Calais Campbell to the Ravens

Advertisement
Jaguars selling off everything not bolted to the wall.

You'll see a ton of tweets and commentary about the AFC Championship defense that is no longer in Jacksonville, but low key, the Jaguars defense was bad last year and a lot of those players on that great defense a few years ago are now washed and not that good.

The only remaining defenders worth anything were Jalen Ramsey, Calais Campbell, and Yannick Ngakoue. All will receive compensation. Other players like Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, Aaron Colvin, AJ Bouye, Marcell Dareus are no longer good. Barry Church, Paul Pozluszny, and Telvin Smith no longer play football.

Burning it down and selling everything off sounds like a smart idea.

Advertisement
Jaguars selling off everything not bolted to the wall.

You'll see a ton of tweets and commentary about the AFC Championship defense that is no longer in Jacksonville, but low key, the Jaguars defense was bad last year and a lot of those players on that great defense a few years ago are now washed and not that good.

The only remaining defenders worth anything were Jalen Ramsey, Calais Campbell, and Yannick Ngakoue. All will receive compensation. Other players like Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, Aaron Colvin, AJ Bouye, Marcell Dareus are no longer good. Barry Church, Paul Pozluszny, and Telvin Smith no longer play football.

Burning it down and selling everything off sounds like a smart idea.
Yeah my first response was excitement as I love UM and the Ravens. My second question was whether Campbell was still good. Seems like he's still got gas in the tank. The Ravens biggest potential issue was DE but they franchised their best DE And this will obviously upgrade/provide depth on the other side.

Seems like the Jaguars will return to sucking.

Yeah my first response was excitement as I love UM and the Ravens. My second question was whether Campbell was still good. Seems like he's still got gas in the tank. The Ravens biggest potential issue was DE but they franchised their best DE And this will obviously upgrade/provide depth on the other side.

Seems like the Jaguars will return to sucking.

Yes, he is still good. But he's very expensive right now and likely has a short shelf life.

The Jaguars are a mess, ya.

But they are at least doing the right thing...selling all of their expensive contracts. Yannick Ngakoue will fetch a solid haul (multiple picks), Nick Foles, Andrew Norwell will either be cut or traded for pennies...wouldn't shock me if Fournette gets moved, too.

Advertisement
He has a $15M guaranteed contract, man. $30M left over two years.

He's one of the highest paid defenders in the league...Jacksonville is lucky to have gotten anything at all. He likely would have been cut.

Utter nonsense. Trading a 5th for a good player on a fair market deal is a coup. 5th rounders are short term depth pieces if you're lucky. Trades don't count against the compensatory formula.

Trading late round picks for veterans was a staple of the Eagles' team-building strategy that netted them a title. It's one of the biggest market inefficiencies in the NFL. Bucs traded essentially a 3rd to get JPP and that was a steal. Good DL don't grow on trees and you don't wanna get them in free agency like the Lions overpaying that Flowers JAG.

Advertisement

Fantastic pickup by my Ravens, DeCosta learned well from Ozzie Newsome.

We had 9 picks coming into this draft & had just picked up two compensatory picks in the 3rd & 4th round giving us 2 3rd rounders & 3 4th round picks.

We essentially got Campbell for free & he address a big need for us at DE/Edge pass rush.

If the Jags are going to fire sale then why give their HC one more year knowing they are going to have even less talent? If you reboot then really do it.

Advertisement
Utter nonsense. Trading a 5th for a good player on a fair market deal is a coup. 5th rounders are short term depth pieces if you're lucky. Trades don't count against the compensatory formula.

Trading late round picks for veterans was a staple of the Eagles' team-building strategy that netted them a title. It's one of the biggest market inefficiencies in the NFL. Bucs traded essentially a 3rd to get JPP and that was a steal. Good DL don't grow on trees and you don't wanna get them in free agency like the Lions overpaying that Flowers JAG.

Jaguars got rid of $30M off their salary cap as a non-contender.

I never said it wasn't a good deal for the Ravens, but the top of the cap for the Jaguars are all on the move, either via trade or getting cut. Calais was one of those guys. You weren't getting much more to eat that contract.

I agree they got a 5th because that was the best they could get. Possibly the only bidder. Jags should be stockpiling as many picks as they can. Vets don't wanna play there after the Coughlin fiasco and with all the home games they give up to play in London. That team is gonna keep stinking for a while and people are gonna forget about the other bottom-barrel orgs like the Browns and Bucs.

I agree they got a 5th because that was the best they could get. Possibly the only bidder. Jags should be stockpiling as many picks as they can. Vets don't wanna play there after the Coughlin fiasco and with all the home games they give up to play in London. That team is gonna keep stinking for a while and people are gonna forget about the other bottom-barrel orgs like the Browns and Bucs.

Get a QB and it changes everything.

This team is going to have 4+ picks in the Top 75 and 4+ more next year in the Top 75.

Either use some to trade up and get Tua...or...lets get a little crazy and take Jalen Hurts with one of those Top 75 picks.

Some rumorz around the league saying Hurts and Love are in play at 19 for the Oakland. If Hurts is there at 20 for Jacksonville...lets get a little crazy. Or, if the Jaguars want to use 9 and 20 on defenders...trade up to 32 and get Hurts.

Jaguars are going to stink next year, but they can replenish a lot with the picks they have. Teams are always just a QB away and this team has a ton of firepower to get one.

The reality is, that defense from a few years ago had a very very short shelf life and they ran into Tom Brady. No shame in it.

The real tragedy for the Jaguars have been passing on countless good QBs, when they needed a QB, for some ill functioning, poor fits. Taking a Punter over Russell Wilson, taking backup DTs instead of Dak Prescott (the reality is, Jacksonville should have been taking potential developmental QBs at minimum for years, but passed passed passed. In the same draft, sitting tight and taking Jalen Ramsey - a great player, don't get me wrong, over trading picks and moving up for Carson Wentz. Taking Leonard Fournette (lol) over Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson. Taking Taven Bryan over Lamar Jackson.

And before you think this is fantasy football...they had pre-draft meetings at numerous events with all of those guys...they simply passed...and that is why the Jacksonville Jaguars are really where they are at.

They should risk it all and get whatever QB they can get in this draft. Going into the year with just Minshew is silly.

I think Oakland gets Winston on a cheap deal behind Carr, he starts most of their games this year and takes them to the playoffs.

Brady re-signs with the Pats.

Bucs pay Bridgewater triple what Winston gets to game manage the team to ~8 wins a year before everyone gets fired and it's back to the drawing board again. #ItsABucsLife

Advertisement
Back