Canes bs Pitt - Game 3 - 1pm, ACCNX

Advertisement
One thing I wish Gino would quit messing around with is RF. Just move Burke to RF and Long to CF. Problem solved and the range of the outfield increases exponentially.

Advertisement
One thing I wish Gino would quit messing around with is RF. Just move Burke to RF and Long to CF. Problem solved and the range of the outfield increases exponentially.

can someone explain to me how a guy (DiMare) who grew up as a disciple of ron fraser, could in any way go about building a line-up where you don't have the 9 fastest guys in the ballpark? You know, guys who cover every blade of grass on defense, can run the bases and steal bags, putting continuous pressure on the pitchers?

i just don't get it.

bats can go quiet any time. speed, baserunning, and defense. that you can count on to show up every day.

why gino has tried to build his team on something other than that, i can't figure out

Advertisement
If anyone is still watching and they show the dugout: Is that Rafe I see out of uniform in a walking boot?

He only strikes out ~ 1/6 AB while Rosario, Gutierrez and Gonzalez are all 1/3 or worse. It seems obvious Gino simply wants him as defensive replacement at this stage. If that's his role, then at least start getting him in earlier when we have the lead.

can someone explain to me how a guy (DiMare) who grew up as a disciple of ron fraser, could in any way go about building a line-up where you don't have the 9 fastest guys in the ballpark? You know, guys who cover every blade of grass on defense, can run the bases and steal bags, putting continuous pressure on the pitchers?

i just don't get it.

bats can go quiet any time. speed, baserunning, and defense. that you can count on to show up every day.

why gino has tried to build his team on something other than that, i can't figure out
This is probably the most unathletic team I've ever seen at UM. A lot of good baseball players, but not a lot of athletes.

That was evident when we played BC. They have athletes. A 1st and 2nd round draft pick last year and likely 2 more this year. Most of the kids down here only play baseball because they can year round. Up north, you have the different seasons where kids are forced to play other sports and become better athletes.

He only strikes out ~ 1/6 AB while Rosario, Gutierrez and Gonzalez are all 1/3 or worse. It seems obvious Gino simply wants him as defensive replacement at this stage. If that's his role, then at least start getting him in earlier when we have the lead.
He shouldn't be just a replacement. We don't get a lot of production at the plate from RF other than Levinson who is better as the DH. So, Long is no worse at the plate and provides ample coverage in the outfield when Burke moves to RF.

If we were able to make it Omaha, we'll get crushed with our current outfield lineup. That park is huge and you need guys who can run down balls.

Advertisement

i just don't get it.

Respectfully, I don't know where he is going to find players like that, especially in south Florida. Dudes are brought up on two mindsets: velo if you're a pitcher, and launch angle if you're a hitter. The old school guys like Donnie Rowland are few and far between.

If anyone is still watching and they show the dugout: Is that Rafe I see out of uniform in a walking boot?
Let's hope not w what little LHs we have in the pen as it is. Is it safe to assume A Gon and Carrier are done for the year?

Advertisement
He shouldn't be just a replacement. We don't get a lot of production at the plate from RF other than Levinson who is better as the DH. So, Long is no worse at the plate and provides ample coverage in the outfield when Burke moves to RF.

If we were able to make it Omaha, we'll get crushed with our current outfield lineup. That park is huge and you need guys who can run down balls.
You're preaching to this choir. I am simply pointing out that it's apparent by now Gino does not share our view, and this is the best coaching he has done in his short career. So, I think we're stuck w more RF musical chairs.

Let's hope not w what little LHs we have in the pen as it is. Is it safe to assume A Gon and Carrier are done for the year?
Fairly certain it is him at this point. Would explain going to Gates when Gino wanted a lefty too.

Carrier is a pretty easy asumption. Hopefully we get Dorian back.

You're preaching to this choir. I am simply pointing out that it's apparent by now Gino does not share our view, and this is the best coaching he has done in his short career. So, I think we're stuck w more RF musical chairs.
I'd just like to hear his explanation. I wish some reporter would ask him those questions.

Advertisement
Back