..but but CIS poRsters said Garcia is locked in with USC ...lol

Literally, there is a big drop-off.

Please feel free to list all the uncommitted QBs and/or any committed QBs that have reciprocated interest in UM (hint, there's only 1 name on that list).

In a prior thread, I listed all the uncommitted QBs, and that list has probably gotten smaller. It is not impressive.

Again, if we just stop recruiting Garcia, then we will go radio silent for 3 months and have to hope that (a) some school with a good committed QB fires its head coach and/or (b) some great QB becomes available on the transfer market, preferably grad-transfer for immediate playing time.
I'm with you. I'm just subtly stating the obvious. I know no more than has been already rehashed on yours and one of LCE's threads.

Advertisement
Just because a QB is a 3-star doesn't mean they're not good.

The NFL & college football is littered with 3-star QB's who have excelled & been highly productive, including USC's current starter QB Kedon Slovis who beat out the 5-star QB who was the incumbent starter ahead of him.

The last 2 NFL MVP's were 3-star QB's in High school.

- Anthony Gordon threw for 5,579yds 48TD's & 16INT's last year, he was an unraked 0-star QB who went JUCO before Wash St.
- Cole McDonald threw for 4,135yds 33TD's 14INT's, he was a 2-star 79 coming out of HS
- Josh Love threw for 3,923yds 22TD's & 8INT's, he was a low rated 80 3-star coming out of HS
- Trey Lance threw for 2,786yds 28TD's 0INT's & rushed for 1,100yds 14TD's, he was a low rated 81 3-star coming out of HS
- Stephen "Buck" Calvert threw for 3,663yds 28TD's & 7INT's, he was a low rated 80 3-star coming out of HS
- Dillon Gabriel threw for 3,653yds 29TD's & 7INT's as a TF, he was 3-star coming out of HS
- Brock Purdy threw for 3,982yds 27TD's & 9INT's as a Red Frosh, he was an 85 3-star coming out of HS

Point being, just because you're a 3-star QB doesn't disqualify you from being able to be a good & highly productive QB & just because a QB is a high rated 5/4-star doesn't automatically mean they're going to be either.

Stars are irrelevant when it comes to QB, system & development matters more.

Garcia may turn out to be a great QB, but everyone doesn't have to be in love with him just because of his ranking.
Couldn't agree more.

The one thing I would add (as far as recruiting) is evaluation. The ones that stand out from the crowd have measurables and get the stars; however, the ones that develop beyond their ratings are usually those with intangibles. There's a large pool of those guys coming out that are 3-stars or less. What's critical is identifying the traits to be successful in the system you're using and identifying them in that large pool.

We don't have a history with Lashlee's evaluations yet so we're drawing assumptions based on what it appears he's doing.

Last edited:
I honestly don't believe Miami is really in the race, I think Lashlee is pushing hard, but I don't really think he wants to come here, that's just my opinion though.

I think he'll either stick with USC or flip to Ole Miss because they don't have a QB in their class, Kiffin & Jeff Lebby are good QB developers/recruiters, plus their system fits him better.
100%

Advertisement
I'm with you. I'm just subtly stating the obvious. I know no more than has been already rehashed on yours and one of LCE's threads.

OK, no problem. Sometimes these threads slip past Page 1, and everyone forgets about stuff.

I think I'm just stuck in a frustration-cycle right now with a certain type of porster, the guy who slags Matocha/Garcia when we have, literally, no other options on the table right now. And a couple of certifiable lunatics (Perry, Martell) on the roster.

I’ll put it to you like this. If he played in Texas I’m not sure what he would be ranked.. but I know about 6 or 7 Texas QB’s I would take before him one of which is a 3 star.

We've had a couple of good Cali QBs. Just sayin'...

Honestly more I think about it the less I like the idea of getting Garcia. This just doesn't seem like a situation that is going to work out. Kid repeated 8th grade to develop better entering HS. Hes transfered 4 times. His mom and dad got a ******* divorce and his dad moved to Georgia for him to play this year.

If he comes here and TVD is named the started he's a guaranteed transfer. If Nkosi is named the started he could stay, but Idk man.. I'd bet his dad is hella controlling and he definitely has gone to a lot of camps which definitely bumps his ranking. Doubt he's actually the 4th best qb in this class.

Rather just get another CB.

Honestly more I think about it the less I like the idea of getting Garcia. This just doesn't seem like a situation that is going to work out. Kid repeated 8th grade to develop better entering HS. Hes transfered 4 times. His mom and dad got a ******* divorce and his dad moved to Georgia for him to play this year.

If he comes here and TVD is named the started he's a guaranteed transfer. If Nkosi is named the started he could stay, but Idk man.. I'd bet his dad is hella controlling and he definitely has gone to a lot of camps which definitely bumps his ranking. Doubt he's actually the 4th best qb in this class.

Rather just get another CB.
F him then....TVD ain't laying down for no one....Like some Messiah were coming...Lol,...Let people keep sleeping on TVD if they want...

Advertisement
Agree with all except the athleticism part. Need to see more from Garcia in that area. As just one example, Buechele was a 4.31 shuttle and Garcia was 4.9. Maybe he slipped, but he’s not overly twitchy on tape and doesn’t seem to play other sports at high level.

I’m ready to buy in otherwise.
Good point on the shuttle time. I think accuracy, good decision making and a lively arm can make up for some of his deficiencies.

if signing day was tomorrow, he would sign with Miami. That is a fact. Y'all can disagree all y'all want.

As most have discussed with the issues with the season etc. several things have to play out.

* Lashlee is a fan of Garcia - that is a fact, he is a take but doesn't have the green light
* Lashlee has always stayed in touch with him. Contact has not dropped off.

We have several elephants in the room that have been discussed on this board that are obvious:

* Does King come back? If so, we ain't taking a qb
* Can Lashlee get the dual threat qb he really wants?
* Thoughts are that with a "free" season this year, there will be a tremendous amount of portal QB's available after the season

if signing day was tomorrow, he would sign with Miami. That is a fact. Y'all can disagree all y'all want.

As most have discussed with the issues with the season etc. several things have to play out.

* Lashlee is a fan of Garcia - that is a fact, he is a take but doesn't have the green light
* Lashlee has always stayed in touch with him. Contact has not dropped off.

We have several elephants in the room that have been discussed on this board that are obvious:

* Does King come back? If so, we ain't taking a qb
* Can Lashlee get the dual threat qb he really wants?
* Thoughts are that with a "free" season this year, there will be a tremendous amount of portal QB's available after the season

That last bullet point is the key to everything.

I’d love to get a QB this class but we have TVD and I still say if King wants or is able to play another year here he stays so I’m all for using that spot on a CB,OL or LBer instead of reaching for someone...Jmho

Advertisement
I’d love to get a QB this class but we have TVD and I still say if King wants or is able to play another year here he stays so I’m all for using that spot on a CB,OL or LBer instead of reaching for someone...Jmho
No reaches, regardless the position.

So to be clear, you are anti-reacharound?
Yep
cantreach.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hopefully king has a big year and we make another run at Davis or a qb with his skill set then add a transfer.

I’ve never been big on Garcia in this system , dude isn’t a good athlete.

I think if he really wanted in he would have made the move to us already. I’d keep pushing but I don’t feel solid about him being a Hurricane. We shall SEC

Advertisement
Back