Cam Harris

Why does everything turn into an nfl discussion? The dude’s played 6 games and been horrible in half of them.

Why do we need the nfl to either confirm or refute that? If he goes on to have an average nfl career where he never carries the ball and is out of the league in 3 years it won’t change anything about this 6 games or his reaction to his own failures.

Advertisement
Even that beautiful 75 yard TD run against Louisville was because he was able to get around the line and to the sideline untouched. Getting him the first 5 yards was Lashlee's playcalling so that Louisville would put their defense in that position, the rest was pure speed.

I like Cam and it would be nice if the O line could open up a hole so we can capitalize on his skills.

His vision is horrendous and toughness is lacking. After every decent sprint, he gets up limping. 'Cam Coley' is what I call him.

I think he’s been having bad games because teams have been putting 7/8 in the box at the beginning of games man. They give Cam his carries at the beginning and he doesn’t produce so they take him out. By the time the other RBs get in we have our passing game going a bit so they have a little room. So they just keep feeding them and forget about Lil Cam lol. He’ll be fine these next few games.

Advertisement
I could see him leaving simply because Chaney and Knighton pass him and Thad is coming as well. I also love the way Burns has run at the end of some of these games, defenses are tired and then we bring in a big back that's running hard.

Why does everything turn into an nfl discussion? The dude’s played 6 games and been horrible in half of them.

Why do we need the nfl to either confirm or refute that? If he goes on to have an average nfl career where he never carries the ball and is out of the league in 3 years it won’t change anything about this 6 games or his reaction to his own failures.
100%

Cam is at the door of the "5 Timers Club". That's a RB who lead us in carries for the season while averaging under 4 ypc in 5 straight games.

Javarris James 2007 & Mark Walton 2016 are the only ones wearing the jacket.

The template for the defense is always the same - the OL is bad, the play calling is bad, they're NFL talents - usually with a splash of they're great pass catchers & pass blockers, and/or great on Special Teams.

All of which totally ignores the fact they've just flat out sucked at running the ball for an extended period of games, and there's always another RB in the backfield performing better in those same games - whether it's Graig Cooper, Joe Yearby, or Don Chaney. And that maybe they're just not that good.

ivins on his pod basically said he'd make a mistake leaving bc he hasn't been good against the top tier DLs we've played. obviously, we suck at run blocking, but the frosh seem to find holes and creases that cam doesnt

this was before UVA btw
It's all so silly because a running back's success is so dependent on his offense line. I attribute the success that the freshman had in the 2nd half against UVA to us wearing down the UVA defense. If they had given Cam some snaps in the 3rd and 4th quarters, he would have had just as much success as the other guys.

We have 4 really good running backs (yes, I think Burns is really good when healthy). I'd love for us to run the ball successfully giving each 8-10 touches running the ball and a few more in the passing game.

Last edited:
It's all so silly because a running back's success is so dependent on his offense line. I attribute the success that the freshman had in the 2nd half against UVA to us wearing down the UVA defense. If they had given Cam some snaps in the 3rd and 4th quarters, he would have had just as much success as the other guys.

We have 4 really good running backs (yes, I think Burns is really good if healthy). I'd love for us to run the ball successfully giving each 8-10 touches running the ball and a few more in the passing game.

i agree on that as a lot of chaneys success came off when we opened it up in the pass game esp down the stretch when UVA was gassed and we were going tempo.

Advertisement
i agree on that as a lot of chaneys success came off when we opened it up in the pass game esp down the stretch when UVA was gassed and we were going tempo.

I get all that sounds like it makes sense - but isn't the reality.

Cam was 7-13 and Chaney was 2-10 in the 1st half vs. UVA. Plus Chaney already had a higher ypc in the previous 3 games.

Our 2nd drive of the 3rd Quarter was a 15 play (12 run 3 pass) drive where Chaney had 31 yds, Knighton had 17 yds, and Cam had -5 yds.

I don't think UVA was gassed midway through the 3rd quarter. Cam had his worst carry on the same drive where Chaney & Knighton were at their best. And we finished the drive with 7 straight runs, so I don't think it was our passing that softened up the defense.

I think Cam will turn it around around. But it's ok to acknowledge that Cam just hasn't played well the last couple games, needs to improve, and Chaney has been straight up better. It can be as simple as that. No need to try and force excuses as to why.

I get all that sounds like it makes sense - but isn't the reality.

Cam was 7-13 and Chaney was 2-10 in the 1st half vs. UVA. Plus Chaney already had a higher ypc in the previous 3 games.

Our 2nd drive of the 3rd Quarter was a 15 play (12 run 3 pass) drive where Chaney had 31 yds, Knighton had 17 yds, and Cam had -5 yds.

I don't think UVA was gassed midway through the 3rd quarter. Cam had his worst carry on the same drive where Chaney & Knighton were at their best. And we finished the drive with 7 straight runs, so I don't think it was our passing that softened up the defense.

I think Cam will turn it around around. But it's ok to acknowledge that Cam just hasn't played well the last couple games, needs to improve, and Chaney has been straight up better. It can be as simple as that. No need to try and force excuses as to why.

i agree that he hasnt played well thats why i did say that he doesnt find the holes and creases that the others do before uVA game. he had two big time opps to show hes ready against two top tier DLs

Again, the OL is horrible when it comes to run blocking. The OL is better at pass blocking. If the OL doesn’t get better, the Canes will struggle scoring, especially in the red zone. It’s almost impossible to consistently score in the red zone without an effective run game.

Clark and Scaife have been very ineffective, especially in short yardage. They are not executing their blocks. The coaches say Rivers and the other backup OLs aren’t ready, but I will just have to trust it, even though I have my doubts.

King hasn’t been good with his zone reads, ball fakes and RPOs, and that has contributed Somewhat to the Cam’s struggles.

That said, Cam also bears some responsibility for not taking what is there. Deejay Dallas often did that last year, and he would occasionally break a tackle and break a long run. Cam hasn’t been consistently good at seeing the space and hitting it the way Hickson and the coaches (and most IZ/OZ coaches) teach it. That is why the the the backups have done better. They all are running behind the same horrible run blocking.

I still think that these are issues on offense can be fixed by this coaching staff and these talented players. Cam can be a very productive RB by following his blocks the way the coaches teach it, and the Canes can be more effective in the early downs and red zone If Cam does. The NC State game will be another test to determine if the Canes are stepping forward like I think they can.

Advertisement
Yes, 50+ yard runs make you good. There's a reason teams devoted so many resources to stopping Cam after the first two games.

Cam is flawed and takes too many negative runs, but anybody who thinks he is a below-average or even an average player doesn't watch enough CFB.
He’s average lol but what’s wrong with average? It doesn’t mean bad

If you can name more than 3 backs in the same conference you would take before him, he’s average. I’m not saying he’s bad but he's not a world beater. You would take both UNC backs, Louisville’s backs, Clemson’s back, and quite possibly GT’s freshman back before cam.

I think he's getting crushed in the backfield every time he gets the ball.
Sometimes it looks like the 2 guards and our center are trying to tackle our RB's. Last year our tackles were turnstiles so it wasn't as prevalent, but this year it's gotten really bad. We are soft up the middle, no push. Tough for anyone to run behind that...

Go Canes!

Advertisement
If you can name more than 3 backs in the same conference you would take before him, he’s average. I’m not saying he’s bad but he's not a world beater. You would take both UNC backs, Louisville’s backs, Clemson’s back, and quite possibly GT’s freshman back before cam.
It's funny how a lot fans don't do math.

If you're not AT LEAST 3rd team all-conference (as a starter) in a typical year (yes, sometimes a conference has 3 truly stellar backs, but it's unusual), you are probably average and are not likely to have a long-term pro career. It's a numbers game.

It's funny how a lot fans don't do math.

If you're not AT LEAST 3rd team all-conference in a typical year (yes, sometimes a conference has 3 truly stellar backs, but it's unusual), you are probably average and are not likely to have a long-term pro career. It's a numbers game.
It’s really as simple as that. Idk what the argument is. He wouldn’t be the best back on a couple teams we’re better than

Advertisement
Back