Calais Campbell gives record 1.6 million to Canes!!!

I'm not going to rip the guy but he should have have held on to his money for at least another year. When these guys donate money for "scholarships" within the athletic department all they seemingly are doing is freeing up monies already allocated toward the program to either be diverted elsewhere or not spent at all. It's all one big shuffle. We're going to allocate funds for the cost of the max number of scholarship football players regardless of his donation. Now all that seems to have happened is he lowered that specific budget item. I really wish these guys would just pool their big donations into a block and then make some real demands.

Please fell free to correct me if I'm wrong about the finances here.

The way I thought athletic scholarships work at UM were that the school charges the athletic department the full tuition and cost. Those costs are expenses and deducted from the athletic department's budget.

Let's say one athletic scholarship (with everything) cost $50,000.00 per year. If this gift covered (just hypothetically) 4 defensive lineman each year, that would be a lower expense ($200,000.00) for the athletic department. The issue I have is where does the savings go?

Are we plugging that $200,000 back into the program (i.e. salaries) or is it going towards something stupid?

THIS

Does this basically free up $1.6M of money that would have originally been allocated to Athletics?

No, it frees up $1.6 million of the Athletic Department budget that would have originally been used for those scholarships, and can now be used for something else in the program.

So Calais just spent $1.6 mil on "something else"....which will be determined by morons at a future date. You're making a strong argument here, bud. Why even debate this? You have faith in the admin and Flake obviously and the rest of us understandably lost it and question anything they have power over- especially money.

Advertisement
I'm not going to rip the guy but he should have have held on to his money for at least another year. When these guys donate money for "scholarships" within the athletic department all they seemingly are doing is freeing up monies already allocated toward the program to either be diverted elsewhere or not spent at all. It's all one big shuffle. We're going to allocate funds for the cost of the max number of scholarship football players regardless of his donation. Now all that seems to have happened is he lowered that specific budget item. I really wish these guys would just pool their big donations into a block and then make some real demands.

Please fell free to correct me if I'm wrong about the finances here.

The way I thought athletic scholarships work at UM were that the school charges the athletic department the full tuition and cost. Those costs are expenses and deducted from the athletic department's budget.

Let's say one athletic scholarship (with everything) cost $50,000.00 per year. If this gift covered (just hypothetically) 4 defensive lineman each year, that would be a lower expense ($200,000.00) for the athletic department. The issue I have is where does the savings go?

Are we plugging that $200,000 back into the program (i.e. salaries) or is it going towards something stupid?

THIS

Does this basically free up $1.6M of money that would have originally been allocated to Athletics?

No, it frees up $1.6 million of the Athletic Department budget that would have originally been used for those scholarships, and can now be used for something else in the program.

Potato,

Did you read any of the posts above?

Keep slurping!

Yes, I did read it. Nothing but whining and immediate negative speculation by someone who has zero knowledge or insight into the situation. You could take any positive event and spin it into some negative crybaby bull****, which is all you do in every post you make.

So to recap some of the comments above: People on this board are griping that a full scholarship's value has been taken off of the Athletics Department's budget in perpetuity because... they aren't sure what the money that's being freed up will be used for? Is that right?

The way the endowment works is the $1.6 million is put into a pot. Off of its principal, assuming a 4% return (which is aggressive), that's an annual yield of $64,000, which after Pell Grants and other financial aid is enough to fund the tuition, room, and board of a scholarship football player, in this case a defensive lineman.

The reality is that the $1.6 million isn't put into an isolated fund, though; it's added to the existing Athletics Department (and football specifically) funds, and the entire team is managed off of that money.

So the effect is that the school now has, theoretically, $1.6 million to do whatever it wants with — either all at once, or over time. The reality is it doesn't really matter because the end result is the same: the Athletics Department in general, and the football team specifically, are better off today than they were yesterday. That should be something we can all be glad about.

Exactly....but that doesn't fit the narrative around here. It's too positive.

If two faqqots suck each other off in a port-o-potty does anyone care?

You are both wrong. Not just a little bit wrong either.

Go tell Calais he's wrong and a slurper..maybe even a "******" too. Gotta love big muscles men "sucking" each other.

Woah. Easy there stud.

THIS

Potato,

Keep slurping!

Yes, I did read it. Nothing but whining and immediate negative speculation by someone who has zero knowledge or insight into the situation. You could take any positive event and spin it into some negative crybaby bull****, which is all you do in every post you make.

No you didn't read it. How can you read it when Al is giving you arabian goggles?

I am glad you can "hard" about a 1.6M donation. I am glad that excites you because the program (to the majority of the alumni and fanbase) is in a self-imposed coma. Keep getting excited about uniforms or donations. The majority (the ones not wearing tinfoil) are concerned with the results and accountability.

Here, we're curious how the spend the savings from the donation. Why are we curious? Al Golden is still the coach. There seems to be plenty of money for a buyout.

Advertisement
So to recap some of the comments above: People on this board are griping that a full scholarship's value has been taken off of the Athletics Department's budget in perpetuity because... they aren't sure what the money that's being freed up will be used for? Is that right?

The way the endowment works is the $1.6 million is put into a pot. Off of its principal, assuming a 4% return (which is aggressive), that's an annual yield of $64,000, which after Pell Grants and other financial aid is enough to fund the tuition, room, and board of a scholarship football player, in this case a defensive lineman.

The reality is that the $1.6 million isn't put into an isolated fund, though; it's added to the existing Athletics Department (and football specifically) funds, and the entire team is managed off of that money.

So the effect is that the school now has, theoretically, $1.6 million to do whatever it wants with — either all at once, or over time. The reality is it doesn't really matter because the end result is the same: the Athletics Department in general, and the football team specifically, are better off today than they were yesterday. That should be something we can all be glad about.

Exactly....but that doesn't fit the narrative around here. It's too positive.

If two faqqots suck each other off in a port-o-potty does anyone care?

You are both wrong. Not just a little bit wrong either.

Go tell Calais he's wrong and a slurper..maybe even a "******" too. Gotta love big muscles men "sucking" each other.

Woah. Easy there stud.

Yeah, changing someone else's comments. Great, intelligent, mature response there. Very original too. Now run along, your special ed teacher is calling for you.

I sincerely hope he had enough intelligence to put a restriction on the donation to insure the University can only use it for football.

News flash people...the University of Miami is a NFP. Generally accepted accounting principles mandate that any donations given to the university with any set of "restrictions" or "conditions" must be segregated and used for said purpose.

This. I had that class last semester. If he put any condition on it, they are obligated to use it only for that condition.

Momentum 2 was a campaign to raise over a billion dollars but I don't know if any of it was for athletics. They had reached that amount in "pledged" donations. As the article points out they only have $106 million received.

but people said we had 1 billion to spend lol. thanks for clearing up a common misconception regarding the momentum campaign. 106 M actually received isn't much compared to the 1 billion

THIS

Potato,

Keep slurping!

No you didn't read it. How can you read it when Al is giving you arabian goggles?

I am glad you can "hard" about a 1.6M donation. I am glad that excites you because the program (to the majority of the alumni and fanbase) is in a self-imposed coma. Keep getting excited about uniforms or donations. The majority (the ones not wearing tinfoil) are concerned with the results and accountability.

Here, we're curious how the spend the savings from the donation. Why are we curious? Al Golden is still the coach. There seems to be plenty of money for a buyout.

No idea what "Arabian goggles" is, but then again knowing you it's probably something related to your obsessive fetish with male genitalia and what you like doing with them. Again, grow up and show you can discuss like an adult (are you even one? so far you haven't shown any indication of being one), and maybe someone will take you seriously.

This is a good thing for the program any way you cut it.

I don't see what the issue or argument here is. Yes, this will free up the cost of one scholarship per year that the AD does not have to pay the University for, thus freeing up the cost of one scholie per year from the AD budget. What UM does with that is up to them. Obviously they can be d*ckheads and re-allocate money that would have gone to the AD for something else. OR they could keep the budget constant for the AD, and now the AD has an extra 50-60K per year to do something else with. Maybe more money to offer some position coaches at some point, or more money for an extra staff member for the Hecht to focus on recruiting, or academic compliance for players, etc.

Frankly we don't know. But the reality is that this would have been a problem in almost any circumstance where money was given to the AD. Unless it was specifically earmarked for facilities upgrade/construction, it was almost certainly going to go towards offsetting AD costs borne by the University. The fact is that if UM is **** bent on ******** the AD on money, there is little ANYONE can do to stop them. Any donations to the AD, or the program, can theoretically be used to then cut the amount the University gives the AD.

All we can hope is that the school realizes that it needs to be investing in the success of the program, and uses this money wisely, and the extra money saved by this scholarship goes towards something positive, like a bigger offer to a good coach once Golden is gone, or used to increase the salary of assistant coaches, hopefully in order to entice a top notch assistant to come to UM and replace some of the dead weight on the staff now.

Bottom line is, THIS is how its done. EVERYWHERE. You pump money into the program, and you have to hope that the school has the commitment enough to use it wisely to improve the program, and not just use it as an excuse to re-allocate money away from the program to other things, thus keeping the budget static, and not improving anything.

Advertisement

Potato,

Keep slurping!

No idea what "Arabian goggles" is, but then again knowing you it's probably something related to your obsessive fetish with male genitalia and what you like doing with them. Again, grow up and show you can discuss like an adult (are you even one? so far you haven't shown any indication of being one), and maybe someone will take you seriously.

I am trying to discuss, you dismiss it because you're a potato who has no rational point.

One more time.

I sincerely hope he had enough intelligence to put a restriction on the donation to insure the University can only use it for football.

News flash people...the University of Miami is a NFP. Generally accepted accounting principles mandate that any donations given to the university with any set of "restrictions" or "conditions" must be segregated and used for said purpose.

This. I had that class last semester. If he put any condition on it, they are obligated to use it only for that condition.

Momentum 2 was a campaign to raise over a billion dollars but I don't know if any of it was for athletics. They had reached that amount in "pledged" donations. As the article points out they only have $106 million received.

but people said we had 1 billion to spend lol. thanks for clearing up a common misconception regarding the momentum campaign. 106 M actually received isn't much compared to the 1 billion

Shalala actually explained it to us. They have reached the goal in pledged donations, but it all hasn't come up. Some people pledge the amount in their estates or trusts, others upon a date or event occurring, etc. they have not received it all from what we have been told.

Potato,

Keep slurping!

I am trying to discuss, you dismiss it because you're a potato who has no rational point.

One more time.

As soon as some moron starts with the "slurping", "penises in your hand", "potato", and whatever other childish, brain dead garbage you keep putting forth, there is no "discussion", just an immature child slinging crap.

As others have pointed out, bottom line is that the donation is how all college programs work. The university can cut the budget of the athletic department and football team any time it likes anyway. You also have zero basis for saying they will do it to offset the donation. Again, just whining and speculation to suit your agenda.

The thing about this going to an endowed scholarship and not a designated facility upgrade is that this is basically just giving money to the school and not the athletic department. When a schools Athletic Department has to pay for 85 players' scholarships, they aren't really losing any money. It isn't a cost to the school.
So without this scholarship, they are basically letting one kid go here, and his athletic participation pays his tuition. But, with this scholarship, the university is actually getting the kids athletic participation and $60k. So really, this money isn't going toward the atlhletic department in the way any of us would like it to. When we get donations, we need them to be designated for specific facilities, or else it really has no impact on our football program.

Advertisement
This is a good thing for the program any way you cut it.

I don't see what the issue or argument here is. Yes, this will free up the cost of one scholarship per year that the AD does not have to pay the University for, thus freeing up the cost of one scholie per year from the AD budget. What UM does with that is up to them. Obviously they can be d*ckheads and re-allocate money that would have gone to the AD for something else. OR they could keep the budget constant for the AD, and now the AD has an extra 50-60K per year to do something else with. Maybe more money to offer some position coaches at some point, or more money for an extra staff member for the Hecht to focus on recruiting, or academic compliance for players, etc.

Frankly we don't know. But the reality is that this would have been a problem in almost any circumstance where money was given to the AD. Unless it was specifically earmarked for facilities upgrade/construction, it was almost certainly going to go towards offsetting AD costs borne by the University. The fact is that if UM is **** bent on ******** the AD on money, there is little ANYONE can do to stop them. Any donations to the AD, or the program, can theoretically be used to then cut the amount the University gives the AD.

All we can hope is that the school realizes that it needs to be investing in the success of the program, and uses this money wisely, and the extra money saved by this scholarship goes towards something positive, like a bigger offer to a good coach once Golden is gone, or used to increase the salary of assistant coaches, hopefully in order to entice a top notch assistant to come to UM and replace some of the dead weight on the staff now.

Bottom line is, THIS is how its done. EVERYWHERE. You pump money into the program, and you have to hope that the school has the commitment enough to use it wisely to improve the program, and not just use it as an excuse to re-allocate money away from the program to other things, thus keeping the budget static, and not improving anything.

Basically it would have just been better if this money went toward hiring that person you said, or was designated to go toward a specific facility upgrade. Because this gives the AD/School too much room to spend on whatever they want, which basically means it won't be football. This is why what Alonzo Highsmith is doing is really good, because he will be getting the money to make real changes for the football team, unlike this donation.
Not saying that this donation is bad or anything. I'm glad he donated that much. I just wish it was designated toward building a IPF or something that we NEED.

One more time.

As soon as some moron starts with the "slurping", "penises in your hand", "potato", and whatever other childish, brain dead garbage you keep putting forth, there is no "discussion", just an immature child slinging crap.

As others have pointed out, bottom line is that the donation is how all college programs work. The university can cut the budget of the athletic department and football team any time it likes anyway. You also have zero basis for saying they will do it to offset the donation. Again, just whining and speculation to suit your agenda.

You are a potato. This isn't news. You continue to support Al. How can anyone take you seriously when this is where your position begins?

The reason there is no response from you is because you're a potato. Facts are not on your side. Neither is there any track record of accountability. There is no proof our admin or BOT has a clue what they're doing. Explain how a coach who went 6-7 in his 4th season, 16-16 in the ACC and has a overall losing record is coaching. Explain how you can not question these things when there is no proof of anything other then mismanagement and waste.

Please let me know.

You agenda is blowing Al, I'm not trying to slap the ***** out of your hand either. I am just asking for you to answer the question.

One more time.

You are a potato. This isn't news. You continue to support Al. How can anyone take you seriously when this is where your position begins?

The reason there is no response from you is because you're a potato. Facts are not on your side. Neither is there any track record of accountability. There is no proof our admin or BOT has a clue what they're doing. Explain how a coach who went 6-7 in his 4th season, 16-16 in the ACC and has a overall losing record is coaching. Explain how you can not question these things when there is no proof of anything other then mismanagement and waste.

Please let me know.

You agenda is blowing Al, I'm not trying to slap the ***** out of your hand either. I am just asking for you to answer the question.

See ya. You can keep playing on the short bus and fantasizing about other men's penises and the things you want to do with them. You are now on ignore.

Advertisement

One more time.

Please let me know.

See ya. You can keep playing on the short bus and fantasizing about other men's penises and the things you want to do with them. You are now on ignore.

Keep blowing Al and ignoring the questions.

One more time.

Please let me know.

Not going to call you names, but seriously how can you or anyone else still support Al after 6-7 with the second most talented team according to CBS? Every player leaves and does better in the NFL. Chickillo in the senior bowl and his comments affirm this. How can you support Al? Do you support Al, or is this guy just saying this?

Thanks Calais! But I won't clap till that son of a ***** Alice Golden and his fake *** man friend are run the **** out of Florida!

Advertisement
Back