Burns Decommits

Yes, he could play football after 2 years on a track scholarship without the scholarship converting to football.

u got a source for that?

No, I'm just making it up. Either that, or it's an NCAA rule, smart guy.

"after two years, a school can give an athletic scholarship to a walk-on without counting the scholarship against the limit of 25 initial counters, and instead count the scholarship against only the limit of 85 overall counters."

idk why you're being a ****ing **** when I was literally just asking you just for your source on making that statement....which you still didn't provide. You gave a quote. Link me the **** article/rule from the NCAA so I can ****ing read it.

If you can't provide the proof why the **** should any of us believe you when pretty much everyone here knows of the rule that if you're recruited (ov/get official scholarship offer) in football, then even joining the football team transfers the scholarship... But if you aren't recruited the scholarship doesn't transfer until you play in a game.

i've never heard this 2 yr rule you're talking about which is why I want a link to the article so i can read it.

I suggest posters go read the entire rule 15.5.6.3 at http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation.

Ethnicsands has it right above.

But yeah Ethnicsands and I said the same thing: if you don't get recruited=OV, Coach Visit, official scholarship offer - then you only get counted as football scholly when you play in a game. If you have been recruited at all then join the football team you're counted that first practice against the initial 25 counter and 85 counter.

Only thing we didn't know was that if you start on a track scholarship, then after 2 yrs at the school play football, the scholarship applies to the 85 limit not the 25 per class limit.

Either way TheOriginalCane is wrong

Advertisement
u got a source for that?

"after two years, a school can give an athletic scholarship to a walk-on without counting the scholarship against the limit of 25 initial counters, and instead count the scholarship against only the limit of 85 overall counters."

idk why you're being a ****ing **** when I was literally just asking you just for your source on making that statement....which you still didn't provide. You gave a quote. Link me the **** article/rule from the NCAA so I can ****ing read it.

If you can't provide the proof why the **** should any of us believe you when pretty much everyone here knows of the rule that if you're recruited (ov/get official scholarship offer) in football, then even joining the football team transfers the scholarship... But if you aren't recruited the scholarship doesn't transfer until you play in a game.

i've never heard this 2 yr rule you're talking about which is why I want a link to the article so i can read it.

I suggest posters go read the entire rule 15.5.6.3 at http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation.

But yeah Ethnicsands and I said the same thing: if you don't get recruited=OV, Coach Visit, official scholarship offer - then you only get counted as football scholly when you play in a game. If you have been recruited at all then join the football team you're counted that first practice against the initial 25 counter and 85 counter.

Only thing we didn't know was that if you start on a track scholarship, then after 2 yrs at the school play football, the scholarship applies to the 85 limit not the 25 per class limit.

That's not quite right. 15.5.6.3.6 only applies if you haven't received financial aid before. I think Javon Nanton practiced 2 years and was then awarded financial aid the first time starting with his junior year. Thus, he counted against the 85 but not the 25. On the other hand, Jimmy Graham was receiving financial aid from basketball for 4 years before joining the football team, so 15.5.6.3.6 did not apply. Graham counted against both the 85 and the 25. If Burns comes in on track scholarship, 15.5.6.3.6 won't apply to him either.

That's not quite right. 15.5.6.3.6 only applies if you haven't received financial aid before. I think Javon Nanton practiced 2 years and was then awarded financial aid the first time starting with his junior year. Thus, he counted against the 85 but not the 25. On the other hand, Jimmy Graham was receiving financial aid from basketball for 4 years before joining the football team, so 15.5.6.3.6 did not apply. Graham counted against both the 85 and the 25. If Burns comes in on track scholarship, 15.5.6.3.6 won't apply to him either.

Exactly.

We have no idea whether Burns will be on a track scholarship. A FULLY-FUNDED track team has 12.6 scholarships, and track is an equivalency sport, like baseball (i.e., you can award partial scholarships).

I do not know if Track is (currently) fully funded. When I was at UM, it was not, and I knew several people on the track team who were NOT on scholarship, they had academic scholarships. This is why UM track has always tried to get football players to run track, because we simply do not have enough scholarship track athletes to be a very good program across the board (great individuals, but not a great team).

The rules are tricky, and I will trust UM to apply them correctly. It is always weird when a kid with an equivalency PARTIAL scholarship begins to play a FULL scholarship sport (football, basketball). It didn't matter when Jimmy Graham did it, as he had a full-ride either way, and he had already played 4 years of hoops before ever walking on to the football team. Yes, he counted against the 85, NO he was not an "initial counter" against the football numbers. Which is the same rule for any upperclassman walk-on who receives a scholarship for football.

As I said from the beginning, 85 is the easy rule to meet, we are frequently under 85 scholarship players (though not usually as low as we are now). It is the 25 IC rule that is the tough one.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, little Burns is a Cane. That's what matters, and it's great that he is playing for the Orange and Green (black on certain Saturday nights). Good for him! Hope he wins nationals and an Olympic medal. ... And selfishly, I want Artie close to the program.

At the end of the day, little Burns is a Cane. That's what matters, and it's great that he is playing for the Orange and Green (black on certain Saturday nights). Good for him! Hope he wins nationals and an Olympic medal. ... And selfishly, I want Artie close to the program.

All true.

I have always hoped that Artie would help his brother get into UM and cover whatever costs are not picked up by track. Also, keep in mind that if his brother is good enough to merit Olympics consideration, USA Sports can also cover the costs. When I was at UM for my MBA/JD in the early 1990s, I shared an apartment with a UM diver who was in consideration for the Olympics (not too hard to figure out who I'm talking about), and he got a monthly stipend from the US Olympic program in addition to what he received from UM.

Outside of football/basketball, it is very interesting how the other student-athletes put together the total cost of attending college.

Advertisement

Exactly.

We have no idea whether Burns will be on a track scholarship. A FULLY-FUNDED track team has 12.6 scholarships, and track is an equivalency sport, like baseball (i.e., you can award partial scholarships).

I do not know if Track is (currently) fully funded. When I was at UM, it was not, and I knew several people on the track team who were NOT on scholarship, they had academic scholarships. This is why UM track has always tried to get football players to run track, because we simply do not have enough scholarship track athletes to be a very good program across the board (great individuals, but not a great team).

The rules are tricky, and I will trust UM to apply them correctly. It is always weird when a kid with an equivalency PARTIAL scholarship begins to play a FULL scholarship sport (football, basketball). It didn't matter when Jimmy Graham did it, as he had a full-ride either way, and he had already played 4 years of hoops before ever walking on to the football team. Yes, he counted against the 85, NO he was not an "initial counter" against the football numbers. Which is the same rule for any upperclassman walk-on who receives a scholarship for football.

As I said from the beginning, 85 is the easy rule to meet, we are frequently under 85 scholarship players (though not usually as low as we are now). It is the 25 IC rule that is the tough one.

bruh. You were wrong.

you said you can play track 2 yrs then join football team without scholarship transfering to football.

thats clearly wrong.

This isn't that hard. If a kid is on any athletic scholarship and plays in a FB game, he counts towards the 85. If he's on a (non-fb) scholarship, was recruited by football, and practices with the fb team, he counts towards the 85.

The confusion here seems to be between the 85 limit and the 25 initial counter limit. Whether a kid is an initial counter in FB, I'm honestly not sure how this sews together on that topic (i.e., if a kid was on track for 2 years then converted over to FB, is he an initial counter in FB?).
But in any case, this is all irrelevant to Burns. Because we are not going to take so many kids that our initial counter space is used up. Early entries will count back because we had last year's early entries count back, so there's plenty of space for new initial counters. The real limit on this class will be prudential, because the more kids we take this year, the tighter '19 will be for spots.

Graham did count against the 25 limit. Just to be sure, I made up a phony name and school and sent the data (basketball for 4 years and then 1 year of football) to a friend of mine who is head of compliance for a div 1 school and the result was the player would count against both the 85 and 25 limits just like I thought.

15.5.10 Changes in Participation. If a student-athlete changes sports during an academic year, the student-athlete’s financial aid shall be counted in the maximum limitations for the first sport for the remainder of the academic year. If the student-athlete continues to receive financial aid, the award shall be counted the next academic year against the maximum limitations in the second sport. A student-athlete shall be counted as an initial counter in football during the year in which the student-athlete first becomes countable in that sport, regardless of whether countable financial aid was received previously for another sport. (Revised: 4/3/02)

Advertisement
Back