Off-Topic Brother Jimmy's Cane Watch NYC Closing

Wtf. I was just there 2 weeks ago. Eh, I figured it was going under from the menu but not that soon. So what's the new NY meetup?

Advertisement
He needed to keep the place open another 8 months...
The place was packed with Canes fans last time I went during the 2019 season and that was when we sucked. If we can get decent under Mario, that place would have needed a guest list. Of course it wasn't packed with Canes fans the last 2 years, most grads from tier 1 universities weren't packing into places in 2020/2021.

Advertisement
Because it is just an excuse used by cry babies that don't have good business sense.
🤣🤣🤣🤣 I would love to hear your business plan for a basic bar/restaurant in Manhattan that wasn’t allowed to be fully operational for a full year+…. And then they were finally allowed to open again but guess what… only for outdoor dinning…. In the Winter 🤣 And then after a beyond devastating economical 2 years for Manhattan and NY state as a whole they decide…. Vaccinated only may come to Manhattan and eat and drink in our establishments…. Only to do a complete 180 on that stance as well

You can take the greatest business minds this world has ever seen and they would struggle to keep a nan and pop bar/restaurant afloat in those conditions within the most competitive market of probably any city in the world. My roots go back close to 150 years in the city. We lost a ton of 50+ year old establishments during this time. Manahattan & Burroughs staples that stood the test of time until all of this.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I would love to hear your business plan for a basic bar/restaurant in Manhattan that wasn’t allowed to be fully operational for a full year+…. And then they were finally allowed to open again but guess what… only for outdoor dinning…. In the Winter 🤣 And then after a beyond devastating economical 2 years for Manhattan and NY state as a whole they decide…. Vaccinated only may come to Manhattan and eat and drink in our establishments…. Only to do a complete 180 on that stance as well

You can take the greatest business minds this world has ever seen and they would struggle to keep a nan and pop bar/restaurant afloat in those conditions within the most competitive market of probably any city in the world. My roots go back close to 150 years in the city. We lost a ton of 50+ year old establishments during this time. Manahattan & Burroughs staples that stood the test of time until all of this.

Tell me you don't know schit about running a business without telling me you don't know schit about running a business.

Tens of thousands of establishments "survived" the pandemic.

You don't need to be Elon Musk to be able to survive the pandemic. These guys were just lazy morons who had no idea how to adapt. A lot of these businesses that got shut down had owners with pretty much no safety net of savings, which is one of the most important things to build up when you have a small business like these "nan and pop bars".

z8AJNUSLDgNvG.gif

Advertisement
Tell me you don't know schit about running a business without telling me you don't know schit about running a business.

Tens of thousands of establishments "survived" the pandemic.

You don't need to be Elon Musk to be able to survive the pandemic. These guys were just lazy morons who had no idea how to adapt. A lot of these businesses that got shut down had owners with pretty much no safety net of savings, which is one of the most important things to build up when you have a small business like these "nan and pop bars".
Tens of thousands of establishments also didn’t survive. What is your point? In regards to your last paragraph, I completely agree. But it sounds like you know that is quite common in that industry.

Some of the fine dinning establishments that make a fortune just said the **** with it and shut down their doors throughout the entirety of it. Just re opened last month. If your going to sit here and tell me that the actions taken by NyC and other cities such as Chicago didn’t cripple their local businesses than I don’t know what to tell you.

Tens of thousands of establishments also didn’t survive. What is your point? In regards to your last paragraph, I completely agree. But it sounds like you know that is quite common in that industry.

Some of the fine dinning establishments that make a fortune just said the **** with it and shut down their doors throughout the entirety of it. Just re opened last month. If your going to sit here and tell me that the actions taken by NyC and other cities such as Chicago didn’t cripple their local businesses than I don’t know what to tell you.
Please provide me a link that shows "tens of thousands of restaurants/bars shut down during the last 2 years".

I never said that. I only said that the people that lost their businesses were not "great businessman". They were not smart or hard working enough to adapt to changes. If you have a business running for 50 years and you have no savings that is on you. I feel no sympathy for lazy people who don't want to put in the effort to adapt to the situation at hand.

They most certainly have....If anyone knows the Restaurant trade on this site it's me....

Please provide me a link that shows "tens of thousands of restaurants/bars shut down during the last 2 years".

I never said that. I only said that the people that lost their businesses were not "great businessman". They were not smart or hard working enough to adapt to changes. If you have a business running for 50 years and you have no savings that is on you. I feel no sympathy for lazy people who don't want to put in the effort to adapt to the situation at hand.
This is just the first year of the pandemic.

Advertisement

From may of 21… so things may have changed but here is link along with good excerpt below and bolded part talking about NYC.

While mom and pop might not always be in focus, collectively small businesses are a powerful and influential piece of the economy. In fact, 99.9% of all businesses in the U.S. qualify as small businesses, collectively employing almost half (47.3%) of the nation’s private workforce.
Unfortunately, they’ve also been one of the hardest-hit sectors of the economy amid the pandemic. From the CARES Act to the new budget proposal, billions of dollars have been allocated towards helping small businesses to get back on their feet.
Small business recovery in 50 metro areas
During the pandemic, many small businesses have either swiftly pivoted to survive, or struggled to stay afloat. This map pulls data from Opportunity Insights to examine the small business recovery rate in 50 metro areas across America.
So, has the situation improved since the last time we examined this data? The short answer is no—on a national scale, 34% of small businesses are closed compared to January 2020.
San Francisco is one of the most affected metro areas, with a 48% closure rate of small businesses. New York City has spiralled the most since the end of September 2020.

From may of 21… so things may have changed but here is link along with good excerpt below and bolder part talking about NYC.

While mom and pop might not always be in focus, collectively small businesses are a powerful and influential piece of the economy. In fact, 99.9% of all businesses in the U.S. qualify as small businesses, collectively employing almost half (47.3%) of the nation’s private workforce.
Unfortunately, they’ve also been one of the hardest-hit sectors of the economy amid the pandemic. From the CARES Act to the new budget proposal, billions of dollars have been allocated towards helping small businesses to get back on their feet.
Small business recovery in 50 metro areas
During the pandemic, many small businesses have either swiftly pivoted to survive, or struggled to stay afloat. This map pulls data from Opportunity Insights to examine the small business recovery rate in 50 metro areas across America.
So, has the situation improved since the last time we examined this data? The short answer is no—on a national scale, 34% of small businesses are closed compared to January 2020.
San Francisco is one of the most affected metro areas, with a 48% closure rate of small businesses. New York City has spiralled the most since the end of September 2020.
So your tens of thousands number was for the entire USA? Then I change my original statement.

Milllions of businesses survived the pandemic.

Advertisement
So your tens of thousands number was for the entire USA? Then I change my original statement.

Milllions of businesses survived the pandemic.
Negative. For nyc and outer Burroughs alone. It’s absolutely a guesstimate on my end. But the percentages in the link I provided come out to at least 10,000 if not more. JD is one who provided the link with actual numbers

They most certainly have....If anyone knows the Restaurant trade on this site it's me....
Patrons just stopped coming and then the added gut punch was all the muppet-esque restrictions/policies that increased the overhead costs.

Is that about right?

Tough times for your industry to be sure, even for the most efficiently run organizations.

To be sure, the weak were culled, but I imagine you know of several solid establishments that really struggled.

Negative. For nyc and outer Burroughs alone. It’s absolutely a guesstimate on my end. But the percentages in the link I provided come out to at least 10,000 if not more. JD is one who provided the link with actual numbers
So in other words, your claims were based on nothing.

So in other words, your claims were based on nothing.
48% closure of small business closure In San Fran in May of 21. What is 50% of how many small businesses there are in San Fran. NYC reached higher levels than 48% you do the math you seem like a smart guy even though you had the audacity to call people who have ran a business for 50+ years lazy when outside control caused them to shut down their doors. should have they adapted? Absolutely. But to call them lazy is disgusting.

Advertisement
Back