Canes Hoops (men and women) have an overseas trip to Italy in August 2019. (Great for recruiting)

Agree on beat reporters. Very simple inquiry: "Are you pursuing a waiver for Brooks? If not, why not, because the NCAA is handing out waivers like candy on Halloween."

Why were other non-grad transfers at Cinn being given waivers?

Since you're not applying for a waiver for Brooks this season, are you concerned with only having 10 players on "active" scholarship?

Advertisement
If Brooks doesn’t play, as I expect he won’t, it’s NOT because of some conspiracy or scheme by the coaches. The coaches would LOVE to have Brooks available this year. That is a no-brainer. The fact that he won’t be is NOT an indictment of the coaches. Watch for news about Brooks. A lot of people in this thread will look pretty silly.

Tell me if you will agree with the following:

1. Brooks was healthy enough to play in useless (they don't count) exhibition games recently.

2. LaQuill Hardnett (freshman from Cinn) received a waiver to play at another program this season.

3. Miami has ZERO proven quality big men on the roster (right now).

4. We could use a proven quality big man on the roster (right now).

Amherst, you wrote this about me above: "Hotshot asked a question about press coverage... and even intimated possible wrongdoing by the staff... I mean, really?"

Total bull****. What I said was why can't The Miami Herald beat reporters ask the same simple questions of the staff that we all have on our own minds, on straightforward issues? Didn't you have those type questions during the 4 months that Dewan was twisting in the wind last season? The university and the Herald were as silent as a tomb.

I understand that sometimes if you ask what the fans want to know, you stand the risk of alienating the people you are covering. That's true of the Herald reporters covering the Dolphins, Marlins, etc. But ... if reporters can't ask basic questions and be able to print those answers, what the heck are they good for? Spouting platitudes and party lines only? Whatever happened to investigative journalism and asking questions that need to be asked?

You literally wrote, “Or, are the questions not even asked for fear of some sort of reprisal that could effect reporters' livelihoods?”

So reprisals against reporters *for doing their job* that “effect” reporters livelihoods isn’t wrong? I sure think it would be.

And it is most definitely not happening.

Tell me if you will agree with the following:

1. Brooks was healthy enough to play in useless (they don't count) exhibition games recently.

2. LaQuill Hardnett (freshman from Cinn) received a waiver to play at another program this season.

3. Miami has ZERO proven quality big men on the roster (right now).

4. We could use a proven quality big man on the roster (right now).

All true.

Also true:

1) Cincy supported Hardnett getting a waiver because they encouraged him to transfer. The NCAA is giving strong consideration to the position/input of the school from where the player is transferring FROM. Cincy is unhappy Brooks left because the new staff really wanted him.

2) Brooks is not fully healthy and you’ll find out more in the coming months.

Comments on some of the responses I read.

Next year (2020) Brooks will be part of a legitimate top-10 team and title contender in Coral Gables.

My response, why wait til next season when Miami averaged 86 points per game with only 10 practices under their belt in Italy. Winning this season should be the priority. Scoring will not be a problem with this group. Depth, defense and rebounding are the only things holding them back from winning the ACC. That is honest opinion but that will become clearer once the season starts.

Brooks is not fully healthy. Also, the 2020 team with Brooks has a shot at competing for a championship.

My response: Coach L mislead the fanbase with his July 31st press conference. Coach L stated they were going to be cautious with Brooks as he has a knee issue so fans assumed he would not play in Italy. Brooks plays the last two games in Italy so I guess caution was thrown to the win. Brooks can help Miami win and compete for the championship this season and Miami will have 4 or 5 talented freshman to help them compete for the championship next season. That should be the approach to this season. IMO.

We cannot compete at the highest level until Wong and Beverly are up to full speed.

My response: Wong averaged 14 points per game and filled in nicely for Lykes when Lykes got into foul trouble. Beverly was slow out of the gate but I am sure his 3 point average is not an indication of the upcoming season. Let's not overreact too much as I am sure the three freshman will combine for somewhere between 20 to 30 points per game. The only question is how much playing time Coach L puts them on the floor.

Moving on... I’d like to support the team and coaches who have taken us from a bottom feeder to ACC champs.

My response: I agree, Coach L has changed the perception of Miami basketball and he has won the ACC Championship. Unfortunately, once expectations are raised, it is expected that you continue to succeed at the level of success you have established. The new standard for basketball at Miami is 20 plus regular season wins, compete for the ACC championship and make the NCAA tournament(next step is winning a few games every year). Back to back losing season is not acceptable given that the bar has been raised. Fair or not, this is what it is.

Baseless attacks on the coaching staff really aren’t helpful to anything.

My response: I consider myself to be a fair and realistic fan. I have stated numerous times that I fully support Coach L and his entire staff. He is doing a great job at Miami but he has caused some this criticism. Coach L speaks about a lack of depth and needing bodies in a press conference but he and his staff have not used all 13 scholarships in the past 5 or 6 season. Either Hotshot or Consigliere posted a great article about how Miami has failed to use all of its scholarships during that timeframe. Like it or not, it is fair to criticize the use of scholarships when you have two unused scholarships, 2 players returning off an serious knee injuries who may not be available at the beginning of the season but Coach L will not tell fans if he has applied for a waiver for a player. Truthfully, taking a player to sit one and play one season never made sense to me.

The fans here are Canesinsight are pretty smart in some of their observations. I feel like none of the comments are personal attacks but they do have an aggressive nature about them. It is more of the passion we have about Miami and the athletic programs. Fans at Canesinsight see Miami on the cusp of something special if the coaching staff would make some changes to their philosophy. This is who we are and I enjoy being in this group.

Man are you out of your mind? How do you look at the roster next year, and say title contender? I see a bubble team with potential to be 11-13 seed? L has been absolutely garbage and based on his effort and mannerisms i only see it getting worse before it gets better.

Advertisement
You literally wrote, “Or, are the questions not even asked for fear of some sort of reprisal that could effect reporters' livelihoods?”

So reprisals against reporters *for doing their job* that “effect” reporters livelihoods isn’t wrong? I sure think it would be.

And it is most definitely not happening.
When I say "reprisals," I obviously mean self-imposed ones. Reporters not wanting to anger a coach or AD, who they depend on for their already weak "stories." It takes some stones to ask "How come Hernandez is sitting when Player X and Y (in the same "boat" as Dewan) are playing for their respective schools? Or, to ask about roster management. Or, why Coach thinks it's as difficult as it seems to recruit top high school players to Miami?

I think readers are more interested in answers to those sort of questions than the usual cliches and platitudes.

1) Cincy supported Hardnett getting a waiver because they encouraged him to transfer. The NCAA is giving strong consideration to the position/input of the school from where the player is transferring FROM. Cincy is unhappy Brooks left because the new staff really wanted him.

Please provide a source for this above. Also, it isn't relevant.

Are you aware that one of the reasons the NCAA allows these waivers are coaching changes? Are you aware that numerous other players receive these waivers for said reason?

2) Brooks is not fully healthy and you’ll find out more in the coming months.

Please explain the following:

1. If he is healthy enough to play in useless exhibition games, then this makes no sense. If he is so susceptible to injury, why risk him getting really injured during these useless games?

2. What do you claim to know today about his health that we need to wait a few months to find out more? Please explain. What do you know today that we don't know? Keep in mind he is healthy enough for these useless exhibition games.

Advertisement
AmherstCane has to be trolling.

He isn't. He actually was Brooks' personal doctor at Cinn and is still treating him here.

AmherstCane only cleared him for useless exhibition games and he is the only one privy to Brooks' condition. He agreed to release said status, randomly, months from now.

When I say "reprisals," I obviously mean self-imposed ones. Reporters not wanting to anger a coach or AD, who they depend on for their already weak "stories." It takes some stones to ask "How come Hernandez is sitting when Player X and Y (in the same "boat" as Dewan) are playing for their respective schools? Or, to ask about roster management. Or, why Coach thinks it's as difficult as it seems to recruit top high school players to Miami?

I think readers are more interested in answers to those sort of questions than the usual cliches and platitudes.

What you say you “obviously meant” is in literal direct contradiction to the actual definition of reprisal. Unless you think reporters are retaliating against themselves.

Are you aware that one of the reasons the NCAA allows these waivers are coaching changes? Are you aware that numerous other players receive these waivers for said reason?

Please explain the following:

1. If he is healthy enough to play in useless exhibition games, then this makes no sense. If he is so susceptible to injury, why risk him getting really injured during these useless games?

2. What do you claim to know today about his health that we need to wait a few months to find out more? Please explain. What do you know today that we don't know? Keep in mind he is healthy enough for these useless exhibition games.

Last point because you literally have no idea what you’re talking about:

“The latest adjustment — to four of the 13 guidelines — could lead to fewer requests being granted as it seems to raise the bar on what is required by a school to make a case for immediate eligibility for an athlete.”

And...

“The changes affect guidelines for cases involving claims of athletes being run off a team by a coach and victims of egregious behavior by the original school. Also, guidelines were adjusted in cases where athletes transfer to be closer to an ill or injured immediate family member and because of an injury or illness to the athlete.”

Advertisement
What you say you “obviously meant” is in literal direct contradiction to the actual definition of reprisal. Unless you think reporters are retaliating against themselves.
I think they are "cowed." Leads to them asking only softball questions and not following up strongly, if at all. So, yes, I guess you could say they are retaliating against themselves (through being uncomfortable writing anything that would irk anyone they cover), the profession of journalism as it's meant to be practiced, and their readers.

I think they are "cowed." Leads to them asking only softball questions and not following up strongly, if at all. So, yes, I guess you could say they are retaliating against themselves (through being uncomfortable writing anything that would irk anyone they cover), the profession of journalism as it's meant to be practiced, and their readers.

Now we’re just battering the English language. Unless you suffer from multiple personality disorder, you cannot fear reprisal from yourself. By definition.

Just to review...you ignored the majority of my prior post. You then went on a random tangent.

Last point because you literally have no idea what you’re talking about:

1. You provided NO SOURCE as to LaQuill Hardnett and Cinn. Are you aware that your source doesn't mention the player's name?

2. Even if you did have a source, it isn't relevant. It has been explained why numerous times but it may be too difficult for you to understand. There are other reasons a player may get a waiver and numerous players, from numerous schools, are able to simply from a coaching change.

You’re gonna feel really dumb when you learn why Brooks doesn’t play this year. But carry on. Y’all aren’t worth the time.

Are you claiming to be an insider? So you know something that NOBODY else knows. You're the only here that is arguing that there is some secret health conspiracy that explains why there is no waiver request. So please state your claim or readjust your tinfoil helmet.

Advertisement

The former school still has some say, even with a coaching change. Just as an example, Marcus Carr transferred from Pitt to Minnesota last year after Stallings was fired at Pitt. Carr and Minnesota wanted a waiver, but Pitt dragged their feet and didn't support him getting a waiver. The NCAA ended up siding with Pitt, and Carr had to sit out the season.

Whether or not the former school should have a significant say in a case like that is a different argument.

And yes, I do think Miami should be doing everything it can to get a waiver for Brooks to play. If we had the front court depth where we could afford to sit him out a season, it'd be one thing, but we don't. He'd be our most reliable big on the roster the moment he'd get cleared. In the majority of cases, the player has received the waiver in cases like this. But if Cincy doesn't want to cooperate, there is a precedent where the NCAA could side with them over the player and his new school. Doesn't mean Miami shouldn't at least try to make it work.

Whether or not the former school should have a significant say in a case like that is a different argument.

And yes, I do think Miami should be doing everything it can to get a waiver for Brooks to play. If we had the front court depth where we could afford to sit him out a season, it'd be one thing, but we don't. He'd be our most reliable big on the roster the moment he'd get cleared. In the majority of cases, the player has received the waiver in cases like this. But if Cincy doesn't want to cooperate, there is a precedent where the NCAA could side with them over the player and his new school. Doesn't mean Miami shouldn't at least try to make it work.

1. I am not going to argue whether or not the former school has an opinion or may make an opinion on the matter. My point is that there is an obvious exception in Brooks' case.

2. It is clear that Brooks was healthy enough to play in useless exhibition games. So clearly it isn't health that is stopping/preventing this request. The season isn't for a few months anyway.

3. What logical reason/argument could Miami make as to not applying for a waiver?

1. I am not going to argue whether or not the former school has an opinion or may make an opinion on the matter. My point is that there is an obvious exception in Brooks' case.

2. It is clear that Brooks was healthy enough to play in useless exhibition games. So clearly it isn't health that is stopping/preventing this request. The season isn't for a few months anyway.

3. What logical reason/argument could Miami make as to not applying for a waiver?

Are you literally too dumb to understand that a coaching change, standing alone, is NOT grounds for waiver after the player has enrolled and completed a season at the school? A coaching change combined with the incoming coach saying they WANT the player to leave/transfer (or otherwise condoning the transfer) IS grounds for a waiver.

Yes, I’m an “insider”. Everyone on the Italy trip knows exactly why Brooks is almost certainly going to sit a year to get 100% healthy. And you will also learn why in due time.

You are a living, breathing embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Are you literally too dumb to understand that a coaching change, standing alone, is NOT grounds for waiver after the player has enrolled and completed a season at the school? A coaching change combined with the incoming coach saying they WANT the player to leave/transfer (or otherwise condoning the transfer) IS grounds for a waiver.

Yes, I’m an “insider”. Everyone on the Italy trip knows exactly why Brooks is almost certainly going to sit a year to get 100% healthy. And you will also learn why in due time.

You are a living, breathing embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Another porst from the potato and now you’re an “insider”. Since you’ve failed to provide any logic, reasoning or retort in our convo, let’s try something else.

Were you on the Italy trip?

Advertisement
Back