Bruce Feldman: Kaaya top Heisman dark horse candidate

LOL at Hurd being a Heisman candidate. The Tennessee hype in the media is nuts.

Kaaya won't win the Heisman because it's become a "best player on the best team" award. In order to win it on a 3+ loss team you better put up absurd stats and have a couple huge national moments. I don't see Richt throwing it enough to run up those numbers.

Who knows with Tennessee. They could've easily won the 4 games they lost (2 of which against CFB playoff teams). They have a tougher early schedule, but if they get past Oct 15 with only 1 loss they're going to be in great shape. There are a ton of really strong candidates for Heisman this year. Kaaya needs to turn into the leader of this team. He has all of the tools to lead a national championship team, I just hope that his experience playing under too much pressure and a horrid OL hasn't rattled his confidence.

With regard to Tennessee, I don't play the "they could have won ___ games" huckabuck. They didn't. They are what their record is. I'm sure they won a couple games they "could have" lost too.

I'm thinking if Tennessee had Ryan Williams instead of Dobbs, they go 15-0.

Advertisement

Kaaya won't win the Heisman because it's become a "best player on the best team" award. In order to win it on a 3+ loss team you better put up absurd stats and have a couple huge national moments. I don't see Richt throwing it enough to run up those numbers.

Who knows with Tennessee. They could've easily won the 4 games they lost (2 of which against CFB playoff teams). They have a tougher early schedule, but if they get past Oct 15 with only 1 loss they're going to be in great shape. There are a ton of really strong candidates for Heisman this year. Kaaya needs to turn into the leader of this team. He has all of the tools to lead a national championship team, I just hope that his experience playing under too much pressure and a horrid OL hasn't rattled his confidence.

With regard to Tennessee, I don't play the "they could have won ___ games" huckabuck. They didn't. They are what their record is. I'm sure they won a couple games they "could have" lost too.

Christ, Tennesleeze should play the Arky inbreds annually in the You Were Lied To About Us Being Good This Year Bowl. So sick of that effing noise prior to every season recently.

Now that he's a junior and he's 40-1 odds to win the Heisman it justifies him starting as a true freshman and leading a talent rich team to 6-7?

Would maybe winning 1-2 more games with williams justify kaaya losing 1 year exp. Does a 9 win al golden year mean that much?. If kaaya is being considered top 5 pick and heisman candidate his third year what mkes u think hes not better than a memphis qb who was passed up by another 1st rnd qb in lynch?

These arguments are comical. We return a 9 win team with 7 NFL ready guys in the ACC and start a freshman QB and the win total drops to 6 and everyone says it's not the QB's fault. Meanwhile he has a horrendous 3rd down completion rate and blows every close 4th quarter game as one would expect a true freshman to do and we're all here scratching our heads. Duke Johnson was a dark horse Heisman candidate that year while we're on that topic.

He was the ****ing ACC rookie of the year and threw 26td's and 12tds for 3200yds, Ryan Williams threw for 2600yds in his whole career for 17TD's and 10 INT's against 90% Conference USA. Just stop already. Do you have a Ryan Williams poster over your bed that you jack off to his imaginary accomplishments to?

If you watched the games and had no problems with Kaaya's performance, then this is just a difference of opinion. The fact that you're getting so mad about it lets us all know who's jacking off to idealized football players. We went from a 9-3 team to a 6-7 team. Surely UDFA Stephen Morris isn't anywhere near Kaaya who is getting all of the media hype. Kaaya probably should've started as HS senior over Morris. I mean, he's a darkhorse candidate now, so case in point.

Once again, ACC freshman of the year. Give me one concrete example of something Ryan Williams has done to lead you to believe he's better than kaaya at any point in their career. Are you going off his spring session senior year when he was the only QB on campus and receiving praise from the Al Golden staff lol? Or are you a Miramar alumn?

26td's and 12tds for 3200yds

I'm thinking if Tennessee had Ryan Williams instead of Dobbs, they go 15-0.

Or they could just play a true freshman and play for 2017. I mean 2018. Well, he might be a dark horse Heisman candidate by then.

Would maybe winning 1-2 more games with williams justify kaaya losing 1 year exp. Does a 9 win al golden year mean that much?. If kaaya is being considered top 5 pick and heisman candidate his third year what mkes u think hes not better than a memphis qb who was passed up by another 1st rnd qb in lynch?

These arguments are comical. We return a 9 win team with 7 NFL ready guys in the ACC and start a freshman QB and the win total drops to 6 and everyone says it's not the QB's fault. Meanwhile he has a horrendous 3rd down completion rate and blows every close 4th quarter game as one would expect a true freshman to do and we're all here scratching our heads. Duke Johnson was a dark horse Heisman candidate that year while we're on that topic.

He was the ****ing ACC rookie of the year and threw 26td's and 12tds for 3200yds, Ryan Williams threw for 2600yds in his whole career for 17TD's and 10 INT's against 90% Conference USA. Just stop already. Do you have a Ryan Williams poster over your bed that you jack off to his imaginary accomplishments to?

If you watched the games and had no problems with Kaaya's performance, then this is just a difference of opinion. The fact that you're getting so mad about it lets us all know who's jacking off to idealized football players. We went from a 9-3 team to a 6-7 team. Surely UDFA Stephen Morris isn't anywhere near Kaaya who is getting all of the media hype. Kaaya probably should've started as HS senior over Morris. I mean, he's a darkhorse candidate now, so case in point.

Once again, ACC freshman of the year. Give me one concrete example of something Ryan Williams has done to lead you to believe he's better than kaaya at any point in their career. Are you going off his spring session senior year when he was the only QB on campus and receiving praise from the Al Golden staff lol? Or are you a Miramar alumn?

The way he performed against USF is really what made me think he was capable of leading this team beyond 6 wins. I know you probably don't watch the games, but maybe you can watch a recap on youtube or something. He made throws during that game that Kaaya couldn't make until his sophomore year (the year he should've started).

You're obviously in love with Kaaya, so let me ask you this. What changed between the 2013 team that was 9-3 and a team that lost 4 more games in 2014? What were the main differences, and I'd like some "concrete examples".

Advertisement

The way he performed against USF is really what made me think he was capable of leading this team beyond 6 wins. I know you probably don't watch the games, but maybe you can watch a recap on youtube or something. He made throws during that game that Kaaya couldn't make until his sophomore year (the year he should've started).

You're obviously in love with Kaaya, so let me ask you this. What changed between the 2013 team that was 9-3 and a team that lost 4 more games in 2014? What were the main differences, and I'd like some "concrete examples".

Concrete examples? How about the schedule? The schedule of that 9 win season was an absolute joke. We went 7-0 with our toughest competition as Wake Forrest (who we almost lost to) then got completely exposed once our schedule went to normal finishing 2-4. Not to mention the change to James Coley. Kaaya was 2nd in the ACC in passing so he did his job. And maybe you missed it but Ole Jon F. admitted that they didn't care about the games at the end of Kaayas first season. They didn't even try to win vs UVA and Pitt. So maybe if our veteran players had more pride than your average street hooker, we win at least 8.

Concrete examples? How about the schedule? The schedule of that 9 win season was an absolute joke. We went 7-0 with our toughest competition as Wake Forrest (who we almost lost to) then got completely exposed once our schedule went to normal finishing 2-4. Not to mention the change to James Coley. Kaaya was 2nd in the ACC in passing so he did his job. And maybe you missed it but Ole Jon F. admitted that they didn't care about the games at the end of Kaayas first season. They didn't even try to win vs UVA and Pitt. So maybe if our veteran players had more pride than your average street hooker, we win at least 8.

I'll buy Coley and I'll buy the apathy of the last 3 games of 2014. The thing with Coley is that we only know what kind of a playcaller he was with Kaaya as the QB, so difficult to say who was the problem, but it was a significant difference between the 2013 team. Senior leadership at QB would've made the difference. If you guys don't understand the difference between having a leader at the QB position who has the faith of his teammates vs. someone who has the faith of his coaches but you have to nurse along, then this will continue to be simply a difference of opinion.

I'll buy Coley and I'll buy the apathy of the last 3 games of 2014. The thing with Coley is that we only know what kind of a playcaller he was with Kaaya as the QB, so difficult to say who was the problem, but it was a significant difference between the 2013 team. Senior leadership at QB would've made the difference. If you guys don't understand the difference between having a leader at the QB position who has the faith of his teammates vs. someone who has the faith of his coaches but you have to nurse along, then this will continue to be simply a difference of opinion.
Lol Kaaya was the second best passer in the ACC and they lost 6 games. Ryan Williams wouldn't have come close to those numbers. So I'm supposed to believe the defense would suddenly make a stop with him? Nope. Difference between those to years was the schedule. Our players were big vaginas both years but I put that on the coaches.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Ryan williams came into the game up 35-7 against 2-10 USF and threw a pick......i hope thats no lt the game youre talking about.

Advertisement
Mailbag: How will Georgia do under new coach Kirby Smart? | FOX Sports

I defined “dark horse candidates” as any player listed as more than a 20/1 pick this season. Seven guys come to mind: Texas Tech QB Patrick
Mahomes (30/1); Miami QB Brad Kaaya (40/1); Wazzu QB Luke Falk (45/1); Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd (50/1); Houston QB Greg Ward (50/1); Penn State RB Sequon Barkley (80/1) and Louisville QB Lamar Jackson (100/1).

Of this group, I’d arrange this way: Kaaya, Ward, Hurd, Jackson, Falk, Mahomes, Barkley.

Kaaya’s accurate and smart. He also plays for a glamour program at which he will get a lot of attention if he and new Miami head coach Mark Richt can get on a roll. Problem for him is there are already two bigger Heisman names in the ACC in Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Florida State's Dalvin Cook. If the Canes can beat FSU this year and move to 5-0, Kaaya could be in the mix.

Ward’s a dual-threat guy on a team that is primed to make a run at a Playoff spot. He can move up on the radar right away with a huge game against OU in the opener.

Hurd could be this year’s Derrick Henry. He is a big physical back with freaky speed on an SEC title contender. But even if the Vols do live up to the hype this year, QB Josh Dobbs would likely get plenty of the spotlight. Hurd’s back-up Alvin Kamara is also very talented and probably will keep Hurd from getting too many touches.

Jackson was fantastic against the Texas A&M defense in their bowl game. Folks inside the Louisville program rave about his potential. Like Kaaya, he’s overshadowed now by Watson and Cook, but Jackson will have plenty of chances to change that. He’ll also have a late-season Thursday game against Houston and Ward that will be very interesting.

Falk may lead the nation in passing. He’s also got a lot of weapons back to rely on and WSU could be a legit contender in the Pac-12 race. Given how dismal this program was before he took over, that’d be a nice point for his candidacy.

Mahomes has eye-catching talent in his ability to extend plays and make accurate — and strong — throws from all sorts of arm angles. He’s also in a system where he should put up huge numbers. The down side: Tech has to replace most of its O-line, and I doubt they’ll win more than eight games.

Barkley ran all over a loaded Ohio State D last year. I still think Penn State’s probably another year away from being a top-20 team, but if they mature earlier than expected, he’ll be the cover guy.

Glamour program? Not since 2003. Hated program(happily for the big time SOBs like OSU and ND) on life support after Ped U Al messed everything up is more like it. Kaaya has a real climb to make the group invited to New York for the Heisman ceremony. He's a great kid and he's going to be a stellar QB in the NFL, but ..................... You know the story.

Lol Kaaya was the second best passer in the ACC and they lost 6 games. Ryan Williams wouldn't have come close to those numbers. So I'm supposed to believe the defense would suddenly make a stop with him? Nope. Difference between those to years was the schedule. Our players were big vaginas both years but I put that on the coaches.

They lost 7 games. The difference was not the schedule. The only difference was Nebraska instead of Florida. We had FSU at home as well. We didn't need numbers, we needed 3rd down conversions and game-winning drives.

I don't see anything "darkhorse" about Kaaya...

He's one of the top QBs in the country - that sounds like a "contender" to me....

Mailbag: How will Georgia do under new coach Kirby Smart? | FOX Sports

I defined “dark horse candidates” as any player listed as more than a 20/1 pick this season. Seven guys come to mind: Texas Tech QB Patrick
Mahomes (30/1); Miami QB Brad Kaaya (40/1); Wazzu QB Luke Falk (45/1); Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd (50/1); Houston QB Greg Ward (50/1); Penn State RB Sequon Barkley (80/1) and Louisville QB Lamar Jackson (100/1).

Of this group, I’d arrange this way: Kaaya, Ward, Hurd, Jackson, Falk, Mahomes, Barkley.

Kaaya’s accurate and smart. He also plays for a glamour program at which he will get a lot of attention if he and new Miami head coach Mark Richt can get on a roll. Problem for him is there are already two bigger Heisman names in the ACC in Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Florida State's Dalvin Cook. If the Canes can beat FSU this year and move to 5-0, Kaaya could be in the mix.

Ward’s a dual-threat guy on a team that is primed to make a run at a Playoff spot. He can move up on the radar right away with a huge game against OU in the opener.

Hurd could be this year’s Derrick Henry. He is a big physical back with freaky speed on an SEC title contender. But even if the Vols do live up to the hype this year, QB Josh Dobbs would likely get plenty of the spotlight. Hurd’s back-up Alvin Kamara is also very talented and probably will keep Hurd from getting too many touches.

Jackson was fantastic against the Texas A&M defense in their bowl game. Folks inside the Louisville program rave about his potential. Like Kaaya, he’s overshadowed now by Watson and Cook, but Jackson will have plenty of chances to change that. He’ll also have a late-season Thursday game against Houston and Ward that will be very interesting.

Falk may lead the nation in passing. He’s also got a lot of weapons back to rely on and WSU could be a legit contender in the Pac-12 race. Given how dismal this program was before he took over, that’d be a nice point for his candidacy.

Mahomes has eye-catching talent in his ability to extend plays and make accurate — and strong — throws from all sorts of arm angles. He’s also in a system where he should put up huge numbers. The down side: Tech has to replace most of its O-line, and I doubt they’ll win more than eight games.

Barkley ran all over a loaded Ohio State D last year. I still think Penn State’s probably another year away from being a top-20 team, but if they mature earlier than expected, he’ll be the cover guy.

[video=youtube;xNzBgR0UoYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzBgR0UoYo[/video]

Yep...for USC, Stanford, or some other PAC program. Here at Miami....NO CHAnce, EVEN THOUGH i THINK HE WILL RICHLY DESERVE the honor before he leaves UM.

They lost 7 games. The difference was not the schedule. The only difference was Nebraska instead of Florida. We had FSU at home as well. We didn't need numbers, we needed 3rd down conversions and game-winning drives.

We didn't beat one team with a winning record in 2013. We played Louisville as our second cross over. A team Morris was blown out by. But whatever, the whole nation recognizes Kaaya as a top talent while our own fans are spending time wondering about a nobody in Ryan Williams. It's not even worth arguing. Kaaya has been clearly our best QB in years and has pulled his weight on these weak teams.

Advertisement

We didn't beat one team with a winning record in 2013. We played Louisville as our second cross over. A team Morris was blown out by. But whatever, the whole nation recognizes Kaaya as a top talent while our own fans are spending time wondering about a nobody in Ryan Williams. It's not even worth arguing. Kaaya has been clearly our best QB in years and has pulled his weight on these weak teams.

Who's questioning whether Kaaya is a top talent? I'm saying that he shouldn't have been given the reins to a loaded 2014 team (despite that our fans think it was a weak team, the NFL disagreed). And we beat 3 teams with winning records in 2013, so I don't know if you're just making stuff up at this point or what.

Who's questioning whether Kaaya is a top talent? I'm saying that he shouldn't have been given the reins to a loaded 2014 team (despite that our fans think it was a weak team, the NFL disagreed). And we beat 3 teams with winning records in 2013, so I don't know if you're just making stuff up at this point or what.

You're right. Three 7 win teams. I almost forgot that was a winning season these days. Yes, that was a weak team. Despite all the NFL talent they quit on games and didn't make plays. They completely resembled their head coach. While Golden gets all the blame, as a player you still gotta have some pride.

You're right. Three 7 win teams. I almost forgot that was a winning season these days. Yes, that was a weak team. Despite all the NFL talent they quit on games and didn't make plays. They completely resembled their head coach. While Golden gets all the blame, as a player you still gotta have some pride.

Yeah more wins than losses is the definition of having a winning record. "These days" more games are played so I'm not sure to when you are referring exactly.

As for the talent of that team, well I guess you can have your opinion and the NFL can have theirs.

Advertisement

Yeah more wins than losses is the definition of having a winning record. "These days" more games are played so I'm not sure to when you are referring exactly.

As for the talent of that team, well I guess you can have your opinion and the NFL can have theirs.
I said there was NFL talent on that team. All the more reason it was weak. They became Goldenites and played passive but I'm supposed to believe the only award winning player on that team was the weak spot? Nah. Feliciano just stuck up for his boy but Kaaya was the best QB on the team.

I said there was NFL talent on that team. All the more reason it was weak. They became Goldenites and played passive but I'm supposed to believe the only award winning player on that team was the weak spot? Nah. Feliciano just stuck up for his boy but Kaaya was the best QB on the team.

It's just a difference of opinion. I won't accept that 6 wins in this conference was the limit for that team. Hopefully in Kaaya's final season with us this year we will have something to show for it.

It's just a difference of opinion. I won't accept that 6 wins in this conference was the limit for that team. Hopefully in Kaaya's final season with us this year we will have something to show for it.

This doesn't even make any sense. Are you seriously saying that the ONLY conceivable reason for a 6 win season is the QB? Not a terrible defensive scheme. Not terrible coaching. Not a bunch of players who admit to quitting on the season.

Advertisement
Back