Do you realize how much of an improvement that would be for Miller? Compare that any other 5 over Coach's career at UM. Nothing would be close. According to you, Miller may average ~8x - 10x more PPG this season. Insane improvement.

He played 8 games and they were against the worst competition. I actually like Gak and see more potential out of him, especially over Rodney. But 8 games is an incredibly small sample size.

Do you realize how much of an improvement that would be for Miller? Compare that any other 5 over Coach's career at UM. Nothing would be close. According to you, Miller may average ~8x - 10x more PPG this season. Insane improvement.

Miller averaged just under 10ppg in Italy. He was reported as having 2 blocks in one game... I haven’t seen full stat sheets.

They played two professional teams and a Lithuanian college team. See the write up a few pages back of the competition in Italy. Both the pro teams had 6’11” guys.

I could well have been too optimistic in my PPG, but I think Miller is going to surprise offensively. And I think Gak will be a beast defensively.

But really, my opinions are irrelevant... because I’m nothing more than a fan.

I just happen to know enough to know that your bashing the coaches over transfers and Brooks likely not playing this year is wrong and unwarranted.

Miller averaged just under 10ppg in Italy.

I stopped here because I don't think you understand at all. Italy doesn't count. It wasn't real. It was a few games. The competition sucked, the competition was the best, or in between. It wasn't a real game and was very different from college rules (did you notice they played quarters?).

The numbers that I posted above actually happened during real games. They actually happened as the bullets were flying.

So my question for you is very simple. According to you, Miller will show the MOST improvement and certainly more than any other big man (during Coach L's tenure). Do you think it is logical to expect that based on the numbers and the improvement of every other big man (above)?

I stopped here because I don't think you understand at all. Italy doesn't count. It wasn't real. It was a few games. The competition sucked, the competition was the best, or in between. It wasn't a real game and was very different from college rules (did you notice they played quarters?).

The numbers that I posted above actually happened during real games. They actually happened as the bullets were flying.

So my question for you is very simple. According to you, Miller will show the MOST improvement and certainly more than any other big man (during Coach L's tenure). Do you think it is logical to expect that based on the numbers and the improvement of every other big man (above)?

This is exhausting.

I think that the teams we played in Italy wanted to win - if for nothing more than competitive nature, pride, and bragging rights (beating an ACC team).

Do stat lines from Italy predict the season? Absolutely of course not.

Are they available data points that have more than zero value? Yes.

Again - bottom line:

My opinions are irrelevant... because I’m nothing more than a fan.

I just happen to know enough to know that your bashing the coaches over “missed” transfers and Brooks likely not playing this year is wrong and unwarranted.

Advertisement
Back