Canes Hoops (men and women) have an overseas trip to Italy in August 2019. (Great for recruiting)

You make some good points. But (dealing with) "this is what we have" is getting old... as is this coach, and the disappointing rosters and seasons. No reflection on good kids (young men) working hard deserving support, but venting in this forum is surely not deserving of scorn I think.
Got no beef with anybody criticizing Coach L or any other coach. Never scorned anybody for that. We have roster issues no doubt

If we had pictures of Miller on Instagram making it rain on the hoes or if he got caught smoking weed or didn't work hard, sure beat his ***. I never stood up for Nkosi and I like him.

it just seems like people don't want him to play well so that their narrative can exist without question. You can critique Coach L and his roster management without campaigning against Miller. That's all I'm saying. Mainly I stay quiet in all Coach L sucks threads because he IS due some criticism.

Advertisement
What was the tallest person on the other team?

What is the quality of the competition?

Why was he cramping and unable to play at the end of the game?
Can't answer the third question, but will try to provide some context for the first two.

The team they played the first game was the Roseto Sharks (the games were played at Stella Azurra, who the Sharks have an affiliation with, but Stella Azurra was not who they played). Their best big man is Khadeem Lattin, who started for the Oklahoma team that went to the Final Four with Buddy Hield a couple years ago. Their roster is filled with guys listed in the 6'7" to 6'9" range (Lattin is 6'9"), plus there is one 7 footer listed on the roster (Yannick Nzosa - not sure how much he played since he is only 15 years old, but he apparently has some hype). They were a .500 team in Italy's second best league (Serie A2) last season.

Got no beef with anybody criticizing Coach L or any other coach. Never scorned anybody for that. We have roster issues no doubt

If we had pictures of Miller on Instagram making it rain on the hoes or if he got caught smoking weed or didn't work hard, sure beat his ***. I never stood up for Nkosi and I like him.

it just seems like people don't want him to play well so that their narrative can exist without question. You can critique Coach L and his roster management without campaigning against Miller. That's all I'm saying. Mainly I stay quiet in all Coach L sucks threads because he IS due some criticism.

I don't think anybody is campaigning against Rodney. Not sure why you can't see that.

Advertisement
PLAYER STAT HIGHLIGHTS
Harlond Beverly: six points, eight rebounds, three assists
Nysier Brooks: six points, six rebounds, two blocks
Willie Herenton: three points
Chris Lykes: 13 points, four assists
Kameron McGusty: 16 points, seven rebounds, seven assists
Rodney Miller, Jr.: nine points, 10 rebounds, two blocks
DJ Vasiljevic: 20 points, six rebounds
Sam Waardenburg: 10 points, 13 rebounds, three blocks
Anthony Walker: five points, two steals
Isaiah Wong: 17 points, seven rebounds
Print Friendly Version

University of Miami Logo
RELATED STORIES

Footer
Promo Spot (Shop)
© University of Miami 2019. All rights reserved / Privacy Policy / Terms of Service / Video Platform powered by CBS Sports Digital

PLAYER STAT HIGHLIGHTS
Harlond Beverly: six points, eight rebounds, three assists
Nysier Brooks: six points, six rebounds, two blocks
Willie Herenton: three points
Chris Lykes: 13 points, four assists
Kameron McGusty: 16 points, seven rebounds, seven assists
Rodney Miller, Jr.: nine points, 10 rebounds, two blocks
DJ Vasiljevic: 20 points, six rebounds
Sam Waardenburg: 10 points, 13 rebounds, three blocks
Anthony Walker: five points, two steals
Isaiah Wong: 17 points, seven rebounds
Print Friendly Version

Last edited:
You made a porst and you followed it up with another porst. Thanks for the life lesson BtW.

I don’t hate Rodney. I never said that. Please find said quote. Otherwise, move on.

I hate that our coaches have him on scholarship. I hate that our coaches consistently have roster management issues. This has nothing to do with hating Rodney. He may be the salt of the...I don’t hate him.

As for the 8 and 7, who cares? Who did we play? It is more telling how he can’t stay on the court.

You must be real fun at parties.

Can't answer the third question, but will try to provide some context for the first two.

The team they played the first game was the Roseto Sharks (the games were played at Stella Azurra, who the Sharks have an affiliation with, but Stella Azurra was not who they played). Their best big man is Khadeem Lattin, who started for the Oklahoma team that went to the Final Four with Buddy Hield a couple years ago. Their roster is filled with guys listed in the 6'7" to 6'9" range (Lattin is 6'9"), plus there is one 7 footer listed on the roster (Yannick Nzosa - not sure how much he played since he is only 15 years old, but he apparently has some hype). They were a .500 team in Italy's second best league (Serie A2) last season.
That makes me feel better, i.e., Roseto seems like maybe more legit competition than I was envisioning. And, they had good size..

Advertisement
Brooks was playing, how serious was his surgery?
My thought exactly. Why no attempt for a waiver so he can play this year? I thought the rationale for not submitting a waiver request was that he needed this season to "recover" anyway, so just let the idea of a waiver go. To have much of a chance, we need him and his big man skills ... now!

Advertisement
My thought exactly. Why no attempt for a waiver so he can play this year? I thought the rationale for not submitting a waiver request was that he needed this season to "recover" anyway, so just let the idea of a waiver go. To have much of a chance, we need him and his big man skills ... now!

It would make a tremendous difference this season.

Photos will have to due since the livestream nor highlights are available. I guess Joe Z and the Hurricane Sports Network was not available.

At this point, I would assume Brooks is playing this year as it would make no sense to play in an exhibition game is you have to sit out, especially since it takes playing time away from someone who is eligible to play this year.

Also, I guess his knee feels better and the staff is no longer being cautious.

Advertisement
Nice to see DJ is lighting it up.

Sam is putting up big stats. Perhaps he's more suited for the Euro game?

McGusty looks like he'll be a difference maker. Sheldon Mac v2?

Wong may be able to contribute more right away than I first thought.

10 things I learned from this game: (Hard to do with watching but here we go).

1. Kam McGusty is the new Bruce Brown (17 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists). Stat sheet stuffer supreme per Clark Kellog.
2. Our guards are going to the boards (Beverly-8, McGusty-7, Wong-7 and Vasiljevic-7)
3. Freshman are ready to contribute (Wong-17 points, Beverly 6 points and Walker 5 points).
4. Sam with a double double (10 points and 13 rebounds). A step in the right direction if he will be consistent.
5. By committee, the C spot will be fine (Miller and Brooks combine for 15 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks without Gak)
6. 4 assist for Lykes means he may be developing into the point guard Coach L is hoping for.
7. Coach L played 10 guys and hopefully he continues that all season.
8. 105 points without Stone and Gak is impressive as we figure they will be in the rotation when healthy.
9. Walk-on Willie with 3 points. I am sure he will get given one of the two available scholarships for the second semester if they remain open.
10. Granted we don't know the level of the competition. The top 8 are things the basketball team can do to be successful this season.

I could do a better job of evaluation if I could watch the game but let's build on the positives. Stay healthy, jell (verb) and win games.

I predict Willie Herenton will transition into a grad assistant role with the coaching staff after his time as a walk-on is done.

Advertisement
Back