Can we do it?

Advertisement
I disagree, Thomas, because Chestnut hill is always a tough place to play and I think that's a classic trap game (without the bye). The bye will give the team a chance to reset and refocus.

I’m more relieved to play BC after the bye and early enough in the season that it isn’t all that cold yet. Playing in Blacksburg in November (potential night game if we are rolling) could be cold. Even with VT’s inexperience, that game concerns me the most for the off-the-field factors (away game, cold, late season pressure, Metallica, etc.) Not as concerned with how they match up with us.

GT is always a tough game physically on the D linemens lower bodys. Theyre blocking schemes are not forgiving. If we can get out of Georgia intact, I'll feel a lot better about Virginia

Thats part of my point. We play @GT then @VT the following week. The second road trip after what will likely be a tough GT game is the game I fear most. And its Va Tech.

To answer the OP question......

We have a team that is good enough to have a punchers chance. There are so many variables but the main one is chemistry. If this team gels on both sides of the ball and we have competent to good special teams then yes it can be done in theory.

You said something very important. You said that us old timers know what it's supposed to look and feel like. This looks and feels like a team that is on the way to becoming elite. We are getting close but not quite there yet.

To finally answer your question about this 2018 UM squad, I would have to say no for a few reasons. We don't have consistent enough QB play and the OL is not quite there yet. I do feel as though we are talented enough to make the playoffs but we will have to go through Clemson to get there in all likelihood. I am predicting a 12-2 season with a major bowl win. As for 2019? Watch out!

If the dline stay healthy, oline improve, qb has to hit open targets, hand full of freshmans have solid contributions.We could do it

Advertisement
This is what my gut tells me too, and I hate myself for thinking it. I see two losses. I think we're going to drop a game against either LSU, FSU or VT

But, I'll say this: If we can somehow get the the ACCCG with an undefeated regular season, I'll like our odds against Clemson.

This season feels like the 2000 season. We had a lot of returning talent, but yet needed to take the next step at a few spots in order to reach expectations. OL, better QB play, better LB play

I dont think we're back yet! I think we have a trap game we dont show up that hurts but we go to ACC championship an unfortunately lose to Clemson but win bowl game this year 12-2 **** good year! I think Rosier is Rosier an the O line isnt there yet can have all the RB's in the world but if u cant block we have those games like North Carolina last year. We are **** close an 12 wins would be a **** of a year!

Advertisement
I'm talking to the old heads right now, so if you're under 30 (I want to say 35) don't even respond. I am talking to the crowd that have seen it done and know with it supposed to feel like and look like,

Ya'll know what I'm asking you, so I am not even going to say the words. Can we do it?

NO

Now if Richt is finally able to use a power fullback (choc or the new guy) this yr and we are finally able to impose our will on people
through a POWER running game...THAN MAYBE..just maybe

until then ...NO

I think we're still 2 years out but we could make the playoffs this year. If we finish the regular season undefeated we'll be top 2 or 3 in the early BCS grouping. If we keep our showdown with Clemson close and they're still top 2 or 3 we might not drop out of the top 4. Obviously a lot depends on what the other teams are doing but our schedule provides the perfect path to the playoffs.

Who knows what could happen after that?

Advertisement
I'm talking to the old heads right now, so if you're under 30 (I want to say 35) don't even respond. I am talking to the crowd that have seen it done and know with it supposed to feel like and look like,

Ya'll know what I'm asking you, so I am not even going to say the words. Can we do it?

We can do it. Schedule is favorable, but we will need to avoid significant injuries to win the ACC-CG.

Things are harder today. In the past, some good fortune would enter into the bowl pairings. Now, you have to win TWO games against very good teams.

We CAN do it, but we will likely need a couple of new guys to really step up and be stars for us (imagine Clarett for Ohio Taint in 2002).

From my freshman year (1986) through about 1993/1994, I started off every year thinking that we could go undefeated and win the national championship. Helluva run. That feeling is what we need, but all these young players haven't been around that feeling (yet) year-in, year-out.

We struggle picking up a yard on the ground when we really need it. Until that changes, nah

Advertisement
If our O-Line has improved, D-line stay healthy, & 12 can hit the open man & DONT MAKE STUPID TURNOVERS. Then **** yeah we can win it

punchers chance? sure. reality? probably not.

the reason the 92 and 02 canes dont have rings with all the talent they had was oline.

1992, yes. 2002, no.

The reason the 02 team doesn't have a ring is because of Terry Porter. End of story.

This season feels like the 2000 season. We had a lot of returning talent, but yet needed to take the next step at a few spots in order to reach expectations. OL, better QB play, better LB play

Yeah, but the difference is that we knew going into the 2000 season that Dorsey had emerged as the starting QB needed to make a run.

Advertisement
Back