Cam Davis 40

Advertisement
Laser times are, typically, .24 slower than hand times.

So, for any of y'all suggesting 4.59 and 4.63 laser times are not "elite" ... Make the adjustment, and ask yourself how you feel about a 4.35 40 for Davis and a 4.39 for Lingard.

And those kids are still in the 11th grade ...

Some of yall need to stay off of Playstation, or pay attention to the NFL combine 40 times.

4.6 on the laser is elite for a high school kid.

Where are you getting .24 from? Here's a article comparing the Hand Held times vs, the Electronic times at the NFL combine (scroll down to see the times). The difference is about .05 - .10.

2015 NFL Combine: Real-time 40s to be used for first time - CBSSports.com

As a comparison - here's The Opening numbers for Miami RB's:

Davis - 5'10" 190 4.59
Burns - 5'11" 215 4.57
Homer - 5'11" 195 4.48
Walton - 5'9" 182 4.63
Yearby - 5'9" 179 4.58
Gus - 6'2" 221 4.58

But here's some of the Elite at The Opening:

Dalvin Cook - 5'11" 196 4.46
Sony Michel - 5'11" 194 4.46
Nick Chubb - 5'11" 217 4.47
Joe Mixon - 6'1" 209 4.53

I know I sound like a hater - but saying 4.59 is "elite" just isn't fair to the kid. It's setting expectations too high. I'm excited about our 2018 RB's, but I can already see the hype train starting to get a little out of control.

I'm totally on board with saying Davis is a Walton/Yearby level/type of talent. But he's definitely not in the the Duke/Cook category. I think the Michel/Collins/Scarlett category is over-hyping him a bit too IMO.

I posted times from that same article the other day for a different purpose. You apparently don't understand that the combine times released are not "laser" times. They are laser start, hand stop. Look at the times in that article you linked - they are not comparing hand times to laser times. They are comparing hand time to what they release at the combine, which is laser start, hand stop. Some of those differ by .12 (maybe more, I didn't double check). That's with only one human reaction in the timing. Use 2 human reactions (hand timing), and the difference could easily be .24 between FAT and hand timing.

So, for any of y'all suggesting 4.59 and 4.63 laser times are not "elite" ... Make the adjustment, and ask yourself how you feel about a 4.35 40 for Davis and a 4.39 for Lingard.

Some of yall need to stay off of Playstation, or pay attention to the NFL combine 40 times.

Where are you getting .24 from? Here's a article comparing the Hand Held times vs, the Electronic times at the NFL combine (scroll down to see the times). The difference is about .05 - .10.

Davis - 5'10" 190 4.59
Burns - 5'11" 215 4.57
Homer - 5'11" 195 4.48
Walton - 5'9" 182 4.63
Yearby - 5'9" 179 4.58

I know I sound like a hater - but saying 4.59 is "elite" just isn't fair to the kid. It's setting expectations too high. I'm excited about our 2018 RB's, but I can already see the hype train starting to get a little out of control.

I'm totally on board with saying Davis is a Walton/Yearby level/type of talent. But he's definitely not in the the Duke/Cook category. I think the Michel/Collins/Scarlett category is over-hyping him a bit too IMO.

You think putting Davis in the same category as Scarlett is overhyping him? Yikes.

I definitely do. Scarlett is a notch above Walton/Yearby IMO.

I'm taking a wait & see approach on Davis to see what he does this year. But he's run for 1,119 yards with a 5.8 YPC the last 2 years. He only averaged 6.7 YPC last year. That's concerning. But he did BLOW UP in the playoffs last year, so that's a good sign. For me though, the jury is still out on Davis.

I like Davis...Think he's a take...Don't understand passing Curry for him though. Maybe it's because Curry is old for his grade is all I can think.

I'd take 3 personally.

Advertisement

Fair points and I kinda agree...

The one thing I will say about Davis he is a very powerful, efficient runner. He runs BIG which is both a blessing but possibly an injury curse (191 now, probably play at about 200-205 tops at UM as he is pretty muscular now)

Last edited:

Davis - 5'10" 190 4.59
Burns - 5'11" 215 4.57
Homer - 5'11" 195 4.48
Walton - 5'9" 182 4.63
Yearby - 5'9" 179 4.58
Gus - 6'2" 221 4.58

I posted times from that same article the other day for a different purpose. You apparently don't understand that the combine times released are not "laser" times. They are laser start, hand stop. Look at the times in that article you linked - they are not comparing hand times to laser times. They are comparing hand time to what they release at the combine, which is laser start, hand stop. Some of those differ by .12 (maybe more, I didn't double check). That's with only one human reaction in the timing. Use 2 human reactions (hand timing), and the difference could easily be .24 between FAT and hand timing.

upvote

I learned something today

4.5 is a good time for a runningback that size he's gonna be in the 4.4s in no time. I personally like the kid better then lingard.

Any high schooler that runs a laser 4.5 is elite. There is no way around that. Only 15 rbs ran a 4.59 or faster at the 2016 Nfl combine. However, it is very unlikely that his time drops to a 4.4 by the time he leaves Miami

Advertisement

Amen, brother!

40 yards is a pretty short distance. It's no necessarily and indication of your speed but explosiveness, even though not in all cases

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Any high schooler that runs a laser 4.5 is elite. There is no way around that. Only 15 rbs ran a 4.59 or faster at the 2016 Nfl combine. However, it is very unlikely that his time drops to a 4.4 by the time he leaves Miami

It's not unlikely. Ahmmon richards ran a 4.7 in highschool and now he's the fastest on the team running 4.3-4.43 range. Herb waters had a similar increase in his 40 too

Advertisement

Davis - 5'10" 190 4.59
Burns - 5'11" 215 4.57
Homer - 5'11" 195 4.48
Walton - 5'9" 182 4.63
Yearby - 5'9" 179 4.58

You think putting Davis in the same category as Scarlett is overhyping him? Yikes.

I definitely do. Scarlett is a notch above Walton/Yearby IMO.

I'm taking a wait & see approach on Davis to see what he does this year. But he's run for 1,119 yards with a 5.8 YPC the last 2 years. He only averaged 6.7 YPC last year. That's concerning. But he did BLOW UP in the playoffs last year, so that's a good sign. For me though, the jury is still out on Davis.

On what planet is Scarlett above Walton? He's not even his equal. Walton put up better stats last year than Scarlett has for his entire career.

I understand the case for Walton over Scarlett, but I disagree with it. I know this is taking this thread off the rails, but....

Scarlett career college YPC 5.0
Walton career college YPC 4.6

Scarlett HS YPC 8.2
Walton HS YPC 7.7

Scarlett 2016 YPC 5.0
Walton 2016 5.3

I agree that Walton had a better year statistically than Scarlett in 2016. No question there. But that doesn't mean Walton is the better RB.

What Scarlett did in the SEC with his supporting cast is more impressive than what Walton did in the ACC with his supporting cast IMO.

You can say Miami's OL has been terrible, but who on Florida's line would you rather have? Ivey & Sharpe maybe, but that's it. Florida doesn't have a very good OL either. Miami OL players have better draft grades on CBS right now than Florida players do.

Miami had - Kaaya throwing too Coley, Richards & Njoku.
Florida had - Appleby/Del Rio throwing to Calloway, Powell and Goolsby

Would you trade any of those FL players for any of those Miami players? Scarlett played in an atrocious offense while Walton had NFL talent at all the skill positions around him.

Time will tell - But Scarlett is bigger, stronger, and faster than Walton, and has always been the better RB to me. I'm not saying Scarlett is a stud and Walton sucks. It's just my opinion, but I'm pretty confident that Scarlett is a notch better.

Last edited:

Yes, but only 22 RB's ran the 40 at the 2016 NFL combine. So another way to say that is - "68% of the RB's at the 2016 NFL combine ran better than a 4.59".

At this point - If Davis ran a 4.50 at 190 lbs., that would be elite. If he ran a 4.59 at 215 lbs., that would be elite. But a 4.59 at 190 lbs. is a good time - not elite.

Advertisement

Yes, but only 22 RB's ran the 40 at the 2016 NFL combine. So another way to say that is - "68% of the RB's at the 2016 NFL combine ran better than a 4.59".

At this point - If Davis ran a 4.50 at 190 lbs., that would be elite. If he ran a 4.59 at 215 lbs., that would be elite. But a 4.59 at 190 lbs. is a good time - not elite.
So you're comparing 40 times of 21-23 year olds to a 16-17 year old and what's elite ?

This is the same guy who said Scarlett is better than Walton. So we got a troll or just a porster on our hands.

LOL at using one 40 time to judge if someone has elite speed or not. Football is played with a helmet and pads. Watch the god**** tape ...nobody is catching Cam once he's gone.

"Wellll if it was clocked .08 seconds faster only then would he have ELITE speed"

Last edited:

It's not unlikely. Ahmmon richards ran a 4.7 in highschool and now he's the fastest on the team running 4.3-4.43 range. Herb waters had a similar increase in his 40 too

It is not humanely possible to slash .4 off a 40 yard dash in one year fam

Advertisement
Back