..but but CIS poRsters said Garcia is locked in with USC ...lol

Advertisement
At this point my main concern are these coaches. I was under the impression Miami wanted to go to a spread attack with more of an athletic QB at the helm but they wants this guy. Reminds me of Shannon and his confused antics during his tenure. Another thing... aren't both his co-dc's on the sideline? Miami's booth presense is weak as he'll and has been for quite some time.

Agree, his physical traits don't seem to be in line with our offensive philosophy. Then again, Lash is more of an RPO/air raid type rather than a read/zone type of guy.

Buechele (4,000 yds, 40 tds, 10 int) has excelled at SMU under Lashlee all while being a pro style QB. Garcia has a better arm and I think he's more athletic.

Agree with all except the athleticism part. Need to see more from Garcia in that area. As just one example, Buechele was a 4.31 shuttle and Garcia was 4.9. Maybe he slipped, but he’s not overly twitchy on tape and doesn’t seem to play other sports at high level.

I’m ready to buy in otherwise.

Advertisement
What sucks is that we won’t see van dyke all year cause I doubt we blow anyone out enough to see the third stringer. With an all ACC schedule. I see maybe wake as a possibility? But they’re not horrible. Just a bummer
Wakes offensive philosophy will keep the D busy. Hope we do see some TVD but u may be right man.

Agree with all except the athleticism part. Need to see more from Garcia in that area. As just one example, Buechele was a 4.31 shuttle and Garcia was 4.9. Maybe he slipped, but he’s not overly twitchy on tape and doesn’t seem to play other sports at high level.

Need to get him into ballet classes, running hurdles on the track team, anything that works on his flexibility, agility, and becoming more efficient while running. We can't turn him into Usain Bolt, but we could knock a few tenths off those times with the right kind of training.

We need a QB who can play in 2021. Why on earth would King come back for another year? He will be a fully-read book by the end of this season. He's either going to make it or not as a QB in the NFL based on this year. I suppose you could convince me that if the NFL tells him he's going undrafted, he might come back as a WR to show cause at that position. But it's a 1% chance either way.

So we need our 2021 starter. Everyone is hoping it's TVD. But the team should never count on him being ready. You want competition at your most important position. And Perry, Tate and Matocha are not starting material. There's no competition there. We need a transfer. No other option.
Whether we go after (Garcia or someone else), it's not for 2021. I'd have more confidence in a redshirt freshman who's been in the program for a year and a half or a graduate transfer, than a true freshman. We've been that route before and it wasn't pretty.

Advertisement
We need to add a QB whether it's Garcia, another HS QB or portal transfer. We are fooling ourselves if we are going to buy this Perry revival, King returning and/or Martell getting his head from out of his ***. Move on and roll with TVD, plus one more QB. You have Matocha for scout team.

And yes, a QB should be recruited and signed every year.

We need depth and missed on our other targets.

I don't know what our QB board looks like but we're acting as if there's a big drop off between Garcia and everyone else that's available.

Literally, there is a big drop-off.

Please feel free to list all the uncommitted QBs and/or any committed QBs that have reciprocated interest in UM (hint, there's only 1 name on that list).

In a prior thread, I listed all the uncommitted QBs, and that list has probably gotten smaller. It is not impressive.

Again, if we just stop recruiting Garcia, then we will go radio silent for 3 months and have to hope that (a) some school with a good committed QB fires its head coach and/or (b) some great QB becomes available on the transfer market, preferably grad-transfer for immediate playing time.

That shuttle is a bit alarming.

Advertisement
Per 247 QB rankings

Pro-style:

Jake Garcia is a 4-star and is ranked #4 among pro-style QBs. The first uncommitted pro-style QB is a 3-star and is ranked #33. Then #35. Then #43, #47, #48. Then #54, #57 (Ron Powlus III), and #58. #63 and #69. That's it for 3-star and above.

Dual-threat:

The first uncommitted dual-threat QB is a 3-star and is ranked #18 (Braylon Braxton, and some have discussed him). Then #36. Then #43, #46, and #49. Then #51, #59, and #62. That's it for 3-star and above.

That means that there are ZERO uncommitted 4-star and 5-star QBs at this time. Period. All "available" QBs are 3-star. The highest-rated guy is a #18 ranked dual-threat, and then you dip to the 30s through the 60s.

Again, Garcia (though committed) has expressed interest in UM. No other CURRENTLY-COMMITTED QB has done that.

Choices:

1. Garcia.
2. Uncommitted 3-stars.
3. Hope for December coaching carousel decommits.
4. Grad-transfer.
5. Transfer.

Per Rivals:

Garcia (4-star) is the #4 ranked Pro-style QB. Ron Powlus III is #24 ranked and uncommitted. All other Top 30 pro-style QBs are committed. PS, the #20 pro-style QB (committed to Wake Forest) is a UM legacy who we have not offered...

Dual-threat, the #19 ranked QB is uncommitted (Marcus Morgan). All other Top 25 dual-threat QBs are committed. PS, the #14 dual-threat QB (committed to Ball State) is a UM QB legacy who we have not offered...

Just because a QB is a 3-star doesn't mean they're not good.

The NFL & college football is littered with 3-star QB's who have excelled & been highly productive, including USC's current starter QB Kedon Slovis who beat out the 5-star QB who was the incumbent starter ahead of him.

The last 2 NFL MVP's were 3-star QB's in High school.

- Anthony Gordon threw for 5,579yds 48TD's & 16INT's last year, he was an unraked 0-star QB who went JUCO before Wash St.
- Cole McDonald threw for 4,135yds 33TD's 14INT's, he was a 2-star 79 coming out of HS
- Josh Love threw for 3,923yds 22TD's & 8INT's, he was a low rated 80 3-star coming out of HS
- Trey Lance threw for 2,786yds 28TD's 0INT's & rushed for 1,100yds 14TD's, he was a low rated 81 3-star coming out of HS
- Stephen "Buck" Calvert threw for 3,663yds 28TD's & 7INT's, he was a low rated 80 3-star coming out of HS
- Dillon Gabriel threw for 3,653yds 29TD's & 7INT's as a TF, he was 3-star coming out of HS
- Brock Purdy threw for 3,982yds 27TD's & 9INT's as a Red Frosh, he was an 85 3-star coming out of HS

Point being, just because you're a 3-star QB doesn't disqualify you from being able to be a good & highly productive QB & just because a QB is a high rated 5/4-star doesn't automatically mean they're going to be either.

Stars are irrelevant when it comes to QB, system & development matters more.

Garcia may turn out to be a great QB, but everyone doesn't have to be in love with him just because of his ranking.

Advertisement

The NFL & college football is littered with 3-star QB's who have excelled & been highly productive, including USC's current starter QB Kedon Slovis who beat out the 5-star QB who was the incumbent starter ahead of him.

- Anthony Gordon threw for 5,579yds 48TD's & 16INT's last year, he was an unraked 0-star QB who went JUCO before Wash St.
- Cole McDonald threw for 4,135yds 33TD's 14INT's, he was a 2-star 79 coming out of HS
- Josh Love threw for 3,923yds 22TD's & 8INT's, he was a low rated 80 3-star coming out of HS
- Trey Lance threw for 2,786yds 28TD's 0INT's & rushed for 1,100yds 14TD's, he was a low rated 81 3-star coming out of HS
- Stephen "Buck" Calvert threw for 3,663yds 28TD's & 7INT's, he was a low rated 80 3-star coming out of HS
- Dillon Gabriel threw for 3,653yds 29TD's & 7INT's as a TF, he was 3-star coming out of HS
- Brock Purdy threw for 3,982yds 27TD's & 9INT's as a Red Frosh, he was an 85 3-star coming out of HS

Point being, just because you're a 3-star QB doesn't disqualify you from being able to be a good & highly productive QB & just because a QB is a high rated 5/4-star doesn't automatically mean they're going to be either.

Garcia may turn out to be a great QB, but everyone doesn't have to be in love with him just because of his ranking.

to add on to that, what has happened to our highly ranked 4 star QBs that have enrolled here. system matters way more in college

Jake Garcia's father quoted on 247:

"Jake's committed to SC and he's loyal to SC," Randy said to ESPN.. "But things can change there, too. There's too many moving parts ... You've just got to keep your options open and he is, with the commitment still to SC."

Probst Valdosta coach:

"What do you think? I mean, I think that was part of the move too, somewhat," Propst said of Garcia being in ACC and SEC territory. "Without naming schools, I can name three that are going to be heavily involved, if not four heavily involved in trying to convince him to change his commitment. And they're all pretty close to here. So maybe five, maybe five schools right now that I know are wearing me out, calling me. They'll come when they can come."

UM and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee are known to be heavily involved. The staff was aware of the move by Garcia prior to the news being publicized
Does anyone know if Lashlee had any kind of relationship with Probst while he was at Auburn?

I didn't say they are "good" or "not good".

There was a poster who asked if there was a "big drop off" between Garcia and other recruits, and I provided the rankings.

YES, we all know that some 3-stars become college and/or NFL stars. But we only really know that story after the fact. You can give me a dozen names of 3-star QBs who excelled, while I can give you hundreds of names of 3-star QBs who never amounted to much.

Again, this is like what happens when people go back 20 years and ask why we didn't offer some 3-star WR who starred in the NFL, and then you have to point out that we took 4 kids who had higher rankings instead.

I have never said NOT to recruit a 3-star QB, but you have some people on this board who are already slagging Matocha after being at UM for a year. People can't have it both ways.

Stars are NOT "irrelevant". Stars may not be the controlling factor, but talent matters. The higher the star-ranking, the higher probability that the player pans out (and that is a statistical correlation that has been proven out over 20 years). YES, things like development are important too.

Nobody said that anyone has to "be in love" with Garcia. But lots of people have observed him. He is the 4th highest rated pro-style QB. He is a take for USC. So for the porsters who act like he is some sort of garbage recruit, that is just nuts.

Yes, Miami may be a little over-reliant on recruiting Garcia right now, but it is the perfect storm of UM's need, Covid-19, all the QBs committing, the lack of highly ranked uncommitted QBs, and very little traction for flipping (at least at this time). Maybe something will change in 3 months, but for right now, Garcia is the only realistic option that we seem to be ready to take.

We can all debate who we "should have" offered, or "should have" recruited earlier, or whatever. I also pointed out that we didn't even bother to offer TWO Miami legacies (and I'm not saying they would have come, only that it would be easy to strike up a conversation).

For now...there is Garcia...and then a big drop-off. That's accurate, no matter how many times we debate talent identification, development, or fit.

Advertisement
Back