Cam Ward to Portal

No way in **** these college dudes continue making more than some of the pros. This won't last very long imho.

If anything, I can see NFL contracts being leveraged against college players demanding big money.

For crying out loud, we heard Jacolby George turned down 375k, because he wants half a million. LOL, not sure if that is actually true, but it is absolutely ludicrous.

Why in the **** should some WR3 or backup QB in college make / have potential to make more than an NFL player?

Colbie Young, not George. And he's likely to sign with either UGA or Penn State. We'll see if he gets his $500K deal.

The NFL likely supports these NIL deals. It keeps kids in college longer so the NFL has more data on their draft picks and players have more knowledge and experience prior to entering the NFL.

Advertisement
Colbie Young, not George. And he's likely to sign with either UGA or Penn State. We'll see if he gets his $500K deal.

The NFL likely supports these NIL deals. It keeps kids in college longer so the NFL has more data on their draft picks and players have more knowledge and experience prior to entering the NFL.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, Young.

Of course the NFL likes this. They have a free minor league system fully funded by the NCAA and universities. Tough to blame them for liking the setup.

Truth is I wouldn't be surprise if Young got the money this season. I would be surprised if the numbers being reported continue to be as high as we have been reading about. NIL is here to stay so time will tell.

Let's see. I could be wrong, could be right.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, Young.

Of course the NFL likes this. They have a free minor league system fully funded by the NCAA and universities. Tough to blame them for liking the setup.

Truth is I wouldn't be surprise if Young got the money this season. I would be surprised if the numbers being reported continue to be as high as we have been reading about. NIL is here to stay so time will tell.

Let's see. I could be wrong, could be right.

Lets be clear: EVERYONE in the channel likes the money. The only ones who didnt like the money were college athletes prior to Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit, which opened the door, or should I say closed the door on the NCAA's indentured servitude system.

The universities love this system. Instead of the NFL running the minor leagues and profiting from it, the university system profits from it. These universities bring in hundreds of millions of dollars from just two sports; Men's football and Men's basketball. Those two sports subsidize every other sport, hundreds of university jobs and provide a large stream of revenue for the universities to spend however they choose.

Advertisement
Lets be clear: EVERYONE in the channel likes the money. The only ones who didnt like the money were college athletes prior to Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit, which opened the door, or should I say closed the door on the NCAA's indentured servitude system.

The universities love this system. Instead of the NFL running the minor leagues and profiting from it, the university system profits from it. These universities bring in hundreds of millions of dollars from just two sports; Men's football and Men's basketball. Those two sports subsidize every other sport, hundreds of university jobs and provide a large stream of revenue for the universities to spend however they choose.

Let's see if these players continue to make the amounts being reported. I am skeptical that it will last, could be wrong. I don't really care to be right / wrong on this, just doesn't make much sense.

Thought the same thing last night in regards to the portal candidates, it’s their time now and hopefully they get the right pieces
Mario's got enough talent through these last two classes that he doesn't need to take a giant portal class. Definitely will be quality over quantity. You only really need 3-4 more guys imo

Advertisement

Not sure if this is true or not about Arch Manning, but Brock Purdy is making $870k this year, and he still has 2 MORE years on his rookie contract.

By the end of next year, his THIRD, he will have made about $2.6mil.

Cam Ward is being offered $2mil+ to for ONE YEAR of college football.

I know there's other variables and Brock is an extreme example since he was the very last pick, but he also got the starting job out of pure luck (just like Tom Brady).

… but then Purdy will be making > $40M lol.
The rookie wage scale isn’t position dependent

While I believe the NIL System is fair for the kids and the Big Schools, and is a good bet for the League (the Minor League Principle), I think the Smaller Schools are going to come under pressure because of their anemic Bag Game.

That's why I think the smaller universities and HSBC's will eventually go running to Congress to "bring relief" and some sort of federal regulation to the system. The deep pocketed schools will still be able to do what they are doing now, because they can afford the lobbyists, but this is the way it's headed, I fear.

Where there's gobs of money sloshing around, the politicians are soon to round the corner, looking for their cut.

The transfer portal will eventually become like MLB free agency where the most in demand players make ridiculous money and every one else just hopes to catch on somewhere.

Not Moving Wake Up GIF by Travis

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bring it.

As much as I’ve been critical of how Ward camp has handled this, I’ve always agreed he’s a top talent. Needs to protect the ball. But behind our human wall OL he’s going to shine. Will be ecstatic for the team if he becomes a Cane.

Advertisement
Back