Cam Davis Update - FWIW

Advertisement
Agreed. At this point, I'm only concerned about DL and OL and maybe the secondary. But we brought in some guys in the secondary last year who are capable of playing CB or S, so that versatility eases my worries there.

OL - We have the numbers, just need to develop what we have (and what we are bringing in in 2019) and shore up the Tackle positions. Guards, we are more than set.

DL - That's where my focus is. Need more across the board. Address that with this class and we are set.

Feel like we're all a little too worried about DB. We've got probably the best safety in the country, one of the best corners in the country, a solid second S in Redwine, Bandy has experience and we know what he can do. Only big issue is depth, and the second string guys might be a little inexperienced but are all dogs. And that's not even mentioning Amari Carter, who I think steps up big this season.

OL is young, but Searels has hauled in 2 straight quality classes, with another on the way. DL is too thin, but potential is off the charts. Simpson will get that right. Last DB class was excellent, need another. But can't keep losing the elite So FL kids there.

With Lo and Davis added, RB is already as good as any in the country, certainly top 5. Crowley and McIntosh would continue that trend. Brown has a real problem on his hands now. A good one, but a conundrum nonetheless. If Burns is truly healthy, that gives you 5 RBs -- Homer, Dallas, Burns, Lingard and Davis -- that could be top quartile in the ACC playing for any other team. How the **** do you play all these kids? Dugans is equally loaded, but at least at WR you can go 4- or 5-wide at times. Gotta get these boys touches!

You shirt Davis knowing Homer is probably gone after this season. Homer is RB1, Lingard is RB2, Deejay gets in a variety of packages (and catches the ball more often), and Burns is your short-yardage and late game back.

Advertisement
We had momentum early and all of them stuck with the exception of Jobe who when you think about it gave us indications early that he was not totally committed. This is a disturbingly different year. There are at least five elite South Fl. Kids that should be already committed and helping the class but they are not. All talk about rebuilding the crib but they unlike the sf kids last year say all the right things but are coy when it comes to decision dates. How can we not think that the insidious evil of buying football players though not new is out in the open this year like never before. Add those five and you all know who they are to what we already have and we would be doing backflips

Last edited:
We had momentum early and all of them stuck with the exception of Jobe who when you think about it gave us indications early that he was not totally committed. This is a disturbingly different year. There are at least five elite South Fl. Kids that should be already committed and helping the class but they are not. All talk about rebuilding the crib but they unlike the sf kids last year say all the right things but are coy when it comes to decision dates. How can we not think that the insidious evil of buying football players though not new is out in the open this year like never before. Add those five and you all now who they are to what we already have and we would be doing backflips

Josh Jobe will not be a Miami Hurricane...

Advertisement
Cam’s real value will come as a receiver. He has natural hands and excellent feel. Once he is in open space, he has home run speed and the strength to shed tacklers.

The key for him will be pass protection. If he masters that, he will find a role quickly.

We would've averaged less than 125 yards per game running the ball when you take away Malik's rushing yards. That would've been good for 110th in the country. We were 71st with Malik's production (still bad). Suffice it to say the surrounding cast has a significant amount of work to do as well. I'm a million times more concerned about whether the OL is up to the task this year than Malik.
I had it at 115th and 79th, respectfully, based on stats from one site, but yeah. ****. That has to be fixed. No other team in the top 15 was worse than 54th. We had no business winning 10 (11) games last season.

Cam’s real value will come as a receiver. He has natural hands and excellent feel. Once he is in open space, he has home run speed and the strength to shed tacklers.

The key for him will be pass protection. If he masters that, he will find a role quickly.
think he's a fit to return kicks?

As much as I love Lingard's physical tools...

I'm willing to make a friendly wager that Cam passes him on the depth chart once live action gets crackin'.

I'm very high on this kid.

Advertisement
As much as I love Lingard's physical tools...

I'm willing to make a friendly wager that Cam passes him on the depth chart once live action gets crackin'.

I'm very high on this kid.
I like cam abilities too but posts like this don’t really make since when he barely had 300 yards rushing his senior year even without Nayquan wright playing. Probably want to slow that down a bit. He does have a nice skill set and film over the years but without the production you would want from a blue chip recruit. Personally I’m high on both of these guys really and they both have plenty of room to improve which in sure they will over the years

Last edited:

Over Deejay, who would probably be used in a similar role? I'm not at all down on Davis but just don't see how he gets much real burn this season.

I like cam abilities too but posts like this don’t really make since when he barely had 300 yards rushing his senior year even without Nayquan wright playing. Probably want to slow that down a bit. He does have a nice skill set and film over the years but without the production you would want from a blue chip recruit. Personally I’m high on both of these guys really and they both have plenty of room to improve which in sure they will over the years

#1 - How do you know what his stats were?

#2 - If he indeed only had 300 yards rushing, was it because of his ability or something else?

Obviously he doesn't suck. Obviously he's a kid who can gain much more than 300 yards in a high school season. (see: his junior tape)

What I'm saying makes plenty of sense cause I'm basing it off what I've seen from his high school career. Not only does he play much better competition than Lingard but he's already accustomed to running within a similar scheme. That's what I'm betting on.

Advertisement
#1 - How do you know what his stats were?

#2 - If he indeed only had 300 yards rushing, was it because of his ability or something else?

Obviously he doesn't suck. Obviously he's a kid who can gain much more than 300 yards in a high school season. (see: his junior tape)

What I'm saying makes plenty of sense cause I'm basing it off what I've seen from his high school career. Not only does he play much better competition than Lingard but he's already accustomed to running within a similar scheme. That's what I'm betting on.
Carol City offense was bad last year for whatever reason, Davis definitely can play and has a powerful build 5’10 205. Should be interesting to watch

Lingard in terms of athleticism and build is very similar to Todd Gurley coming out of highschool. Same type of speed (10.70 for both of them in the 100m.**** he even played in the same type of offense that lingard played in and this was in North Carolina and made the transition to a power based running scheme. It can happen and it worked out very well for gurley. There was a reason richt targeted lingard for all of these years

Last edited:

Not to derail the thread or take away from Cam at all....he looks like a really nice prospect. But in looking at his film and numbers, Keontra Smith ran a slightly faster 40 with a SPARQ score 10 points higher at an inch bigger, few pounds heavier, and a year younger at The Opening regional last year in Miami. That kid is a serious athlete and is gonna be a monster here.

But he has to pass up Dallas for that role because that’s where he excels as well.

Advertisement
Back