Can manny improve to...

You said this:

"Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Larry Coker and Dennis Erickson were the same type of coaches."

That was no where near accurate, JJ and DE had multiple years as Head Coaches before Miami, that is a terrible comparison

I realize what we are as far as ability to get high level coaches, I was just referring to that horrible take that JJ and DE were "same type of coaches"

all good

At significantly lower profile programs. HC at a lower profile program is pretty comparable to a coordinator at a larger one. You do know the hiring of Jimmy was largely panned across the board and people were calling for his head after the first season, right? Need I remind you he was 29-25 at OSU? Or that Erickson went 12-10 at Washington State?

My point is this: it's not the last two decades. Miami has never been the school to poach big time, accomplished coaches from elsewhere, and we never will be.

Advertisement
At significantly lower profile programs. HC at a lower profile program is pretty comparable to a coordinator at a larger one. You do know the hiring of Jimmy was largely panned across the board and people were calling for his head after the first season, right? Need I remind you he was 29-25 at OSU? Or that Erickson went 12-10 at Washington State?

My point is this: it's not the last two decades. Miami has never been the school to poach big time, accomplished coaches from elsewhere, and we never will be.
Let's just go with you statement being inaccurate and call it a day. They were both HCs for years at Power 5 schools, stop it man, it's not helping. Diaz as a UM hire was NOTHING like JJ or DE, and no one but you believes that.

No we can't poach a Saban like guy, but we can find one blossoming into one and make that hire, if/when Manny gets the boot

I’ll bet you know next to nothing about me or your BS assumptions. To go out of your way to be a pompous *** says a ton.

I know all I need to know princess. You went out of your way to brag about yourself in an absurdly stupid manner and when it got pointed out to you, you took it personally and couldn't wash the sand out from your ******. Your panties are still clearly in a twist. And I'm fine.

If you think pointing out the correct use of an EXTREMELY common word is pompous, you're beyond help.

Great thread though!

Cry Baby Fx GIF by BasketsFX

Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Larry Coker and Dennis Erickson were the same type of coaches.
They were blessed to coach in an era before internet video and the explosion of cash at state universities.

Randy Shannon, Al Golden, and Manny Diaz were all similar coaches. Mark Richt had success elsewhere and had less success at Miami.

Manny has shown the ability to diagnose weak spots in the program and address them in a timely fashion through the portal and switching of offensive schemes. He needs to be better on gamedays though and I feel we saw growth in year two with the exception of the UNC debacle.

I would have liked to see him bring a DC to handle play-calling but he did bring in Schoop as an analyst and to help with game planning so that showed some forethought.

Advertisement
Let's just go with you statement being inaccurate and call it a day. They were both HCs for years at Power 5 schools, stop it man, it's not helping. Diaz as a UM hire was NOTHING like JJ or DE, and no one but you believes that.

Jesus dude. Is reading comprehension challenging for you? You said Diaz was the same type of coach we've hired for the last two decades... so Golden, Shannon, Coker and... RICHT.

Well, Richt was a HC for years at a P5 school. Like.... like.... Johnson and Erickson. Actually with a much longer tenure at a much larger school with a better record than either. So your argument was just completely invalidated.

If you're gonna try to tell me I'm wrong, you better come with a **** of a lot more than that.

They were blessed to coach in an era before internet video and the explosion of cash at state universities.

Randy Shannon, Al Golden, and Manny Diaz were all similar coaches. Mark Richt had success elsewhere and had less success at Miami.

Absolutely correct. But it doesn't negate the fact that neither were high profile coaches with a ton of previous success at major universities. Just like everyone else we've hired since, except Richt.

Jesus dude. Is reading comprehension challenging for you? You said Diaz was the same type of coach we've hired for the last two decades... so Golden, Shannon, Coker and... RICHT.

Well, Richt was a HC for years at a P5 school. Like.... like.... Johnson and Erickson. Actually with a much longer tenure at a much larger school with a better record than either. So your argument was just completely invalidated.

If you're gonna try to tell me I'm wrong, you better come with a **** of a lot more than that.
I said it?? Go quote where I said it Ace.....

You were wrong, your porst was laughable at best, terrible take

JJ couldn't until he did. Butch couldn't until he did. Golden couldn't, and then.. Couldn't. Randy never sniffed it. We won't know until we know. It's really up to Manny. Does he evolve and learn and get his system working to maximize the talent he has?

Advertisement
a championship level or will he stay where he is as a coach? Can’t win big games? What say you?
I'll say this. My biggest gripe with Manny as a coach was not the fact that we were losing games. It was the WAY we were losing games. We constantly looked unprepared and consistently failed to make adjustments during the games. It would take until after halftime or sometimes no adjustments seemed to be made at all in some games. Couple those things in with the fact that he's already responsible for some of the programs worst losses in our history and that is what soured me on Manny so quickly.

With that said, his ability to recognize things that are not working (coaching staff members, schemes) and then taking action to correct them has restored a good amount of my faith back in him. Players seem to love him, he seems like a likeable enough guy, and we did improve record wise last year. All of this has lead me to now, where I am giving him another year before putting my verdict in. If we win the games we should this year and show fight against the Bama's and Clemson's (assuming we see them in Charlotte), I will be a lot more comfortable in his trajectory as someone who can take us where we need to be.

Manny has shown the ability to diagnose weak spots in the program and address them in a timely fashion through the portal and switching of offensive schemes. He needs to be better on gamedays though and I feel we saw growth in year two with the exception of the UNC debacle.

I would have liked to see him bring a DC to handle play-calling but he did bring in Schoop as an analyst and to help with game planning so that showed some forethought.
Did barely beating Nc st and vt give you pause?

Seems like many are of the belief Shoop is effectively DC in waiting and only an analyst this year because of his contract with Michigan. And if that doesn't work, T-Rob is basically getting a one-year audition, and Simpson could be a viable candidate as well.

Advertisement
I said it?? Go quote where I said it Ace.....

You were wrong, your porst was laughable at best, terrible take

Fair, I responded to another comment that you replied to. My mistake. It doesn't change the fact that Jimmy and Dennis were middling .500 at nothing programs and Diaz was a DC at Texas and Miami, among others.

To sit here and say Jimmy and Dennis had done WAY MORE than Diaz is absolutely laughable. The only truly accomplished coach we've hired in my lifetime is Richt.

So please, tell me all about Jimmy and Erickson's accomplishments as coaches before Miami. I'll wait.

Fair, I responded to another comment that you replied to. My mistake. It doesn't change the fact that Jimmy and Dennis were middling .500 at nothing programs and Diaz was a DC at Texas and Miami, among others.

To sit here and say Jimmy and Dennis had done WAY MORE than Diaz is absolutely laughable. The only truly accomplished coach we've hired in my lifetime is Richt.

So please, tell me all about Jimmy and Erickson's accomplishments as coaches before Miami. I'll wait.
Stop it man, you are making a fool of yourself comparing the Diaz hire to JJ and DE as similar hires. No DC with ZERO HC experience who has been ****-canned is "the same hire" as guys who were Head Coaches at Power 5 schools for 5 years and 7 years. You are failing badly here......

Stop it man, you are making a fool of yourself comparing the Diaz hire to JJ and DE as similar hires. No DC with ZERO HC experience who has been ****-canned is "the same hire" as guys who were Head Coaches at Power 5 schools for 5 years and 7 years. You are failing badly here......

And yet you still refuse to tell me how accomplished Erickson and Johnson were at the time of their hires.

In fairness, I was comparing those hires to Golden, with Diaz being more like Shannon/Coker. Regardless, you have no ground to stand on talking about how the two were so much more accomplished than Diaz. If I asked you right now if you'd prefer to hire a DC from a major, blue blood program or an HC from a second-tier program who barely kept his head about .500... you'd totally take the HC, right?

Apparently going 32-15 at Idaho means a lot to you.

So you're just going to continue to sit here and try to invalidate my opinion by doing nothing to back yours up. Which is what happens in middle school debate.

Advertisement
And yet you still refuse to tell me how accomplished Erickson and Johnson were at the time of their hires.

In fairness, I was comparing those hires to Golden, with Diaz being more like Shannon/Coker. Regardless, you have no ground to stand on talking about how the two were so much more accomplished than Diaz. If I asked you right now if you'd prefer to hire a DC from a major, blue blood program or an HC from a second-tier program who barely kept his head about .500... you'd totally take the HC, right?

Apparently going 32-15 at Idaho means a lot to you.

So you're just going to continue to sit here and try to invalidate my opinion by doing nothing to back yours up. Which is what happens in middle school debate.
I quit, you sound like/look a fool with that comparison, but keep on...... 12 years as HC's @ Power 5 schools >>>>>>>>> a fired lifelong DC, not even a debate (except to your dense ***).

I quit, you sound like/look a fool with that comparison, but keep on...... 12 years as HC's @ Power 5 schools >>>>>>>>> a fired lifelong DC, not even a debate (except to your dense ***).
I see your point, gooner. Isnt it fair to say though that any head coach we hire with previous exp. that we can afford would have a resume similar to Golden?

No, he gets fairly criticized because Manny the coordinator was here before Manny the head coach. Manny the coordinator really underperformed from a recruiting/talent evaluation standpoint at several positions within that defense which in turn led to Manny the head coach underperforming and losing some games he should have won.

This isn't a new outside coach who needs time to implement his system, his system has been here for 5-6 years now. He's already had to fire each of his hand picked initial coordinators as well.
Improvement

I see your point, gooner. Isnt it fair to say though that any head coach we hire with previous exp. that we can afford would have a resume similar to Golden?
No, why can't we jump on a guy like a Lincoln Riley/Matt Campbell type or some young hotshot from an FCS school showing out? Why hire a career DC? Because he was on the staff already and a cheap/easy hire??

That's my point, you hired a retread DC that had never been a HC. Take a risk on a guy that has gotten programs/units better every year, not a guy who has been only a DC for over a decade and got fired by Mack.

I want them to take a risk if Manny gets the axe, **** I wanted the UAB Coach over Diaz.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back