Can manny improve to...

I'm amazed that people still want Cristobal. We will probably never have a "prodigal son returns" championship coach. It's as rare as hen's teeth.

We're not the only ones looking for that next great coach. We're also not the only ones missing.
No, but we been missing pretty badly for 15 years now in the most fertile CFB recruiting area in the US. Would think we would hit eventually. We hire lazy IMO, and it shows in the product. There is no way The Miami Hurricanes should have won the Coastal as many times as Duke. That is unacceptable.

But I go above Manny, Blandy, Coker, AL, not their fault really, or any coaches fault that they are bad hires, they just take the job that was offered. Look at the baseball team, same story with Gino. Admins are failing us, so we blame the poor hires. Then the KABz cry and say "yeah well who would YOU get???" and the other side says "anyone better than that" and the cycle never stops here.

That's a true take, and you know it

Last edited:
Advertisement
No, but we been missing pretty badly for 15 years now in the most fertile CFB recruiting area in the US. Would think we would hit eventually. We hire lazy IMO, and it shows in the product. There is no way The Miami Hurricanes should have won the Coastal as many times as Duke. That is unacceptable.

But I go above Manny, Blandy, Coker, AL, not their fault, or any coaches that they are bad hires, they just take the job. Look at the baseball team, same story with Gino. Admins are failing us, so we blame the poor hires. The the KABz cry and say "yeah well who would YOU get???" and the other side says "anyone better than that" and the cycle never stops.

That's a true take, and you know it
My comment is more about the dearth of great coaches. If there was one out there like Urban when he was at Utah, I'm 100% sure Blake James would've never noticed because he didn't fall in his lap.

It takes a commitment to excellence from everyone involved and too many AD's and coaches have reached the point where 10-11 wins makes them comfortable because the effort for more isn't worth the marginal return to them.

Riley is safer than the Pope in the Vatican. OU fans are more worried about him bolting for the NFL than them running him off. He can name his contract in Norman.

For now. Stoops won a natty in year 2. Then despite his excellent record, fans got tired of waiting for another ring.

https:// bleacherreport.com/articles/2314056-why-oklahomas-bob-stoops-should-no-longer-be-considered-an-elite-coach

Every fan base has its share of dummies, it's just that Miami dummy percentage seems to be a few points higher than others. Riley is currently 0-3 in the CFP and 1-3 in bowl games. When Riley gets to 0-6 in the CFP and or 1-6 in bowl games, you can rest assured that quite a few Oklahoma fans will be telling a different story- it will be about how Riley might be a decent coach, but he's proven he isn't elite and can't get over the hump.

For now. Stoops won a natty in year 2. Then despite his excellent record, fans got tired of waiting for another ring.

https:// bleacherreport.com/articles/2314056-why-oklahomas-bob-stoops-should-no-longer-be-considered-an-elite-coach

Every fan base has its share of dummies, it's just that Miami dummy percentage seems to be a few points higher than others. Riley is currently 0-3 in the CFP and 1-3 in bowl games. When Riley gets to 0-6 in the CFP and or 1-6 in bowl games, you can rest assured that quite a few Oklahoma fans will be telling a different story- it will be about how Riley might be a decent coach, but he's proven he isn't elite and can't get over the hump.
Number One Reaction GIF by Super Simple

I live here, they are pretty **** happy, if Grinch fixes the D he can name his time and money. They were LOSING THEIR MINDs when the Riley to Dallas news hit. He is very, very safe. Stoops was safe too, despite not winning a ring for 15 plus years, fans with knowledge know what they have and ADs like Joe C don't listen to the idiot fans.

Advertisement
My comment is more about the dearth of great coaches. If there was one out there like Urban when he was at Utah, I'm 100% sure Blake James would've never noticed because he didn't fall in his lap.

It takes a commitment to excellence from everyone involved and too many AD's and coaches have reached the point where 10-11 wins makes them comfortable because the effort for more isn't worth the marginal return to them.
Ultimately I put it on the ADs to be held accountable. If they make a crap hire why do we get so mad at the coach hired, he is just taking what is offered. Most people here are clueless on that and want to blame the Coaches only, that is far from the real problem at Miami right now. In all the major sports.

You disagree? Like you said our recent ADs take the tired/fired retread and don't do the work and research to find that hidden gem

Last edited:
Ultimately I put it on the ADs to be held accountable. If they make a crap hire why do we get so mad at the coach hired, he is just taking what is offered. Most people here are clueless on that and want to blame the Coaches only, that is far from the real problem at Miami right now. In all the major sports.

You disagree? Like you said our recent ADs take the tired/fired retread and don't do the work and research and take a risk.
Richt fell in his lap, Manny was out the door and got called back. DiMare got promoted. If Coach L leave do you expect anyone other than Caputo to take over? Even Coach L's son, who would be a pretty good choice, would only happen if Coach L drops it in his lap.

Blake James might know sports fundraising and basic operations, but his knowledge of the sports themselves extends to wearing a foam finger at the games.

I ***** with Manny. He has the drive to get better and the willingness to change in order to do it. Can’t ask for much more in a value brand coach
the problem with that statement is that his "willingness to change" equates to firing coaches that he hired himself. That's not sustainable. To be good, he needs to be able to adjust/improve mid-season, and game to game, instead of doing the same thing all year and then "winning the offseason" by making huge changes. With that said, the transfer market will be his saving grace like it already is.

Richt fell in his lap, Manny was out the door and got called back. DiMare got promoted. If Coach L leave do you expect anyone other than Caputo to take over? Even Coach L's son, who would be a pretty good choice, would only happen if Coach L drops it in his lap.

Blake James might know sports fundraising and basic operations, but his knowledge of the sports themselves extends to wearing a foam finger at the games.
BINGO, we are 100% on the same page. The main culprit is the one most here don't even think/know to mention. Until that changes good luck.

Advertisement

The last "Urban Meyer at Utah" was PeeWee Herman. That didn't quite turn out the way they thought it would.

and @Gooner#44 - you mentioned if "Grinch fixes the D he can name his time and money." If Grinch does somehow fix the D, he'll be gone in a heartbeat to be a P5 HC so he won't be sticking around to enjoy it. He's not a Bud Foster-type who is happy being a DC forever. He has publicly expressed his desire to be a HC soon. Won't be long until Oklahoma's D slips back to where it was before. And if Miami fans are any indication, defensive improvement is irrelevant to whether fans are happy or not- what matters is winning games. Doesn't matter if Grinch gets them to a top 25 defense if they keep getting knocked out of the playoffs over and over again and losing bowl games.

Regarding your statement that "recent ADs take the tired/fired retread and don't do the work and research to find that hidden gem." Mr. Al Golden was not a tired/fired retread. The AD tried to get away from the stereotype that Miami only hires people connected to the program. Golden was supposedly a "can't miss" name in head coaching circles.

"According to the Miami Herald, the search to replace Randy Shannon as head coach of the Miami Hurricanes has moved past such candidates as Jon Gruden and Bo Pelini and onto three new faces: Al Golden, Randy Edsall, and Marc Trestman. The paper's sources indicate a decision is expected within the week.

If Golden isn't considered the frontrunner out of this group, he ought to be. The guy won at Temple. TEMPLE. He's also got ACC bones, with previous coordinating and assistant experience at Virginia and Boston College. (Did we mention he put together a winning program at Temple?")"

https:// bleacherreport.com/articles/561464-college-football-coaching-carousel-winners-losers-still-looking-for-help

1. 2010 Job: Temple
    Rumor: Al Golden has been named the head coach at the University of Miami.
    Why He is a Winner: Golden has had a wild 14 months. Last December, he lost the Eagle Bank Bowl to UCLA after leading at the half. This season, he finished with an 8-4 record only to find that his Temple Owls were going to be shut out of a bowl game. This December, Golden was hired at Miami to take one of the great jobs in college football.
    While many people were surprised by the hire, I thought Miami did a great job hiring Golden. He is a great coach who runs a clean smash-mouth program. He will be awesome in Miami.

Your are using a variation of the "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy. Miami doesn't win because it won't do the research to find a hidden gem, but if a coach doesn't win, it proves Miami that Miami didn't do the research to find a hidden gem.
You preclude the possibility that Miami did the research and tried to find a hidden gem, but that the hire just didn't work out- as is the case with all but 3 or 4 programs in the country.

Or that is simply what is actually happening and it is not a fallacy? Ever think of that??

Lazy hires for two teams (Canes football and Canes baseball ) that can recruit Top 5 level talent in their own backyard year in and year out with ease is an AD problem my man. Plain and simple to me.

Not the coaches as much as the one hiring them

Last edited:

He's a ticket jockey who has fallen upwards through life.
The sort of guy whose wife does all of the grilling on the BBQ while he sit inside sipping a mimosa in the AC while "dishing" with the other wives.

Advertisement
Butch was an NFL assistant, DC at that. Manny isn’t comparable to that either. Butch also had won a natty before he was HC as a coordinator. Coker is comparable to that.
Butch wasn't a coordinator in 87...he was a DL coach...Wannstadt was DC..
At Dallas he was a DL coach for 1st SB....then DC for 2nd SB....

Look at what Riley inherited also...

I think he still needs an elite DC. He will be an upgrade over his boy Baker but I'm not a fan of having the HC call plays. I like Lashlee and I think we see a jump in year 2 of the offense with a full offseason this year. Can the defense actually gets stops in the big game? Since Manny has been here the better offenses we faced have gone up and down the field on us with ease while we feast on bad to average offenses.

Advertisement
Look at what Riley inherited also...
He is killing the recruiting and the portal game, his roster is loaded. Not sure he needed to inherit anything to be where he is at. He recruits better than Stoops by a mile and puts WRs and QBs in the NFL on the regular and has maybe the best OU team in the last 2 decades in 2021.

He is not Larry Coker.

Possibly, still want a thorough response.

Only time will answer your question.

We are in uncharted territory with Manny.

He has some strengths and some very deep flaws.

The only way he becomes an excellent head coach is if he continues to develop as a coach, corrects these deep flaws, and of course, produces results.

Only time will tell.

He is killing the recruiting and the portal game, his roster is loaded. Not sure he needed to inherit anything to be where he is at. He recruits better than Stoops by a mile and puts WRs and QBs in the NFL on the regular and has maybe the best OU team in the last 2 decades in 2021.

He is not Larry Coker.
Oklahoma has always been loaded. Stoops was still making major bowl appearances when he retired.

Oklahoma has always been loaded. Stoops was still making major bowl appearances when he retired.
They have not put QBs in the L #1 overall and have them in the Heisman Finals every year until Lincoln showed. That is Riley and his system/ability to draw elite recruits and transfers. His success is not because he inherited Bobs team like Larry did. He is the real deal. Your "look what he inherited" statement is laughable. He is already an elite CFB HC and has lost 8 games in 4 years at HC and never finished ranked lower than 6th. And not because of what he "inherited", LMAO. I would kill half of you on this board to have him as Miami's HC

He has Rattler now and Caleb Williams after, both will be Heisman finalists if not winners. Watch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back