Can we do it?

If we drop a regular season game, my guess is that its @Va Tech. That's the game the scares me the most.

Second straight road game - Ga Tech the week before Va Tech.
GT is always a tough game physically on the D linemens lower bodys. Theyre blocking schemes are not forgiving. If we can get out of Georgia intact, I'll feel a lot better about Virginia

Advertisement
First game was in 1976 and was there in person for the Ship in "83. The item that is missing from my perspective is the fear from the opponents. We won more than one game before kickoff in the late 80s. I believe that the Coastal division respects us, but there is no fear of us yet, they all see a "possibility" to beat us. The fear will come with a few 11 win seasons.

Advertisement
First game was in 1976 and was there in person for the Ship in "83. The item that is missing from my perspective is the fear from the opponents. We won more than one game before kickoff in the late 80s. I believe that the Coastal division respects us, but there is no fear of us yet, they all see a "possibility" to beat us. The fear will come with a few 11 win seasons.
The fear will come when we curb stomp LSU 41-13

I think that bye week comes at the perfect time. Friday night road games have historically been bad karma for ranked teams (assuming the team is ranked in the top 10 when the game is played), so this gives extra time for preparation.
Ok ok.... I know what a “bye” week is. A “bi” week sounds.... oh never mind. I hate explaining jokes.

If our starters are still playing meaningful downs late in the 4th quarter against anyone in the Coastal outside of maybe VT, then we haven't turned that corner yet.

But if we start turning those games into glorified scrimmages where Shaq, AR etc. have their shoulder pads off watching the young bucks cut their teeth in the 2nd half, look out.

Take care of business against LSU and F$U, none of this playing down to our competition crap, and then we go to war against Clemson in Charlotte.

Like others have said, we need to stay healthy and have more lucky bounces go our way than not. But yeah, we have a chance.

Advertisement
Puncher's chance is the perfect metaphor. I think its' unrealistic to expect this team to win the title but I don't think it's an unrealistic possibility.

This is the first time in over a decade I can honestly say that. There's enough firepower on both sides to beat anybody but just not enough consistency to expect it. Plus, I believe Clemson is the best team in the nation this year and it seems likely we'll have to play them in the ACCCG.

This is the perfect post to answer op question. JMO. with this team I just feel like consistency, especially at the key positions of QB, OL, AND DT is the crutch that will determine our fate. Overall just not there, YET

Bingo

We can beat LSU. I expect to beat LSU. I'm not saying we're going to blow them out but I want a W there.

Next 4 games are W's. UNC has 50 11 players suspended until our Thursday night home game against them. That is a W

FSU is a rivalry game and we have not beaten them at home since 2004. Toss up. Straight up. Do I think we can win? Of course. Win the game.

Virginia will be an interesting one but we pull away late again.

Boston College after LSU and FSU is the scariest game on this schedule. They always play us tough up there but we have a bi-week to prepare. We should win.

Duke is Duke.

Georgia Tech is going to have issues with the new rules working against them and we have owned them of late. Win the game.

Blacksburg is a tough place to play but I believe barring a defensive coaching miracle they simply lost WAY to much talent to hang with our offense. You don't replace two starting 5th year senior corners along with the 7 other starters lost to attrition.

F*** PITTSBURGH

Listen if we roll into that Pittsburgh game 11-0 and lose? Shoot me in the face.

How on Earth should Virginia be an interesting one? They are EFFING ATROCIOUS. Their head coach said they have about 20 ACC caliber players on their roster for God sakes.

How on Earth should Virginia be an interesting one? They are EFFING ATROCIOUS. Their head coach said they have about 20 ACC caliber players on their roster for God sakes.

Did you watch the game last year? Mendenhall has a track record of producing quality on the field. I don't believe that statement for a second.

I think we beat them but go ahead and shed tears.

Advertisement
To answer this question I'd wait until after the lsu game to see where the offense is at.we know it can make big plays question can it grind out a long drive and score tds instead of field goals on a consistent basis.we do have talent but some of it still needs to grow up.

I'm 35 so I guess I squeak in. I was born in 1983...and as I remember it it was fantastic start to the year....or so I've read and watched.

But...I'm gonna have to say no for this year. Maybe in 1 or 2 more years.

Advertisement
Not quite.

But it’s amazing how in just a couple of years the entire vibe and intangibles around the program have transformed as well as the literal infrastructure. It’s not just lip service but concrete investments and actions.

The depth and talent are on their way back.

A flawed at times but solidly competent staff.

A bowl win vs a ranked opponent and a 10 win season including wins vs all of your rivals in one year; FSU, ND, and VT.

A Miami defense.

The tired old “it’s a process” cliche seems to actually mean something this time.

Not quite.

But it’s amazing how in just a couple of years the entire vibe and intangibles around the program have transformed as well as the literal infrastructure. It’s not just lip service but concrete investments and actions.

The depth and talent are on their way back.

A flawed at times but solidly competent staff.

A bowl win vs a ranked opponent and a 10 win season including wins vs all of your rivals in one year; FSU, ND, and VT.

A Miami defense.

The tired old “it’s a process” cliche seems to actually mean something this time.
A bowl win?
Sure you meant a major bowl appearance..

punchers chance? sure. reality? probably not.

the reason the 92 and 02 canes dont have rings with all the talent they had was oline. rosier is good enough. championships have been won by good defense/mediocre qb. but those teams had solid olines(looking at you ala). all we need is a good oline, not great or elite, just good. to call last years oline mediocre is probably too nice.

Advertisement
Back