Brightline

that 711 has been gone for over a year i think. theyre trying to expand the park i believe and trying to remove the homeless hang outs. the better areas to live in DT are where the new buildings are going up further in towards the ice cream shop. 55 west and solaire are both trash can buildings with the new construction building around downtown and SODO along with a lot of the nightlife and higher end spots moving away from DT and towards mills and WP. a friend of mine is involved in RE development for a LARGE development company (JLL) so i get some insights on the plans coming around tampa, orlando, SFL. knew about the water street development in tampa for over 10 years now. while sparkman is okay, the area is great and the new edition and JW water street are gorgeous. both cities have subpar downtowns overall, but the areas to be aretn really DT in either area.
No that 7-11 is not gone...the one that's gone is the one on Rosalind....the one me and @TheOriginalCane are talking about is off of Pine St. You have no idea what tf you're talking about....The Solaire is the Nicest condo in Downtown....55 West, The View and the Paramount are crap....the CEO of Darden Foods lives in the Solaire. Just above my friends on the 26th floor....Expand Lake Eola???....That's not what's happening...I've seen the plans...they're upgrading it....New Bathrooms, with concessions nearby, another Dock and boats near the Japanese pagoda....covering the Disney Amphitheater....and a few other upgrades. They are not expanding anything. Robinson St might be only 2 lanes soon, instead of 4. The homeless situation isn't going to get better because of Azzwipe Buddy Dyers "Hands-off" approach. I know that entire area like the back of my hand.....I owned a home not even 6 blks east of Lake Eola (Lake Lawsona) for 12yrs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No that 7-11 is not gone...the one that's gone is the one on Rosalind....the one me and @TheOriginalCane are talking about is off of Pine St. You have no idea what tf you're talking about....The Solaire is the Nicest condo in Downtown....55 West, The View and the Paramount are crap....the CEO of Darden Foods lives in the Solaire. Just above my friends on the 26th floor....Expand Lake Eola???....That's not what's happening...I've seen the plans...they're upgrading it....New Bathrooms, with concessions nearby, another Dock and boats near the Japanese pagoda....covering the Disney Amphitheater....and a few other upgrades. They are not expanding anything. Robinson St might be only 2 lanes soon, instead of 4. The homeless situation isn't going to get better because of Azzwipe Buddy Dyers "Hands-off" approach. I know that entire area like the back of my hand.....I owned a home not even 6 blks east of Lake Eola (Lake Lawsona) for 12yrs.
ah ok got it. my mistake. thanks. I was thinking of the Rosalind one as you said.

theyre expanding the green space on Eola by 12 acres. their plans are all public records including their photos/renderings of the project.

im telling you the older buildings are getting outdated with the new construction going on. there are nicer buildings going up there now. I wasn't even talking about the vue which isnt great to begin with but the Vue is old now. they've opened multiple new high rises right around the vue in the last 5 years.

there isnt much you can do with homeless pop. you can just hope to keep it in certain pockets. DT overall imo is dead anyways since covid. it was never great to begin with and it's worse now.

overall, Orlando is gonna attempt to go the way of tampa which is a good thing. drive out the old crap and try to revitalize and modernize a city that I think has a ton of potential. ive had property right on Eola for years fyi.

ah ok got it. my mistake. thanks. I was thinking of the Rosalind one as you said.

theyre expanding the green space on Eola by 12 acres. their plans are all public records including their photos/renderings of the project.

im telling you the older buildings are getting outdated with the new construction going on. there are nicer buildings going up there now. I wasn't even talking about the vue which isnt great to begin with but the Vue is old now. they've opened multiple new high rises right around the vue in the last 5 years.

there isnt much you can do with homeless pop. you can just hope to keep it in certain pockets. DT overall imo is dead anyways since covid. it was never great to begin with and it's worse now.

overall, Orlando is gonna attempt to go the way of tampa which is a good thing. drive out the old crap and try to revitalize and modernize a city that I think has a ton of potential. ive had property right on Eola for years fyi.
Eola has gone to sh*t the past 5yrs....Homelessness is rampant. Yes there's Park Rangers and a bicycle police presence, but it's still a mess. I've know the gentleman who basically runs Lake Eola for 10yrs, his name is Quincy. I owned a Beautiful home 1blk from Lake Lawsona, and my GF had a gorgeous Condo at the Waverly for 6yrs. I've known that area since forever. Back in the early 90s I lived 4blks North of Eola on Concord St. My Mentor (just like a father) owned a Sports/Dart Bar on Amelia St. for 35yrs, until his death in 2011.

Look, I respect both you and @SWFLHurricane . It's tough for me to discuss this with him...on one hand, I know he lived there for a long time and his experiences are real and valid...on the other hand, I started living in Orlando in 1972 and have been going downtown long before these "more problematic" times, so I've seen the good and the bad.

The reason I brought up the 7-11 on Pine was because of the access breezeway between Church and Pine, where the elevators to the parking garage are located. For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out why they can't install enough lighting to make that place less sketchy. That 7-11 was challenging because "people who did not live in the building" used to hang out in that breezeway, and it could be a bit unsettling whether you lived there or just visited. I had a couple of encounters with people who were clearly having mental health/substance issues, and while that stuff doesn't scare me, I know it would bother a lot of other folks who not as hard-headed as I am.

I do agree that there is a trade-off. I'm not thrilled that the new stuff being built is pricing young professionals out of downtown. I have a very close friend I used to work with, he owns a house just east of downtown even though he works...down around I-Drive. He loves the restaurants and bars and OCSC and the Magic. But it's way more expensive, PER THE AMOUNT OF LAND AND HOUSE HE OWNS, than it should be.

But I also like to see enough downtown residential being built that you CAN support the Publix by Lake Eola, you can support the restaurants after 5 pm, you can have enough amenities to make the area livable.

First trips went well.

1695650016857.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Look, I respect both you and @SWFLHurricane . It's tough for me to discuss this with him...on one hand, I know he lived there for a long time and his experiences are real and valid...on the other hand, I started living in Orlando in 1972 and have been going downtown long before these "more problematic" times, so I've seen the good and the bad.

The reason I brought up the 7-11 on Pine was because of the access breezeway between Church and Pine, where the elevators to the parking garage are located. For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out why they can't install enough lighting to make that place less sketchy. That 7-11 was challenging because "people who did not live in the building" used to hang out in that breezeway, and it could be a bit unsettling whether you lived there or just visited. I had a couple of encounters with people who were clearly having mental health/substance issues, and while that stuff doesn't scare me, I know it would bother a lot of other folks who not as hard-headed as I am.

I do agree that there is a trade-off. I'm not thrilled that the new stuff being built is pricing young professionals out of downtown. I have a very close friend I used to work with, he owns a house just east of downtown even though he works...down around I-Drive. He loves the restaurants and bars and OCSC and the Magic. But it's way more expensive, PER THE AMOUNT OF LAND AND HOUSE HE OWNS, than it should be.

But I also like to see enough downtown residential being built that you CAN support the Publix by Lake Eola, you can support the restaurants after 5 pm, you can have enough amenities to make the area livable.
@TheOriginalCane ....the Publix on Lake Eola is TERRIBLE....Worst Deli ever. I was Super Close friends with the original GM Paul Bracker....we went to several UM games together. The other Publix close to Eola (on Shine) is a dump as well. It wasn't even there in the early 90s....it was an Office Depot. My GF and myself avoided both those Publix's, and went outta our way to the one in Baldwin Park, or the one on Orange & Michigan. My GF hated the Publix at the Paramount, but sometimes it was just to convenient to not go (she was at the Waverly) 400ft away. Downtown Orlando was 1,000X better in the late 80s and early 90s.....now it's literally a joke. Church St went from a Mecca of fun....to a crime ridden area.

But I also like to see enough downtown residential being built that you CAN support the Publix by Lake Eola, you can support the restaurants after 5 pm, you can have enough amenities to make the area livab
that publix needs to be torn down and built on a larger space. that **** is tiny for the amount of people its expected to serve. tbh, a lot of people are moving away from DT (theres no real incentive to live in DT anymore - the new restaurants are in WP, Mills 50, Ivanhoe, etc. along with the new higher end bars/lounges). there is a lifetime that is going to be built over by Orlando Ave near WPV, as well.

i agree on your 7-11 take. i was thinking of the rosalind one (that was my fault) where there are plenty of encounters there because that drew a ton of not so desirable stuff for anyone that lives around there which was a welcome sight that it got removed. obviously, since you and i are in similar fields, you get to know the run of the area very very well due to a certain building right next to skyhouse/vue lol.

i personally hate going into DT unless you have to and most times, you dont have to.

@TheOriginalCane ....the Publix on Lake Eola is TERRIBLE....Worst Deli ever. I was Super Close friends with the original GM Paul Bracker....we went to several UM games together. The other Publix close to Eola (on Shine) is a dump as well. It wasn't even there in the early 90s....it was an Office Depot. My GF and myself avoided both those Publix's, and went outta our way to the one in Baldwin Park, or the one on Orange & Michigan. My GF hated the Publix at the Paramount, but sometimes it was just to convenient to not go (she was at the Waverly) 400ft away. Downtown Orlando was 1,000X better in the late 80s and early 90s.....now it's literally a joke. Church St went from a Mecca of fun....to a crime ridden area.
its trash. the ones in SODO (theres another one right next to the original michigan one now) are way better even tho its farther away.

also, i do think people care less about trashy bars. the dudes that own mathers, robinson 50 (theyre miami peeps) are trying to bring a bit of upscale to downtown but only so mcuh they can do if no one else has the same plan. id get rid of all those old bars on church. there was nothing good about them.

its trash. the ones in SODO (theres another one right next to the original michigan one now) are way better even tho its farther away.
The Publix on Michigan and Orange was fantastic....even had Chinese Food...I've been gone from Orlando now for 3 1/2 yrs....but have friends throughout. They avoid downtown like the plague. I have a side business with a gentleman who has a beautiful home off of Edgewater, directly on Lake Fairview, so I'm in Orlando every few weeks.

Advertisement
The Publix on Michigan and Orange was fantastic....even had Chinese Food...I've been gone from Orlando now for 3 1/2 yrs....but have friends throughout. The avoid downtown like the plague. I have a side business with a gentleman who has a beautiful home off of Edgewater, directly on Lake Fairview, so I'm in Orlando every few weeks.
nice.

yeah i remmeber the chinese food. the one that was luckys and now a smaller publix (which makes no sense) is nice too. kinda amazing to see what SOdo is turning into after it being just oRMC and nothing else for so long. theyre trying to make that gaitlin orange intersection into something too (opened the porch, a brewery, a good pizza spot, a mochi nut even tho dochi is better, etc.). im interested to see if they take the same steps with DT Orlando.

nice.

yeah i remmeber the chinese food. the one that was luckys and now a smaller publix (which makes no sense) is nice too. kinda amazing to see what SOdo is turning into after it being just oRMC and nothing else for so long. theyre trying to make that gaitlin orange intersection into something too (opened the porch, a brewery, a good pizza spot, a mochi nut even tho dochi is better, etc.). im interested to see if they take the same steps with DT Orlando.
The Pizza spot "John & Johns" is owned by a friend of mine. He was the Original owner of Anthony's in Thornton Pk...until he sold it and opened Cavos a little further down E. Washington St near the 4-way and fountain. He recently opened up John & Johns.

The Pizza spot "John & Johns" is owned by a friend of mine. He was the Original owner of Anthony's in Thornton Pk...until he sold it and opened Cavos a little further down E. Washington St near the 4-way and fountain. He recently opened up John & Johns.
i was thinking of buttercrust (the one on holden not gaitlin i think so i mistook the intersections maybe) but john and johns is good (took over the mediterrean spot).

i was thinking of buttercrust (the one on holden not gaitlin i think so i mistook the intersections maybe) but john and johns is good (took over the mediterrean spot).

I also like SoDough a lot. Several good pizza choices south of downtown.

But @SWFLHurricane knows, when I worked in downtown, I rotated between Panino's, Planet Pizza, and Gitto's...

Advertisement

But @SWFLHurricane knows, when I worked in downtown, I rotated between Panino's, Planet Pizza, and Gitto's...
Planet Pizza was the best of them, until Old Man John passed in 2014...now they're only opened 7pm until 3am...and not the same. Gitto's was wayyyyyy better when they were Geno's back in the day.

the pizza game got a lot better. brads is my personal favorite tbh. sodough is good. buttercrust i think is good too. antonellas WP location is good. there is one also in South Orlando Nexus that is really good too and somewhat unknown and random based on location. park pizza in nona is good and bad depedning on their cook

Advertisement
Gittos is drunk pizza.

I have yet to find a good pizza place in Orlando since moving here in 2016
As I said....when it was Geno's circa 1990-2000....it was good. Let's not kid ourselves, you're not finding NYC/New Jersey quality Pizza anywhere in Fl....That's just simply facts regardless what anyone says. Florida's best Pizza would have a hard time making it in those areas, which in my opinion is the best. For the people who favor New Haven....it doesn't hold a candle to NYs best. If you want your Pizza burnt...that's on you. I've been to ALL the New Haven spots, and wasn't impressed in the least. And once their Pizza cools down...it gets like cardboard. In NYC if you want your Pizza alittle more well done, just let the Pizza guy know and he'll leave it in the oven 2-3 more mins.

Gittos is drunk pizza.

I have yet to find a good pizza place in Orlando since moving here in 2016

1. Pizza Bruno (both Curry Ford and College Park, they make different styles)
2. John & John's
3. SoDough Square
4. Buttercrust
5. Brad's Underground Pizzeria
6. Piggza

Thank me later.

Last edited:
1. Pizza Bruno (both Curry Ford and College Park, they make different styles)
2. John & John's
3. SoDough Square
4. Buttercrust
5. Brad's Underground Pizzeria

Thank me later.
The College park one was mediocre...was there 3 weeks ago. That entire area is going to ****. Businesses are closing left and right. Graffiti Junction a few doors down closed 2 months ago. Armandos Italian is overpriced and Meh...That strip at one time was the Sh*t...now the best thing there is Jeremiah's Ice Cream.

Advertisement
Back