Calais Campbell gives record 1.6 million to Canes!!!

Sebastianspipe

Freshman
We are all in an uproar over what is going on with the program, some will reneew their seats, some will not, some will stop donating, some will not.

Calais though just ponied up 1.6 mill for the program. Good on him. Love when these guys with the means put their $ to work for the program.

Better days are ahead my friends!!! A new Prez is going to be the first step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Less than two months after receiving its largest donation from a former athlete, the University of Miami athletic department has received an even larger gift.

Arizona Cardinals defensive end Calais Campbell has given $1.6 million to the Hurricanes to establish an endowed scholarship for defensive linemen in perpetuity.

The school is expected to announce the gift late Wednesday morning.

"For me, it's a representation of just how much the school means to me," Calais Campbell said of his scholarship donation to Miami.
Campbell's donation topped the $1.5 million gift from former Hurricanes running back Ken Hunt in December. Miami will rename its defensive line room after Campbell, making him the sixth former Hurricane to have an area of the football offices named after him.

Campbell's donation, which he said was his first to Miami, helped the Hurricanes' athletic department surpass $106 million in its Momentum2 capital campaign.

The 28-year-old had been trying to figure out a way to help the Hurricanes and decided a scholarship was the best way to leave his mark. As a student at Miami, Campbell received an endowed scholarship, and he says he stays in contact with the donors, Robert and Connie McGee.

Campbell graduated in 2008 with a degree in advertising and marketing.

"I know how rare these jobs are," Campbell said of being an NFL player. "I want to make sure that every kid, especially at the University of Miami, understands the importance of having a good fall-back plan, something you would enjoy doing if the NFL doesn't work out for you.

"This is my way of showing it."

Campbell, who had seven sacks in 2014 while getting voted into his first Pro Bowl, was All-ACC in 2006, when he finished with 10.5 sacks, ranking ninth in Miami history.

Topping Hunt's contribution wasn't meant to turn donating into a competition, Campbell said.

Miami athletic director Blake James praised Campbell's focus on education.

"Calais is an incredible man and, along with his family, understands the importance of education and the impact a positive environment can have on a student-athlete," James said.

Campbell will join former Hurricanes Clinton Portis (football wing), Ed Reed (football operations office), Edgerrin James (meeting room), Jon Vilma (players' lounge) and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (locker room) in having rooms or areas named after them.

"It's kind of come full circle," Campbell said. "For me, it's a representation of just how much the school means to me and to be able to be a part of it."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...dinals-makes-record-donation-miami-hurricanes

I sincerely hope he had enough intelligence to put a restriction on the donation to insure the University can only use it for football.

News flash people...the University of Miami is a NFP. Generally accepted accounting principles mandate that any donations given to the university with any set of "restrictions" or "conditions" must be segregated and used for said purpose.

Advertisement
dhMeAzK.gif

is he really only 28? it seems like he's been in the league for 10 years.

Advertisement
I sincerely hope he had enough intelligence to put a restriction on the donation to insure the University can only use it for football.

News flash people...the University of Miami is a NFP. Generally accepted accounting principles mandate that any donations given to the university with any set of "restrictions" or "conditions" must be segregated and used for said purpose.

This. I had that class last semester. If he put any condition on it, they are obligated to use it only for that condition.

Momentum 2 was a campaign to raise over a billion dollars but I don't know if any of it was for athletics. They had reached that amount in "pledged" donations. As the article points out they only have $106 million received.

Guys he created an endowed scholarship. The money is just the right amount to pay for a college students tuition each yea, a total of four by the fourth year, and use the interest to replenish itself so the money never runs out. At least that is my understanding of what an endowed scholarship is. The university may use the money in other ways but Calais doesn't intend the money to be used for anything but tuition for a deserving dl.

It's an endowed football scholarship. Can't be used for anything else

Advertisement
forgive my ignorance, but does this mean the school has one less annual scholarship (of the 85) to pay for out of its own funds?

I'm not going to rip the guy but he should have have held on to his money for at least another year. When these guys donate money for "scholarships" within the athletic department all they seemingly are doing is freeing up monies already allocated toward the program to either be diverted elsewhere or not spent at all. It's all one big shuffle. We're going to allocate funds for the cost of the max number of scholarship football players regardless of his donation. Now all that seems to have happened is he lowered that specific budget item. I really wish these guys would just pool their big donations into a block and then make some real demands.

Please fell free to correct me if I'm wrong about the finances here.

I'm not going to rip the guy but he should have have held on to his money for at least another year. When these guys donate money for "scholarships" within the athletic department all they seemingly are doing is freeing up monies already allocated toward the program to either be diverted elsewhere or not spent at all. It's all one big shuffle. We're going to allocate funds for the cost of the max number of scholarship football players regardless of his donation. Now all that seems to have happened is he lowered that specific budget item. I really wish these guys would just pool their big donations into a block and then make some real demands.

Ya I was a little confused by the endowment fund for a scholarship for a DLineman as well. Given that they're already on scholarship, why is a scholarship needed? I wondered for a second if it could be used for a walk on, then realized there is no way that would be allowed or schools would artificially bring in way more football recruits.

Your analysis that the school just doesn't have to pay; or more properly since they don't pay themselves, the funds just end up going in to the main school revenue each year.

Advertisement

Ya I was a little confused by the endowment fund for a scholarship for a DLineman as well. Given that they're already on scholarship, why is a scholarship needed? I wondered for a second if it could be used for a walk on, then realized there is no way that would be allowed or schools would artificially bring in way more football recruits.

Your analysis that the school just doesn't have to pay; or more properly since they don't pay themselves, the funds just end up going in to the main school revenue each year.

Yeah and nobody from the All is Well Sunshine & Roses Eternal Optimist Club that are negging me has exactly offered an explanation or clarification. "Campbell gave money. That good. Me no ask any questions. That good. Money. Good. Questions. Bad. Go Canes."

The way I thought athletic scholarships work at UM were that the school charges the athletic department the full tuition and cost. Those costs are expenses and deducted from the athletic department's budget.

Let's say one athletic scholarship (with everything) cost $50,000.00 per year. If this gift covered (just hypothetically) 4 defensive lineman each year, that would be a lower expense ($200,000.00) for the athletic department. The issue I have is where does the savings go?

Are we plugging that $200,000 back into the program (i.e. salaries) or is it going towards something stupid?

Advertisement
Back