Calais Campbell gives record 1.6 million to Canes!!!

Advertisement
forgive my ignorance, but does this mean the school has one less annual scholarship (of the 85) to pay for out of its own funds?

Yes, the athletic department has one fewer scholarship to pay for out of its funds.

So Campbell's donation is technically just a vehicle to reallocate funds. Thanks for the insight. I'm back all in. I'm sure that money will be spent in a suuuuuuuper way elsewhere. Gooooooo Canes!

Last edited:
I'm not going to rip the guy but he should have have held on to his money for at least another year. When these guys donate money for "scholarships" within the athletic department all they seemingly are doing is freeing up monies already allocated toward the program to either be diverted elsewhere or not spent at all. It's all one big shuffle. We're going to allocate funds for the cost of the max number of scholarship football players regardless of his donation. Now all that seems to have happened is he lowered that specific budget item. I really wish these guys would just pool their big donations into a block and then make some real demands.

Please fell free to correct me if I'm wrong about the finances here.

So cute, all the down votes this post got even though it's 100% accurate.

Buncha fvckin shills round here these days pumping sunshine like DBJ.

Advertisement
I'm not going to rip the guy but he should have have held on to his money for at least another year. When these guys donate money for "scholarships" within the athletic department all they seemingly are doing is freeing up monies already allocated toward the program to either be diverted elsewhere or not spent at all. It's all one big shuffle. We're going to allocate funds for the cost of the max number of scholarship football players regardless of his donation. Now all that seems to have happened is he lowered that specific budget item. I really wish these guys would just pool their big donations into a block and then make some real demands.

So cute, all the down votes this post got even though it's 100% accurate.

Buncha fvckin shills round here these days pumping sunshine like DBJ.

Shows how much sand some of these deludinoids have stuck in their collective vaginas. My initial post wasn't even critical of anyone specific. Was just questioning how funds are allocated or not. My God! The mean undertones of your questions! How dare you?!

I sincerely hope he had enough intelligence to put a restriction on the donation to insure the University can only use it for football.

News flash people...the University of Miami is a NFP. Generally accepted accounting principles mandate that any donations given to the university with any set of "restrictions" or "conditions" must be segregated and used for said purpose.

This. I had that class last semester. If he put any condition on it, they are obligated to use it only for that condition.

Momentum 2 was a campaign to raise over a billion dollars but I don't know if any of it was for athletics. They had reached that amount in "pledged" donations. As the article points out they only have $106 million received.

It doesn't ******* matter. It's all a shell game. It won't increase the football budget one ******* dollar.

I sincerely hope he had enough intelligence to put a restriction on the donation to insure the University can only use it for football.

News flash people...the University of Miami is a NFP. Generally accepted accounting principles mandate that any donations given to the university with any set of "restrictions" or "conditions" must be segregated and used for said purpose.

This. I had that class last semester. If he put any condition on it, they are obligated to use it only for that condition.

Momentum 2 was a campaign to raise over a billion dollars but I don't know if any of it was for athletics. They had reached that amount in "pledged" donations. As the article points out they only have $106 million received.

It doesn't ******* matter. It's all a shell game. It won't increase the football budget one ******* dollar.

This is likely the scenario. They'll just lower what the athletic department is charged for the scholarship by that amount, and then increase the net target by the same amount so it doesn't impact anything.

Advertisement
forgive my ignorance, but does this mean the school has one less annual scholarship (of the 85) to pay for out of its own funds?

Yes, the athletic department has one fewer scholarship to pay for out of its funds.

So Campbell's donation is technically just a vehicle to reallocate funds. Thanks for the insight. I'm back all in. I'm sure that money will be spent in a suuuuuuuper way elsewhere. Gooooooo Canes!

Do whatever suits you. I'm sure you and others will now start calling Campbell a "slurper" and indicate that he's either a) too stupid to understand how by helping the team he's hurting the team (mope logic); or b) he doesn't care about the long-term future of the team....basically the two ridiculous attacks that keep getting thrown out when anybody disagrees with the scorched earth way of dealing with things.

So to recap some of the comments above: People on this board are griping that a full scholarship's value has been taken off of the Athletics Department's budget in perpetuity because... they aren't sure what the money that's being freed up will be used for? Is that right?

The way the endowment works is the $1.6 million is put into a pot. Off of its principal, assuming a 4% return (which is aggressive), that's an annual yield of $64,000, which after Pell Grants and other financial aid is enough to fund the tuition, room, and board of a scholarship football player, in this case a defensive lineman.

The reality is that the $1.6 million isn't put into an isolated fund, though; it's added to the existing Athletics Department (and football specifically) funds, and the entire team is managed off of that money.

So the effect is that the school now has, theoretically, $1.6 million to do whatever it wants with — either all at once, or over time. The reality is it doesn't really matter because the end result is the same: the Athletics Department in general, and the football team specifically, are better off today than they were yesterday. That should be something we can all be glad about.

So to recap some of the comments above: People on this board are griping that a full scholarship's value has been taken off of the Athletics Department's budget in perpetuity because... they aren't sure what the money that's being freed up will be used for? Is that right?

The way the endowment works is the $1.6 million is put into a pot. Off of its principal, assuming a 4% return (which is aggressive), that's an annual yield of $64,000, which after Pell Grants and other financial aid is enough to fund the tuition, room, and board of a scholarship football player, in this case a defensive lineman.

The reality is that the $1.6 million isn't put into an isolated fund, though; it's added to the existing Athletics Department (and football specifically) funds, and the entire team is managed off of that money.

So the effect is that the school now has, theoretically, $1.6 million to do whatever it wants with — either all at once, or over time. The reality is it doesn't really matter because the end result is the same: the Athletics Department in general, and the football team specifically, are better off today than they were yesterday. That should be something we can all be glad about.

Exactly....but that doesn't fit the narrative around here. It's too positive.

If two faqqots suck each other off in a port-o-potty does anyone care?

You are both wrong. Not just a little bit wrong either.

Advertisement

You see no potential issue with this, eh? You just blindly believe that this and other large donations along with the Adidas money will result in a net increase in millions per year spent on football? Or will we just get a football budget each year "adjuststed for growth" that Flake James and every administration apologist describe as "competitive"?

The way I thought athletic scholarships work at UM were that the school charges the athletic department the full tuition and cost. Those costs are expenses and deducted from the athletic department's budget.

Let's say one athletic scholarship (with everything) cost $50,000.00 per year. If this gift covered (just hypothetically) 4 defensive lineman each year, that would be a lower expense ($200,000.00) for the athletic department. The issue I have is where does the savings go?

Are we plugging that $200,000 back into the program (i.e. salaries) or is it going towards something stupid?

THIS

Does this basically free up $1.6M of money that would have originally been allocated to Athletics?

Advertisement

If two faqqots suck each other off in a port-o-potty does anyone care?

You are both wrong. Not just a little bit wrong either.

Go tell Calais he's wrong and a slurper..maybe even a "******" too. Gotta love a nobody with big internet muscles who's always obsessed with men "sucking" each other.

The way I thought athletic scholarships work at UM were that the school charges the athletic department the full tuition and cost. Those costs are expenses and deducted from the athletic department's budget.

Let's say one athletic scholarship (with everything) cost $50,000.00 per year. If this gift covered (just hypothetically) 4 defensive lineman each year, that would be a lower expense ($200,000.00) for the athletic department. The issue I have is where does the savings go?

Are we plugging that $200,000 back into the program (i.e. salaries) or is it going towards something stupid?

THIS

Does this basically free up $1.6M of money that would have originally been allocated to Athletics?

No, it frees up $1.6 million of the Athletic Department budget that would have originally been used for those scholarships, and can now be used for something else in the program.

THIS

No, it frees up $1.6 million of the Athletic Department budget that would have originally been used for those scholarships, and can now be used for something else in the program.

Potato,

Did you read any of the posts above?

Keep slurping!

THIS

We don't know. We only know that they're keeping a 6-7 coach.

Advertisement
Back