Burns Decommits

Could he walk on to football?

Yes, he could play football after 2 years on a track scholarship without the scholarship converting to football.

u got a source for that?

No, I'm just making it up. Either that, or it's an NCAA rule, smart guy.

"after two years, a school can give an athletic scholarship to a walk-on without counting the scholarship against the limit of 25 initial counters, and instead count the scholarship against only the limit of 85 overall counters."
A kid on a track scholarship is not a walk on, I don't believe. As soon as he plays football, his scholarship counts over to fb.

Advertisement

Yes, he could play football after 2 years on a track scholarship without the scholarship converting to football.

u got a source for that?

"after two years, a school can give an athletic scholarship to a walk-on without counting the scholarship against the limit of 25 initial counters, and instead count the scholarship against only the limit of 85 overall counters."
A kid on a track scholarship is not a walk on, I don't believe. As soon as he plays football, his scholarship counts over to fb.

Yes, a kid on a track scholarship can be considered a walk-on.

The issue is whether he is RECRUITED, and that is the only area where we might have to walk a fine line.

Burns was, at one point, a football verbal. But he was also the younger brother of a player, and he never went through any of the formal recruiting processes (i.e., official visits, coach contact, home visits, etc.). Finally, Burns has publicly announced that he is pursuing track.

So you have interesting questions. The kid who is transferring in from USF signed a FOOTBALL LoI with USF, but a Track LoI with UM. Would HE be considered a "football recruit" if he chooses to go out for football in a few years? UM never recruited him.

What about that kid who was offered a USC football scholarship in middle school? Is he permanently a football recruit who could never play football if he excels in something besides football?

Sam Darnold's grandfather was a champion volleyball player at USC, and that was Darnold's specialty before he started playing football. Darnold sent USC his football videos, since USC wasn't actively recruiting him for football. Fortunately, a scholarship opened up when someone left USC early.

Jimmy Graham was a football walk-on. He was never recruited for football at UM, though he had previously played that sport in HS.

I could go on, but I am confident that the Athletic Department will build a solid case if any track guys ever want to come out for football (as that other kid was considering earlier in the year).

Again, the issue is whether the scholarship that is ALREADY AWARDED will convert over to football. And just because a kid has a track scholarship does not mean that he CAN'T walk on to any other sport he chooses. The issue is whether the track scholarship converts to another sport for purposes of the IC rules and the overall cap on scholarships.

Last edited:

u got a source for that?

The issue is whether he is RECRUITED, and that is the only area where we might have to walk a fine line.

Burns was, at one point, a football verbal. But he was also the younger brother of a player, and he never went through any of the formal recruiting processes (i.e., official visits, coach contact, home visits, etc.). Finally, Burns has publicly announced that he is pursuing track.

So you have interesting questions. The kid who is transferring in from USF signed a FOOTBALL LoI with USF, but a Track LoI with UM. Would HE be considered a "football recruit" if he chooses to go out for football in a few years? UM never recruited him.

What about that kid who was offered a USC football scholarship in middle school? Is he permanently a football recruit who could never play football if he excels in something besides football?

Sam Darnold's grandfather was a champion volleyball player at USC, and that was Darnold's specialty before he started playing football. Darnold sent USC his football videos, since USC wasn't actively recruiting him for football. Fortunately, a scholarship opened up when someone left USC early.

Jimmy Graham was a football walk-on. He was never recruited for football at UM, though he had previously played that sport in HS.

I could go on, but I am confident that the Athletic Department will build a solid case if any track guys ever want to come out for football (as that other kid was considering earlier in the year).

Again, the issue is whether the scholarship that is ALREADY AWARDED will convert over to football. And just because a kid has a track scholarship does not mean that he CAN'T walk on to any other sport he chooses. The issue is whether the track scholarship converts to another sport for purposes of the IC rules and the overall cap on scholarships.

So much conviction for someone who has no idea what they’re talking about.

Advertisement
Pretty sure there's a very specific rule on track scholarships and how they convert to football scholarships if the track athlete participates in football. That rule was established to stop programs from circumventing the 25/85 football scholarship rules by using track scholarships on football players. I haven't looked at the rule in some time and don't feel like looking it up.

I could be wrong but I thought it turns into a football scholarship only if he sees game action

Advertisement
u got a source for that?

So much conviction for someone who has no idea what they’re talking about.

You are full of crap.

A scholarship athlete in one sport ABSOLUTELY can walk onto another sport. That is an absolute fact.

However, the NCAA rules attempt to address the Santana Moss situation, where we put him on a track scholarship even though he was a football recruit and immediately played football.

Pretty sure there's a very specific rule on track scholarships and how they convert to football scholarships if the track athlete participates in football. That rule was established to stop programs from circumventing the 25/85 football scholarship rules by using track scholarships on football players. I haven't looked at the rule in some time and don't feel like looking it up.

Yep. And unlike the dimwits above, you know that there actually is a rule.

The main issue is the IC rule, as you don't want to have 25 initial counters in one year, and then suddenly be prevented from using an upperclassman track athlete. Usually, the 85 limit is not as much of a problem.

He may very well play some football down the line, but his future is track. Glad to have him back.

I believe it works as follows:

If the kid was recruited by the football program, he counts towards football as soon as he practices, whether or not he plays. (Santana moss rule.)

A track kid who was not recruited by the football team who then walks onto the football team counts towards football if he competes, but not just because he practices.

I suppose it's fact specific with Burns. If he was at all recruited by football, he cannot walk on without counting as a scholarship.

Advertisement

u got a source for that?

idk why you're being a ******* **** when I was literally just asking you just for your source on making that statement....which you still didn't provide. You gave a quote. Link me the **** article/rule from the NCAA so I can ******* read it.

If you can't provide the proof why the **** should any of us believe you when pretty much everyone here knows of the rule that if you're recruited (ov/get official scholarship offer) in football, then even joining the football team transfers the scholarship... But if you aren't recruited the scholarship doesn't transfer until you play in a game.

i've never heard this 2 yr rule you're talking about which is why I want a link to the article so i can read it.

u got a source for that?

idk why you're being a ****ing **** when I was literally just asking you just for your source on making that statement....which you still didn't provide. You gave a quote. Link me the **** article/rule from the NCAA so I can ****ing read it.

If you can't provide the proof why the **** should any of us believe you when pretty much everyone here knows of the rule that if you're recruited (ov/get official scholarship offer) in football, then even joining the football team transfers the scholarship... But if you aren't recruited the scholarship doesn't transfer until you play in a game.

i've never heard this 2 yr rule you're talking about which is why I want a link to the article so i can read it.

I suggest posters go read the entire rule 15.5.6.3 at http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation.

Ethnicsands has it right above.

Last edited:

If the kid was recruited by the football program, he counts towards football as soon as he practices, whether or not he plays. (Santana moss rule.)

A track kid who was not recruited by the football team who then walks onto the football team counts towards football if he competes, but not just because he practices.

I suppose it's fact specific with Burns. If he was at all recruited by football, he cannot walk on without counting as a scholarship.

I don't think that's how that works. Doesn't matter if you were recruited at all. If you sign on with a school for a track scholarship, then later on also go and play football later in your collegiate career; your track scholarship becomes a football scholarship and counts against the 85 scholly limit.

Advertisement

I don't think that's how that works. Doesn't matter if you were recruited at all. If you sign on with a school for a track scholarship, then later on also go and play football later in your collegiate career; your track scholarship becomes a football scholarship and counts against the 85 scholly limit.

Correct. It will NOT count against the initial qualifier rule of 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15.5.9 Multisport Participants.
15.5.9.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.9.1.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] A counter who previously has not been counted in football shall be considered an initial counter even though the student-athlete already has received countable financial aid in another sport.

u got a source for that?

Sam Darnold should rethink volleyball because he sucks *** as a quarterback

Advertisement
Back