Canes bs Pitt - Game 3 - 1pm, ACCNX

Advertisement
i get that. and you're not wrong.

but the point is, when you can draw walks, hit and run, and steal bases .... then you need fewer doubles and homers to yield the same (relative average) scoring result in an inning.

i think the philosophy and theory still holds. what has changed is that the development of baseball skills has been corrupted, so that these attributes are not well honed or poorly emphasized.

fraser had an M.O., which i heard him speak about, and I also heard jim morris explain the fraser theory one time (i'm paraphrasing a bit, but this is what he/they basically said:

"my 9 athletes, who are faster and more versatile than yours, are going to score one run an inning. and i only need one out of 4 consecutive batters to get a base hit to do it, and a healthy percentage of the time, i can do it with either 3 batters, and no hits, or with only one out of 4 batters needing a base hit. at the end of the game, my one run per inning strategy is pushing double-digit runs."

yes, the long ball and the power game have infected a lot of baseball. but what he preached isn't dead. just that few coaches care to understand and implement it. my point is, di mare of all people should be one of those few.
The game passed Morris by. That was evident. So I wouldn’t use him as a good example.

Yes you need athletes, and I agree that being aggressive matters. But that’s a long way off from what you are saying. You can have a decent mix and win big. But putting 9 guys in a lineup who hit singles and can cover ground bc they all run 6.5, just isn’t gonna happen at power school. If it does, it means you passed on the Yoyo’s of the world for a kid bc he runs faster and doesn’t swing as hard with 2 strikes. You can win with that philosophy at lower levels, not in D1.

The game passed Morris by. That was evident. So I wouldn’t use him as a good example.

Yes you need athletes, and I agree that being aggressive matters. But that’s a long way off from what you are saying. You can have a decent mix and win big. But putting 9 guys in a lineup who hit singles and can cover ground bc they all run 6.5, just isn’t gonna happen at power school. If it does, it means you passed on the Yoyo’s of the world for a kid bc he runs faster and doesn’t swing as hard with 2 strikes. You can win with that philosophy at lower levels, not in D1.
I don't think the game passed Morris by, he just phoned it in the last 3 - 4 years. As bad as he was those years, his run w us from the late 90's for a decade or more is still very impressive.

I don't think the game passed Morris by, he just phoned it in the last 3 - 4 years. As bad as he was those years, his run w us from the late 90's for a decade or more is still very impressive.
No doubt, but it doesn't mean you can replicate his style of baseball in 2022. I mean, we're talking over 20 years since he won a title.

Advertisement
He definitely phoned it in recruiting wise I’ll give you that. But he never would give up his small ball tactics. Which there is still room for, but not to move a guy to second in the 3rd inning.

No doubt, but it doesn't mean you can replicate his style of baseball in 2022. I mean, we're talking over 20 years since he won a title.
Fair enough, but we're getting the Yoyo's and Carrier's, just wish we had more base-stealers (or taught it better). Orlando Gonzales and Javy Rodriguez weren't that fast, but stole a ton of bases.

Fair enough, but we're getting the Yoyo's and Carrier's, just wish we had more base-stealers (or taught it better). Orlando Gonzales and Javy Rodriguez weren't that fast, but stole a ton of bases.
I can think of a guy who’s 6-6 on stolen bases and would also improve our outfield defense….

Georgia Tech dropped their home series against Duke. Looks like next weekend against us is their final home series of the season.

Advertisement
Only Walters, Ziehl, and Ligon have a lower ERA in ACC games than Gallo. In an ideal world, you get Garland out on Tuesday with a reasonable pitch count and have him do a tandem start with Gallo on Sunday.

Only Walters, Ziehl, and Ligon have a lower ERA in ACC games than Gallo. In an ideal world, you get Garland out on Tuesday with a reasonable pitch count and have him do a tandem start with Gallo on Sunday.
Agreed. We need more reliability in the Sunday starter. Rosario is a wild card every week.

I’m with Wicho. I don’t understand how he gets hit as much as he does as often as he does, but he does.

Agreed. We need more reliability in the Sunday starter. Rosario is a wild card every week.

I’m with Wicho. I don’t understand how he gets hit as much as he does as often as he does, but he does.
I would bet my mortgage that he's not very good at hiding the ball during his delivery. Some guys are able to keep the ball behind their body until the last minute, while others show it to you the whole time.

Advertisement
Or open w Ziehl if he isn't used Fri-Sat, but ya, let's shake it up. Rosario has had his chances.

This week in ACC RPIs:
2 Notre Dame
7 Miami
18 Virginia
19 Florida State
20 Georgia Tech
24 Virginia Tech
26 Wake Forest
31 NC State
35 Clemson
40 Louisville
41 Pittsburgh
49 North Carolina
90 Duke
115 Boston College

Other notables:
13 Florida (now 6-12 in the SEC)
73 FGCU
102 UCF
103 FAU
104 North Dakota State
134 Harvard
164 Stetson

We’re 3.0 games ahead of Virginia and Virginia Tech (play each other next weekend in Charlottesville) and 3.5 ahead of Notre Dame and Louisville.

Plenty of RPI points available if we win with 9 of the last 15 against Top 20 teams.

Just keep winning ACC series and the RPI will take care of itself. All the top conference contenders have some tough series left, so it’s important to just stack up wins wherever possible.

Win the ACC and a national seed is guaranteed, and should be a pretty high one at that, probably 2 or 3.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I will never forget watching UM win the national championship on June 16, 2001. And I will never forget the date as my daughter was born that morning at 8am. My wife sent me home from the hospital to get some sleep. Instead I ended up watching the Canes win The NC.

Thank you Coach Morris.

I will never forget watching UM win the national championship on June 16, 2001. And I will never forget the date as my daughter was born that morning at 8am. My wife sent me home from the hospital to get some sleep. Instead I ended up watching the Canes win The NC.

Thank you Coach Morris.
That was a **** of a year for UM sports!

This week in ACC RPIs:
2 Notre Dame
7 Miami
18 Virginia
19 Florida State
20 Georgia Tech
24 Virginia Tech
26 Wake Forest
31 NC State
35 Clemson
40 Louisville
41 Pittsburgh
49 North Carolina
90 Duke
115 Boston College

Other notables:
13 Florida (now 6-12 in the SEC)
73 FGCU
102 UCF
103 FAU
104 North Dakota State
134 Harvard
164 Stetson

We’re 3.0 games ahead of Virginia and Virginia Tech (play each other next weekend in Charlottesville) and 3.5 ahead of Notre Dame and Louisville.

Plenty of RPI points available if we win with 9 of the last 15 against Top 20 teams.
ND getting no love from D1 baseball - ranked 18th after a 5 - 0 week and the #2 RPI?

ND getting no love from D1 baseball - ranked 18th after a 5 - 0 week and the #2 RPI?
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Advertisement
Back