Canes Hoops (men and women) have an overseas trip to Italy in August 2019. (Great for recruiting)

1. I am not going to argue whether or not the former school has an opinion or may make an opinion on the matter. My point is that there is an obvious exception in Brooks' case.

2. It is clear that Brooks was healthy enough to play in useless exhibition games. So clearly it isn't health that is stopping/preventing this request. The season isn't for a few months anyway.

3. What logical reason/argument could Miami make as to not applying for a waiver?
My point is there have been exceptions to those exceptions. Miami and Brooks could do everything they want to get him eligible to play in 2019, but if Cincy wants to interfere, then you are leaving everything up to the NCAA - an organization not known for their consistency in making decisions. Should he get a waiver? Yes. Would I be stunned if the NCAA decided not to give him one? Not in the slightest.

As to question number 3, I don't think there is one, and Miami should be applying for a waiver. The only two potential arguments I see someone make are these:

1) You want Brooks to be 100% healthy before he plays. But that just goes back to your second point - if it was something serious, I don't see why he would play in Italy. So I don't accept that argument.
2) Coach L wants to set up the 2020-21 season to make a run, using 2019-20 as a transitional year. I could maybe buy this if we had success last season, as I think you can get away with one bumpy season and still have momentum with the program. But I don't think you can do that two years in a row. I don't expect to be conference title contenders this season, with or without Brooks, but another conference season of going 5-13 would be a major blow. This needs to be an NCAA Tournament contending team, and we have the guards to be on that level, but I don't think we have the bigs. I think Brooks would have more of an impact on this season's team than he would next year, when theoretically we could bring in strong reinforcements to the front court and allow us to have a lot more depth. So I reject this argument as well.

Advertisement
I can't think of a reason why L wouldn't at least apply for a waiver for Brooks. Worse case scenario it gets denied. I would be very interested in knowing why it isn't even being attempted.

Here is a tinfoil theory, Brooks is scared to compete with our current crop of players. He wants to “sit out” and told Coach not to apply for a waiver.

He wants to learn the system first and then compete.

Oh wait, all those players (Miller and Gak) still have eligibility next year.

Back to throwing chit into the fan.

My point is there have been exceptions to those exceptions. Miami and Brooks could do everything they want to get him eligible to play in 2019, but if Cincy wants to interfere, then you are leaving everything up to the NCAA - an organization not known for their consistency in making decisions. Should he get a waiver? Yes. Would I be stunned if the NCAA decided not to give him one? Not in the slightest.

As to question number 3, I don't think there is one, and Miami should be applying for a waiver. The only two potential arguments I see someone make are these:

1) You want Brooks to be 100% healthy before he plays. But that just goes back to your second point - if it was something serious, I don't see why he would play in Italy. So I don't accept that argument.
2) Coach L wants to set up the 2020-21 season to make a run, using 2019-20 as a transitional year. I could maybe buy this if we had success last season, as I think you can get away with one bumpy season and still have momentum with the program. But I don't think you can do that two years in a row. I don't expect to be conference title contenders this season, with or without Brooks, but another conference season of going 5-13 would be a major blow. This needs to be an NCAA Tournament contending team, and we have the guards to be on that level, but I don't think we have the bigs. I think Brooks would have more of an impact on this season's team than he would next year, when theoretically we could bring in strong reinforcements to the front court and allow us to have a lot more depth. So I reject this argument as well.

Please note: I never said a waiver was guaranteed. My point is we need proven quality talent now.

As to this health conspiracy, that is clearly bullchit. There is no real reason to play Brooks in useless exhibitions if his health was at risk.

I don’t understand how the last Center we brought into the program (via recruiting) was Gak. We brought no one in last year or the year before. Perhaps that is the real issue here. Perhaps we should have brought in some project/recruit/transfer (sit out), after Gak, to work with last season and this season. Then you have some players ready for 20-21.

With that said, what do you expect from Miller and Gak? What do you predict in terms of MPG, PPG, RPG and BPG?

Please note: I never said a waiver was guaranteed. My point is we need proven quality talent now.

As to this health conspiracy, that is clearly bullchit. There is no real reason to play Brooks in useless exhibitions if his health was at risk.

I don’t understand how the last Center we brought into the program (via recruiting) was Gak. We brought no one in last year or the year before. Perhaps that is the real issue here. Perhaps we should have brought in some project/recruit/transfer (sit out), after Gak, to work with last season and this season. Then you have some players ready for 20-21.

With that said, what do you expect from Miller and Gak? What do you predict in terms of MPG, PPG, RPG and BPG?
What is the point of this question? I answered this very question and you provided no new insight into this conversation based on my answer. As a matter of fact you didn't even acknowledge the answers.

Why don't you answer it.

What do you expect?

Advertisement
What is the point of this question? I answered this very question and you provided no new insight into this conversation based on my answer. As a matter of fact you didn't even acknowledge the answers.

Why don't you answer it.

What do you expect?

I did respond to your post. Please go back in the thread and check (try post #54). Did you respond to my post (#54)?

Can we agree that I did acknowledge your response and followed it up? Can we agree that you had no response to my response?

As for the point of the question, this is a message board. We’re here to discuss. Since Miller is the projected starter, I wanted to discuss.

Before I give my projections, please acknowledge the above so we can move on and actually have discussion on the topic.

In addition, please feel free to ignore a post. The one you responded to wasn’t directed at you.

I did respond to your post. Please go back in the thread and check (try post #54). Did you respond to my post (#54)?

Can we agree that I did acknowledge your response and followed it up? Can we agree that you had no response to my response?

As for the point of the question, this is a message board. We’re here to discuss. Since Miller is the projected starter, I wanted to discuss.

Before I give my projections, please acknowledge the above so we can move on and actually have discussion on the topic.

In addition, please feel free to ignore a post. The one you responded to wasn’t directed at you.
Wow you really playing the semantics game huh. You ask a 4 part question and your answer to said reply is "you should see what the other centers averaged under coach L"? What would make you think that I haven't? You contributed absolutely nothing based on my response.

And since you've been harping on this "proven quality talent", why don't you give us a "proven quality" definition for what that means to you.

You post on a public page and say ignore it? You're losing your fast ball.

So we can't move on. Even you're unable to agree that:

1. You received a response.
2. It was on topic.
3. You had no retort to the response.

So with that said, here is my response to your porst.

Wow you really playing the semantics game huh. You ask a 4 part question and your answer to said reply is "you should see what the other centers averaged under coach L"?

1. I asked you for predictions, there wasn't even a question. I wanted to know what you expect.

2. My response (see post #54) was EXACTLY ON TOPIC. I was shocked at your predictions based on the previous big men (and their improvement) under Coach L. You received a response DIRECTLY ON POINT. I was shocked at your predictions. Shocked.

3. I question or not whether you know those other big men and their improvement.

What would make you think that I haven't? You contributed absolutely nothing based on my response.

You predicted Rodney to have the greatest improvement (simply looking at big men) during Coach L's tenure. Better improvement (see the post below) than any other big man during his time. That is why I responded the way I did.

So to review, you received a response on topic. I was shocked at your predictions. I stated that it was better improvement than any other big man. You never responded to my response.

And since you've been harping on this "proven quality talent", why don't you give us a "proven quality" definition for what that means to you.

It depends on the position and whether we're talking starter v. depth. In general, "proven quality talent" means someone who has actually played and produced quality burn at this level. For example: Nysier Brooks is an example of proven quality talent (as per his season last year).

You post on a public page and say ignore it? You're losing your fast ball.

It means you're not required to respond to posts not directed at you.

Do you want to move on and discuss pertinent stuff or do you want to continue on your tangent?

Miller-
MPG: 21
PPG: 6.8
RPG: 5.2
BPG: 0.4

Gak-
MPG: 17
PPG: 4.7
RPG: 5.8
BPG: 1.3

So as a tandem, I'm generally expecting 11.5 PPG, 11 RPG, and 1.7 BPG, with Miller being the better scorer and Gak the more effective rebounder and rim protector. The filler minutes at center go to Sam. I do expect Miller to have a larger time share earlier in the season (in part to ease Gak back in to playing after the injury), but should be closer to equal by the time conference play rolls around.

Advertisement
Miller-
MPG: 21
PPG: 6.8
RPG: 5.2
BPG: 0.4

Gak-
MPG: 17
PPG: 4.7
RPG: 5.8
BPG: 1.3

So as a tandem, I'm generally expecting 11.5 PPG, 11 RPG, and 1.7 BPG, with Miller being the better scorer and Gak the more effective rebounder and rim protector. The filler minutes at center go to Sam. I do expect Miller to have a larger time share earlier in the season (in part to ease Gak back in to playing after the injury), but should be closer to equal by the time conference play rolls around.

Interesting.

1. If you assume that during the ACC schedule (so around January, 2020), Gak is fully healthy and back, does he become the starter? Based on what we've actually seen from him at UM, and his minutes were limited to 8 games, he has shown more potential and skill than Rodney.

2. With the amount of guards we have, do you think coach should consider running 4 guards? Especially with Gak being injured and Rodney struggling to stay on the court.

G: Lykes
G: Wong
G: DJ
G/F: McGusty
C: ____________

I'd like to see these guys play at the same time and run. Then I'd like Beverly and Stone to replace 2 of them. Especially with the lack of big men. I think the wildcard is Walker, if he can be ready and serviceable, maybe you play him at the 5.

Interesting.

1. If you assume that during the ACC schedule (so around January, 2020), Gak is fully healthy and back, does he become the starter? Based on what we've actually seen from him at UM, and his minutes were limited to 8 games, he has shown more potential and skill than Rodney.

2. With the amount of guards we have, do you think coach should consider running 4 guards? Especially with Gak being injured and Rodney struggling to stay on the court.

G: Lykes
G: Wong
G: DJ
G/F: McGusty
C: ____________

I'd like to see these guys play at the same time and run. Then I'd like Beverly and Stone to replace 2 of them. Especially with the lack of big men. I think the wildcard is Walker, if he can be ready and serviceable, maybe you play him at the 5.
Regarding Gak becoming a starter, I think part of it would be dependent on how the team is doing at that point (even if Gak is healthy and performing better than Miller, I don't know if Larranaga makes the switch if we are in the midst of a 4-1 stretch, for example, unless it is absolutely clear the Gak is the way better player), and part of it may depend on whether we want an offensive option down low, or more of a defensive presence in the starting lineup.

Gak looks like he has more potential, but he's still raw on the offensive end. I wouldn't think he's that far off from where either Izundu or Jekiri were entering their sophomore seasons, though, outside of the injury. If I had to guess, I think Gak may get a couple starts late in the season, but for the most part Rodney retains the starting position. By the start of the 2020 season, though, I think Gak overtakes him.

The 4 guard lineup is doable, and I'd expect to see it a few times just to get your best players on the court at the same time. Plus, given the limited roster, we may have no choice at times if we get into foul trouble. But it'll have to be matchup dependent if you are doing it by choice and not necessity. Not sure it works against a team like Louisville, for example, if you are having to put McGusty on Jordan Nwora.

A 4 guard lineup is doable in spurts (5 minute increments) given how well those 4 guards rebound. The four guards during that spurt could be Wong, Beverly, McGusty and Vasiljevic so they can switch on the perimeter and they will have more size for rebounding without Lykes. The key to this lineup is how soon will Coach L trust Isaiah Wong.

Given that Coach L loves experienced lineups then I expect this group to start game 1 against Louisville (our most experienced lineup).

PG-Lykes, SG-Vasiljevic, CG-McGusty, Stretch 4-Wardeenburg and C-Miller. Yes, at some point, that lineup will change (hopefully not because of injury).

IMO, when healthy, the best lineup for Miami (scoring, rebounding and defense).

PG-Wong, SG-Beverly, CG-McGusty, PF-Stone and C-Brooks. I agree, it is unproven until the season starts. I wanted to say Walker but it is more of Coach L than me.

Projected production needed from our Center by Committee (Miller, Gak and Brooks): 8 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocked shots each in 20 minutes.

The keys to Miami making the NCAA tournament this season.
1. Depth (or health) 2. Rebounding 3. Defense. I don't see scoring being a problem for this group. They should average over 90 points per game.

Will Miami make the NCAA tournament in 2019-20. Yes. Definitely yes if all 11 guys are healthy and eligible for the majority of the season (25 games).

Regular season record prediction: 24-6 with a 4th place finish in the ACC regular season, loss in the ACC tournament semifinals and a loss in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

The depth and talent is on the roster. The only questions are health and will Coach L play everyone or does he go on this tangent about earning playing time and only playing 7 guys.

I believe Coach L will use his depth appropriately and Miami will have a very successful season.

Is it just me or is Coach L the only guy who knows one play is rehabbing a knee injury (Gak) while he takes a grad transfer rehabbing a knee injury (Stone) then fells to use his last two available scholarship on two grad transfer bigs then he follows it up by complaining about health and a lack of depth. C'mon Coach L. Please do better.

I have a Mark Richt type feeling about Coach L right now. An energized, more engaged coach would have found two grad transfers.

I could be wrong but he could have fixed that issue. IMO.

Advertisement

I think recruiting has been solid except Miami has not hit a home run lately (5 star prospect). It is still much better than the pre Coach L era.

Regular season record prediction: 24-6 with a 4th place finish in the ACC regular season, loss in the ACC tournament semifinals and a loss in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.
HaHaHAHA. Oooops, sorry was looking at the photo of the croc climbing up a fence. Yah 24-6. I can picture as much as I can picture a sleek smooth Rodney running up and back the court like a gazelle. Oh, if this (or better) comes true you have earned a subscription of your choice to any online app or zine or website, my treat. I would Love to Pay Up!

Advertisement
HaHaHAHA. Oooops, sorry was looking at the photo of the croc climbing up a fence. Yah 24-6. I can picture as much as I can picture a sleek smooth Rodney running up and back the court like a gazelle. Oh, if this (or better) comes true you have earned a subscription of your choice to any online app or zine or website, my treat. I would Love to Pay Up!

Honestly, 20-10 or 22-8 are my low end theory. 24-6 is aggressive but the ACC is weaker this season than last season. On paper, only Louisville is as experienced as Miami. Duke, Carolina, Virginia and Florida State are vulnerable as they are very inexperienced. Inexperienced meaning known commodities (player who will perform). There are a lot of new faces in the conference with a lot of unanswered questions.

Depth (health), rebounding and defense are the only things preventing Miami from reaching 24-6 in the regular season. I am convinced this team will average over 90 points a game if all 11 are healthy by January. I just question if they can play enough defense in crucial moments to get to 24 wins.

If Miami gets through November and December with 2 losses or less than that 24-6 will look real good.

What is your season record prediction and anyone else who wants to post their season record prediction, please feel free to join in.

So we can't move on. Even you're unable to agree that:

1. You received a response.
2. It was on topic.
3. You had no retort to the response.

So with that said, here is my response to your porst.

1. I asked you for predictions, there wasn't even a question. I wanted to know what you expect.

2. My response (see post #54) was EXACTLY ON TOPIC. I was shocked at your predictions based on the previous big men (and their improvement) under Coach L. You received a response DIRECTLY ON POINT. I was shocked at your predictions. Shocked.

3. I question or not whether you know those other big men and their improvement.

You predicted Rodney to have the greatest improvement (simply looking at big men) during Coach L's tenure. Better improvement (see the post below) than any other big man during his time. That is why I responded the way I did.

So to review, you received a response on topic. I was shocked at your predictions. I stated that it was better improvement than any other big man. You never responded to my response.

It depends on the position and whether we're talking starter v. depth. In general, "proven quality talent" means someone who has actually played and produced quality burn at this level. For example: Nysier Brooks is an example of proven quality talent (as per his season last year).

It means you're not required to respond to posts not directed at you.

Do you want to move on and discuss pertinent stuff or do you want to continue on your tangent?
Funny, you didn't seem shocked to me at all. Just typically sarcastic. You made a vaque statement and called me a marone. Yes? smh

In any event, we need players that are better than Nysier Brooks. We need game altering talent not just average talent. Average talent is all over. Brooks will not determine whether we make the tournament or not. If he were a season changer he'd be in the NBA right now, so would most of the transfer portal players.

If coach L hasn't applied for a waiver there has to be a good reason. A good reason that both he and Nysier have agreed to. We do need bodies.

By game changing talent I mean somebody who can dominate some facet of the game against other talented players.

I'd rather DaLuckyOne's forecast come true, but I'm "expecting" something like 18-12. Maybe 20 wins, and a Dance Slot if we do surprisingly well in ACC Tourney. I have little or no confidence in Gak - Miller prosperity; ...again: hope I'm wrong.

Being "short handed" at the 4/5 was barely acceptable last year, and completely unacceptable this year. L has known for months about the injury status and waiver status of his bigs and is sitting on 2 open scholarships.

This is akin to looking out the window, seeing it's raining, walking outside in the rain without an umbrella, and commenting about how you're getting wet.

Advertisement
Back