Canes bs Pitt - Game 3 - 1pm, ACCNX

Let's hope not w what little LHs we have in the pen as it is. Is it safe to assume A Gon and Carrier are done for the year?
Couldn’t figure out who was in a sling. Now that you ask, it looks like Carrier.

Advertisement
Fairly certain it is him at this point. Would explain going to Gates when Gino wanted a lefty too.

Carrier is a pretty easy asumption. Hopefully we get Dorian back.
**** - sure hope he wasn't playing basketball or some stupid thing during the season. He didn't leave any games recently, did he?

Couldn’t figure out who was in a sling. Now that you ask, it looks like Carrier.
That's not good either since it's been weeks (?) since his injury. Hope it's not a rotator cuff - lots of careers ended w that injury.

can someone explain to me how a guy (DiMare) who grew up as a disciple of ron fraser, could in any way go about building a line-up where you don't have the 9 fastest guys in the ballpark? You know, guys who cover every blade of grass on defense, can run the bases and steal bags, putting continuous pressure on the pitchers?

i just don't get it.

bats can go quiet any time. speed, baserunning, and defense. that you can count on to show up every day.

why gino has tried to build his team on something other than that, i can't figure out
Offense should be based on walks, doubles and homers. 1 or 2 hits gets you a run when you do those things. Stringing together 3+ hits by way of singles, is way harder to do when you face guys who all throw 90+

Im not necessarily speaking on DiMare’s philosophy, but that’s how the game is played now.

**** - sure hope he wasn't playing basketball or some stupid thing during the season. He didn't leave any games recently, did he?
Pretty sure I saw him in uniform at some point this weekend

Advertisement
That's not good either since it's been weeks (?) since his injury. Hope it's not a rotator cuff - lots of careers ended w that injury.
Probably post surgical. Gino thought they were going to do it.

I’m guessing guys mean Dorian, not A Gon. He’s back soon. Meniscus tears are usually pretty quick even without surgery. Carrier is done but couldn’t play RF and couldn’t hit a breaking ball.

Advertisement
I’m guessing guys mean Dorian, not A Gon. He’s back soon. Meniscus tears are usually pretty quick even without surgery. Carrier is done but couldn’t play RF and couldn’t hit a breaking ball.
My bad - I had Adrian on my mind for some reason, since I am not a Dodgers fan.

Levenson provides some momentum going into next week. We need Pitelli to break out of his mini-slump.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Offense should be based on walks, doubles and homers. 1 or 2 hits gets you a run when you do those things. Stringing together 3+ hits by way of singles, is way harder to do when you face guys who all throw 90+

Im not necessarily speaking on DiMare’s philosophy, but that’s how the game is played now.

i get that. and you're not wrong.

but the point is, when you can draw walks, hit and run, and steal bases .... then you need fewer doubles and homers to yield the same (relative average) scoring result in an inning.

i think the philosophy and theory still holds. what has changed is that the development of baseball skills has been corrupted, so that these attributes are not well honed or poorly emphasized.

fraser had an M.O., which i heard him speak about, and I also heard jim morris explain the fraser theory one time (i'm paraphrasing a bit, but this is what he/they basically said:

"my 9 athletes, who are faster and more versatile than yours, are going to score one run an inning. and i only need one out of 4 consecutive batters to get a base hit to do it, and a healthy percentage of the time, i can do it with either 3 batters, and no hits, or with only one out of 4 batters needing a base hit. at the end of the game, my one run per inning strategy is pushing double-digit runs."

yes, the long ball and the power game have infected a lot of baseball. but what he preached isn't dead. just that few coaches care to understand and implement it. my point is, di mare of all people should be one of those few.

i get that. and you're not wrong.

but the point is, when you can draw walks, hit and run, and steal bases .... then you need fewer doubles and homers to yield the same (relative average) scoring result in an inning.

i think the philosophy and theory still holds. what has changed is that the development of baseball skills has been corrupted, so that these attributes are not well honed or poorly emphasized.

fraser had an M.O., which i heard him speak about, and I also heard jim morris explain the fraser theory one time (i'm paraphrasing a bit, but this is what he/they basically said:

"my 9 athletes, who are faster and more versatile than yours, are going to score one run an inning. and i only need one out of 4 consecutive batters to get a base hit to do it, and a healthy percentage of the time, i can do it with either 3 batters, and no hits, or with only one out of 4 batters needing a base hit. at the end of the game, my one run per inning strategy is pushing double-digit runs."

yes, the long ball and the power game have infected a lot of baseball. but what he preached isn't dead. just that few coaches care to understand and implement it. my point is, di mare of all people should be one of those few.
Well said, and he and Morris also understood that pitching, speed and defense still wins championships, even in baseball. I make a killing every Oct in MLB by fading the HR hitting teams. Those 10 row up HRs in August are warning track outs in Oct.

Advertisement
Back