Burgess Owens interview

@chevyboy79 WRONG! the democrat party CREATED the kkk. that is a fact! Jim Crow, Lester Maddox, bull Connor....ALLLLLLL democrats. FACTS! I used to believe like you until, I stopped listening to people who had an agenda and actually did my own research.
Agree 100% here. The KKK was founded by the Democratic party and the funny thing is, it is the Republican party that has historically stood for the inclusivity of all races, women's suffrage, and hispanic inclusivity. Anybody know a man by the name of Abraham Lincoln? Emancipation proclamation? Si? No? And then again the Republican Party pushed for the Civil Right's act in 1964 against opposition from the Democratic Party. It was the republican party that began pushing the issue for women's suffrage in the late 1800s and the first and only hispanic governor of California was Pacheco, also in the late 1800s. I'm not saying the Republican Party is perfect by any means, the primary problem in this country is that we lack educated voting and people vote for who's "cool" or "nice" or "is a good guy" like if we're gonna tailgate with the president. But let's not act like the Democratic party is this party of the people or any of this nonsense.

I'm not one for media or movies or anything like that being my source of political or scientific information, but within a few exceptions, the movie Free State of Jones paints a pretty good picture of the situation and the history.

Advertisement
First of all this doesn't belong in this forum but I'll play along...I hate it when I see anyone blaming one party for what's happened to the black community for over 400 yrs. If I were to believe Mr. Owens I'd be a fool bcs he's trying to convince us that "only" the Democratic party is to blame. He then try's to make it seem as if the KKK and Jim Crow are synonymous with the Democratic party, lmao. Both the Democratic party and Republican party are to blame, period! Both parties full of shii...I digress
Historically, the Democratic Party was the party of Jim Crow, segregation, the Solid (racist) South and the KKK.

When Joe Biden said he worked across the aisle with Talmadge and Eastland the other day, some dumb anchor on CNN or MSNBC described him as working with Republicans. Well, the segregationists Talmadge and Eastland were Democrats!

It is foolish to say that the Republican Party is the party of the Klan just because David Duke has run for office as a Republican. He has been repudiated by the mainstream of the Republican Party and almost any responsible Republican politician who has addressed the issue.

By the way, I am and have been a registered Democrat ever since I was old enough to register, but was a New Deal liberal Democrat, not a Dixiecrat.

The most famous former Klansman in national politics was former Democratic Senator from West Virginia, Richard Byrd, whom Hillary Clinton once described as a mentor.

In before the lock!

Agree 100% here. The KKK was founded by the Democratic party and the funny thing is, it is the Republican party that has historically stood for the inclusivity of all races, women's suffrage, and hispanic inclusivity. Anybody know a man by the name of Abraham Lincoln? Emancipation proclamation? Si? No? And then again the Republican Party pushed for the Civil Right's act in 1964 against opposition from the Democratic Party. It was the republican party that began pushing the issue for women's suffrage in the late 1800s and the first and only hispanic governor of California was Pacheco, also in the late 1800s. I'm not saying the Republican Party is perfect by any means, the primary problem in this country is that we lack educated voting and people vote for who's "cool" or "nice" or "is a good guy" like if we're gonna tailgate with the president. But let's not act like the Democratic party is this party of the people or any of this nonsense.

I'm not one for media or movies or anything like that being my source of political or scientific information, but within a few exceptions, the movie Free State of Jones paints a pretty good picture of the situation and the history.
The Civil Rights legislation had support from the more liberal Democrats as well, I believe. But there was a lot of resistance from southern Democrats. Didn't Democrat LBJ sign it?

I found this clip doing research on a book about Vietnam. I was going through a 1967 copy of Jet Magazine (For those of you who don't know, Jet was a black focused magazine covering politics, news, entertainment and sports). In this particular issue they had reaction to Muhammed Ali's draft fight. Throw it out just for an interesting "what its worth" blast from the past:

View attachment 88215
Some claim Dr. MLK was a registered Republican but I don't know if that's true. In the South, he would have been surrounded by segregationist White Democrats. (not all, but most.)

Historically, the Democratic Party was the party of Jim Crow, segregation, the Solid (racist) South and the KKK.

When Joe Biden said he worked across the aisle with Talmadge and Eastland the other day, some dumb anchor on CNN or MSNBC described him as working with Republicans. Well, the segregationists Talmadge and Eastland were Democrats!

It is foolish to say that the Republican Party is the party of the Klan just because David Duke has run for office as a Republican. He has been repudiated by the mainstream of the Republican Party and almost any responsible Republican politician who has addressed the issue.

By the way, I am and have been a registered Democrat ever since I was old enough to register, but was a New Deal liberal Democrat, not a Dixiecrat.

The most famous former Klansman in national politics was former Democratic Senator from West Virginia, Richard Byrd, whom Hillary Clinton once described as a mentor.

In before the lock!

Thank you for not playing party politics and just speaking the facts. I'm a registered republican but probably labeled a "Moderate Republican" because of my lax conservatism on social issues. Only way for us to move forward as a country is to come to the middle and employ some common sense, as hard as that may sound. Btw, David Duke did run as a republican in '92 and has been repudiated by most responsible republicans as you say but he also ran as a democrat initially in '88. So the argument made for Duke, his ideals, and "ties" to the republican party can also be made the same way for his "ties" to the democratic party as well.

Advertisement
The Civil Rights legislation had support from the more liberal Democrats as well, I believe. But there was a lot of resistance from southern Democrats. Didn't Democrat LBJ sign it?
Absolutely, proposed by JFK signed by LBJ after a filibuster by the man you mentioned, Senator Byrd. But the perception nowadays, and I'm sure you would get this response if you asked people on the sidewalk, is that the Republican Party would've never stood for something like that. And that is simply not true.

Thank you for not playing party politics and just speaking the facts. I'm a registered republican but probably labeled a "Moderate Republican" because of my lax conservatism on social issues. Only way for us to move forward as a country is to come to the middle and employ some common sense, as hard as that may sound. Btw, David Duke did run as a republican in '92 and has been repudiated by most responsible republicans as you say but he also ran as a democrat initially in '88. So the argument made for Duke, his ideals, and "ties" to the republican party can also be made the same way for his "ties" to the democratic party as well.
I actually vote for both Democrats and Republicans here in Maryland. I make decisions based on a number of factors, not party alone.

I really don’t care what he is to you. At all. No ***** given. The failure who is inconsequential that i was referring to was the OP. So climb down off your high horse. If you haven’t been able to figure it out … the reason for the thread was to push a political agenda. This isn’t the place for it.
I think the OP posted about Burgess because he was an outstanding football alum who has made his mark in other pursuits. I don't think the OP was pursuing a political agenda necessarily. It's interesting to see what our former athletes are doing (other than arrests, etc ) It's been depressing enough to read the news on KWII.

I'm not getting into any political debates on here, but bringing up parties policies from the 1800s as if they still ring true today is ridiculous. How about you take a look at both parties CURRENT views and base your debate off of that. The Democrat and Republican parties views are MUCH different today than they were 150 years ago.

Advertisement
Absolutely that arguement can be made. As I stated,my stance is politicians as a whole simply arent my cup of tea. Only party i follow is none of the above. Monty's the only politician I'll ever give my support to.

Advertisement
I really don’t care what he is to you. At all. No ***** given. The failure who is inconsequential that i was referring to was the OP. So climb down off your high horse. If you haven’t been able to figure it out … the reason for the thread was to push a political agenda. This isn’t the place for it.
I'm gonna take the high road on this one. Just pretty sad your use of labels to characterize anyone you know nothing at all about. You didnt say something about the topic. You slandered Burgess as a man. Seems awfully personal and pretty sad actually.

Where were all the Republicans when MLK was unjustifiably Jailed, and they turned their Backs to him....but Robert Kennedy stepped in and fought to have him released??....Lol at Rebublicans as a whole, less Racist than Democrats....

Advertisement
But you’re NOT taking any “high road”, you’re demonstrating an inability to read written words and comprehend them. I’d say read it again, but you’ve made it clear in two responses that that would be a futile endeavor - which just so happens to be a pretty useful tool when responding to … wait for it … written words. Is this “CIS-mystery man” thing that important to your real life persona that a simple “my bad, I didn’t realize that you had directed your comments against the OP and NOT my dearest Burgess” not even an option? Because if I HAD directed any words towards him I would have written that in my previous response and given zero ***** who he is/was to you.

So let me know if for future exchanges you’d prefer that I put spaces or periods between each word to help your pacing as you wear down your fingerprints (dragging them along the screen) and sound out the letters.

Read … more … slowly … for … better … understanding. Consider it my PSA and just say thank you.
Naked agenda! Some people lives are so inconsequential from their own failures...smh.

I'm not getting into any political debates on here, but bringing up parties policies from the 1800s as if they still ring true today is ridiculous. How about you take a look at both parties CURRENT views and base your debate off of that. The Democrat and Republican parties views are MUCH different today than they were 150 years ago.

Partisan folks who view politics like just another team sport tend to have no concept of historical context and party realignments. That’s why you see silly things like “MLK was a republican!” whitewashing an icon of social and economic justice who stood up for the poor and oppressed both home and abroad.

His staunch anti imperialism and fight to improve working conditions through organized labor doesn’t fit neatly into that right wing narrative so they ignore it and use his image to push their own agendas. It’s pretty gross to be quite honest.

That’s just one example of partisan hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back