Off-Topic Brother Jimmy's Cane Watch NYC Closing

Advertisement
48% closure of small business closure In San Fran in May of 21. What is 50% of how many small businesses there are in San Fran. NYC reached higher levels than 48% you do the math you seem like a smart guy even though you had the audacity to call people who have ran a business for 50+ years lazy when outside control caused them to shut down their doors. should have they adapted? Absolutely. But to call them lazy is disgusting.
The article does not say NYC had more than 50% of the small businesses close.

They were lazy. They either got complacent or they had the company handed down to them and they ran it into the ground. How did the rest of these businesses manage to do the impossible and against all odds somehow overcome these impossible circumstances?

Yes that is why I found it ridiculous that he said 10s of thousands closed down due to covid.
This is Brooklyn alone

• The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce says the roughly 62,000 small businesses in Brooklyn employ half of the borough’s workforce
  • The closure rate depends on the industry and commercial corridor
  • The Chamber estimates that at least 20% of small businesses have closed for good

Advertisement
I didn't take his comment about being just NYC, which is why I added the link.
He was talking about NYC alone.

He said "We lost a ton of 50+ year old establishments during this time. Manahattan & Burroughs staples that stood the test of time until all of this."

I said tens of thousands survived.

He said tens of thousands didn't.

Of course my tens of thousands was referring to NYC only, otherwise I would have said "millions".

This is Brooklyn alone

• The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce says the roughly 62,000 small businesses in Brooklyn employ half of the borough’s workforce
  • The closure rate depends on the industry and commercial corridor
  • The Chamber estimates that at least 20% of small businesses have closed for good

We were talking about restaurants, but if you want to now discuss businesses as a whole. Then I change my statement to.

Hundreds of thousands of small businesses in NYC survived the pandemic.
You don't need to be Elon Musk to be able to survive the pandemic. These guys were just lazy morons who had no idea how to adapt. A lot of these businesses that got shut down had owners with pretty much no safety net of savings, which is one of the most important things to build up when you have a small business.

Anyway you cut it, significantly more businesses survived than failed during covid. Somehow the majority where able to overcome these impossible odds. Its not just pure luck. These business owners were smarter, harder working, and more business savvy.

Advertisement
We were talking about restaurants, but if you want to now discuss businesses as a whole. Then I change my statement to.

You don't need to be Elon Musk to be able to survive the pandemic. These guys were just lazy morons who had no idea how to adapt. A lot of these businesses that got shut down had owners with pretty much no safety net of savings, which is one of the most important things to build up when you have a small business.

Anyway you cut it, significantly more businesses survived than failed during covid. Somehow the majority where able to overcome these impossible odds. Its not just pure luck. These business owners were smarter, harder working, and more business savvy.
Fair enough. A lot of businesses survived while a lot of others didn’t. I don’t agree with your lazy take but I understand the sentiment. Just in my family alone we lost 2 or 3 restaurants that I grew up going to that have been around for decades.

Patrons just stopped coming and then the added gut punch was all the muppet-esque restrictions/policies that increased the overhead costs.

Is that about right?

Tough times for your industry to be sure, even for the most efficiently run organizations.

To be sure, the weak were culled, but I imagine you know of several solid establishments that really struggled.
I retired over a yr ago....but for 14yrs before that I was a Corporate Chef for a Restaurant Group, running 6 restaurants (Back of the House) so I'm well versed on what's happened the last 2yrs.

Advertisement
@JD08 well no more need for speculation, now we know what he was referring to. Straight from the horses mouth. The 5 Borroughs had tens of thousands of restaurants shutdown. I guess we now have between -75000 and 5000 restaurants in NYC.
Wrong. This conversation started as bars and restaurants and then moved to small business.

NO trade was hit worse than the Restaurant trade....Trust me....the effects are still being felt.

Fair enough. A lot of businesses survived while a lot of others didn’t. I don’t agree with your lazy take but I understand the sentiment. Just in my family alone we lost 2 or 3 restaurants that I grew up going to that have been around for decades.
Well luckily we have a great welfare system in place in NYC, so they won't starve to death before they find a new job.

Advertisement
Wrong. This conversation started as bars and restaurants and then moved to small business.
You moved it there, without mentioning that to me. You can't just throw out a statistic that has nothing to do with the conversation and then after you are called out say "oh I was talking about this instead".

Well luckily we have a great welfare system in place in NYC, so they won't starve to death before they find a new job.
Agreed. A lot of good people donated money to keep establishments open as well. I know Rays candy shop raised over like 6k to stay open at one time. I think they survived because of it

Agreed. A lot of good people donated money to keep establishments open as well. I know Rays candy shop raised over like 6k to stay open at one time. I think they survived because of it
I'm originally from NYC...Born in Brooklyn...I have a family member who owns a Production/Content House company in Manhattan, and a sister who lives in Staten Island....they keep me well informed.

You moved it there, without mentioning that to me. You can't just throw out a statistic that has nothing to do with the conversation and then after you are called out say "oh I was talking about this instead".
I’m done after this comment. But it’s a small business statistic. What we were discussing falls into the small business category. I thought it was relevant to both topics. But yes I should have mentioned that I moved the goalpost to small business as a whole. Hopefully we someday get the numbers for bars and restaurants alone in nyc but not sure we will ever get those stats during this stretch. We lost a great NYC canes atmosphere. Go canes

Advertisement
Back