Canes Hoops (men and women) have an overseas trip to Italy in August 2019. (Great for recruiting)

Wrong point of view about the Center position: By committee, Miami should be fine.

I have looked at Rodney Miller the wrong way. I think the basketball team needs a 20-10 big to make it to the NCAA tournament and I have not seen that from Rodney Miller to this point. But that is not his fault, it is mine. I am looking at the situation from the wrong point of view. It would be nice if Rodney Miller was a consistent 20-10 big man and he could develop into that at some point. But if not and I think this is more realistic, if Rodney Miller, Nysier Brooks and Deng Gak all average 8 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 17 to 20 minutes per game then Miami will be just fine.

That combined effort would give Miami 24 points, 21 rebounds and 4 blocks from the center position. Add that to the returning experienced firepower (Lykes, Vasiljevic, McGusty and Waardenburg should combine for 50 points per game) along with the freshman firepower (Wong, Beverly and Walker should combine for 20 plus points per game) plus another 10 points from Keith Stone. Those very achievable totals would mean Miami would average over 100 points per game. I would say I like our chances to win as long as we defend.

So with the right point of view, the center position will be fine by committee this season as long as Brooks is eligible and Gak is healthy.

Advertisement
CanesHoops posted: "Canes close the first half on a 38-14 run and lead BC Silute, 51-43."

That means, we trailed 29-13 at one point. Doesn't sound good that we see these wide point swings. Sounds like a lot of 3 point jacking.

CanesHoops posted: "Canes close the first half on a 38-14 run and lead BC Silute, 51-43."

That means, we trailed 29-13 at one point. Doesn't sound good that we see these wide point swings. Sounds like a lot of 3 point jacking.

Depends on your point of view, similar to boxing. It is not the fact that you got punched in the mouth but how you respond when you get punched in the mouth.

As Mike Tyson once said, everybody has a strategy until I hit them in the mouth.

Spurtability is a good thing per Clark Kellog.

What makes everybody suddenly think Brooks is playing this year? I haven't seen any indication of that.
Think some had heard he could not play this year due to injury/recovery. Hence, no attempt to get a waiver of the rule requiring xsfers to sit out a year. Then ... we see he's playing on this Italy trip. If he's OK to play, why no waiver request? No grounds?

Advertisement
My thought exactly. Why no attempt for a waiver so he can play this year? I thought the rationale for not submitting a waiver request was that he needed this season to "recover" anyway, so just let the idea of a waiver go. To have much of a chance, we need him and his big man skills ... now!

Because we like the roster management issues we’ve had for numerous seasons now and we want to continue the trend.

What were the Cincinnati issues that caused him to transfer? Any grounds there for a waiver request?

Advertisement
Given that he is playing on this exhibition trip, can't see a reason not to request a waiver to allow him to play in 2019-20. Only thing I can think of is maybe his academics aren't where they need to be. What else is there?

I would guess academics would not be an issue if he has already been admitted to the school. I cannot think of a reason why he would not play this year.

Given that he is playing on this exhibition trip, can't see a reason not to request a waiver to allow him to play in 2019-20. Only thing I can think of is maybe his academics aren't where they need to be. What else is there?

There is no legitimate reason other then wanting less eligible quality proven talent on the team.

PLAYER STAT HIGHLIGHTS
Harlond Beverly: three points, two rebounds
Nysier Brooks: five points, two rebounds
Chris Lykes: eight points, four assists, four steals
Kameron McGusty: 13 points, five rebounds, four steals
Rodney Miller, Jr.: 12 points, five rebounds
DJ Vasiljevic: nine points, four assists
Sam Waardenburg: three points, 10 rebounds, two blocks
Anthony Walker: 11 points, four rebounds, four steals
Isaiah Wong: 17 points, three assists, four steals

“On the trip as a whole, senior guard DJ Vasiljevic led Miami in scoring (16.3), while Waardenburg paced the team in rebounding (10.0), McGusty did so in assists (4.3) and junior guard Chris Lykes did so in steals (3.0).”

There is no legitimate reason other then wanting less eligible quality proven talent on the team.

You are so breathtakingly bad at this.

Go back to telling us how Rodney is totally useless and we played nobody in Italy.

Brooks won’t play this year. You’ll have plenty to whine and cry about as the team meshes and matures.

Next year (2020) Brooks will be part of a legitimate top-10 team and title contender in Coral Gables.

Advertisement
Go back to telling us how Rodney is totally useless and we played nobody in Italy.

Please post your predictions for his numbers this season.

MPG:

PPG:

RPG:

BPG:

Brooks won’t play this year.

Why? He is healthy. Others from Cinn we're given waivers and Brooks is a senior. Are you aware we have 10 eligible scholarship players before the season starts, is that a good thing?

If the Rodney is all that, he is still eligible next year. Why not have Brooks play this year when we're in desperate need of eligible PROVEN (something Rodney isn't) talent?

Rodney produced some good numbers on this trip, by any standard. Credit where credit is due (again, with no knowlege of who he was up against).

On the other hand, Beverly didn't put up the numbers I expected. Maybe he was hurt? I expect double figures from him this season (maybe even becoming a starter, sooner rather than later). Do I need to reevaluate?

Please post your predictions for his numbers this season.

MPG:

PPG:

RPG:

BPG:

Why? He is healthy. Others from Cinn we're given waivers and Brooks is a senior. Are you aware we have 10 eligible scholarship players before the season starts, is that a good thing?

If the Rodney is all that, he is still eligible next year. Why not have Brooks play this year when we're in desperate need of eligible PROVEN (something Rodney isn't) talent?

Predicting numbers like that is a fools errand. Too many variables and unknowns. With that said... Between Miller and Gak I’ll call for 35MPG, 16PPG, 8.5 RPG, 2.5 BPG.

Cincy wanted Brooks to stay and showed other guys (who have gotten waivers) the door. Also, Brooks is not fully healthy. Also, the 2020 team with Brooks has a shot at competing for a championship.

Advertisement
I am completely against the narrative that Nysier Brooks should sit out this season to play next season.

My 3 reasons why:

1. There is more guaranteed playing time for Nysier this season with the inexperience of Rodney Miller and current injury recovery situation with Deng Gak. As we all should have learned from last season with Rodney Miller, this week you can be the third string who needs to red shirt but a week later you can find out you would have played if you stayed eligible. Brooks is currently #2 on the depth chart as we (fans) don't know when Gak will be healthy and cleared to play nor do we know how good Gak will be when he returns.

2. Miami needs to win this season and re-establish the basketball program as contenders for the ACC championship. Regardless of how or why last season happened, we all need to admit it was a step backwards. Miami needs to put as many talented players on the floor and win this season along with making the NCAA tournament to get back some of the momentum that was last due to last season.

3. The bigs (Lance Ware, John Hugley, Jamille Reynolds, Dylan Cardwell) that are being recruitied by Miami for the 2020 recruiting class are very talented and some would say they are already better players than Brooks. A legit argument could be made that Anthony Walker is a better player than Brooks even though he is undersized. Waiting until next season does not guarantee Brooks more playing time than this season.

It would benefit the basketball program more if Brooks plays this season so Miami can use his scholarship for another freshman in the 2020 recruiting class. IMO, Miami needs to be in win now mode.

Last edited:
Predicting numbers like that is a fools errand. Too many variables and unknowns. With that said... Between Miller and Gak I’ll call for 35MPG, 16PPG, 8.5 RPG, 2.5 BPG.

We're discussing Miller, not Gak. Gak is recovering from surgery, he isn't playing yet. It is a prediction. It is a discussion. Can you please tell me what you think about Miller's stats?

Considering Gak isn't ready to play, what do you think about Miller?

Cincy wanted Brooks to stay and showed other guys (who have gotten waivers) the door.

Irrelevant for getting a waiver. Irrelevant. The same reason the other player on Cinn (leaving Cinn) got a waiver, coaching change.

Also, Brooks is not fully healthy. Also, the 2020 team with Brooks has a shot at competing for a championship.

So we know Gak is coming off a serious injury and isn't actually healthy (TODAY). Brooks is ACTUALLY playing basketball, he did during this tour. Even if all three were healthy TODAY, the only proven quality center is Brooks. You want Brooks today. You want Brooks this year. We can always add talent next season, just like we added Brooks.

Miller and Gak are eligible next year. Wouldn't they be better next year? This makes no sense. If Brooks wasn't healthy or at risk, he wouldn't be playing.

Advertisement
Back