Bradley Jennings

Barry Jackson reporting Manny said Jennings will not be ready for fall camp (along with Steed, which we already knew).

Anybody else wanna tell me he pulled his groin and he's fine?

Groin was the initial word from Manny, but I believe it is a hip injury.

Advertisement
Romeo and Gil are LB’s

No they're not and I'm so tired of this nonsense. They're nickel backs. Call them Strikers, call them box safeties, call them whatever you want. Manny is not re-inventing defense here. These kids are just 5th DBs WHEN THE OFFENSIVE PERSONNEL CALLS FOR US TO HAVE 5 DBs ON THE FIELD. There are and will be PLENTY of situations when we have 3 backers on the field and 1 of those 3 should NOT be Romeo Finley or Gil Frierson or Derrick Smith. You need to be able to match up with heavy when they go heavy. You can't play 80 plays on defense with 2 true linebackers on the field for all 80. A 4-2-5 is an even front with FIVE DBs.....one of those 5 are Finley/Gil/Smith. But that's not the only defense used here. You need linebackers. Gilbert Frierson is 195 pounds.

Groin was the initial word from Manny, but I believe it is a hip injury.

Ugh. I knew it wasn't a groin, but this isn't great news. Although I guess it's better than an ACL, which I initially thought it might be. Maybe. Hip injuries can linger and can also have a wide range of severity depending on exactly what it is.

We primarily played a 4-3 with McCloud at SLB against Pitt and BC last year.

Advertisement
Injuries have decimated our LB depth. OT and LB are our two thinnest positions. Got to hope the starters stay healthy.

I don't disagree about the depth issue being a problem. But I do agree with the small group of opinion that huff and brooks will be serviceable as true freshmen. It's been done before and will be done again. I remember a time when a p5 team had 3 starting Tru freshmen LB. I trust our coaches and choose to take the positive view that huff and brooks being forced into service as freshman will make them a more dominant experienced force in the years to come. If we don't win double digits in games this year, I assure you it won't be because of LB depth
Bash away gloomy crybaby canes

Advertisement
Anything on Wilder? If Steed, Wilder, and Jennings are out for a significant amount of time, the staff really ****ed up not getting an immediate eligible LB.
How is this on the coaches? What decent linebacker would transfer here who's only shot at playing is for one of the entrenched starters ahead of him to go down?

Advertisement
No they're not and I'm so tired of this nonsense. They're nickel backs. Call them Strikers, call them box safeties, call them whatever you want. Manny is not re-inventing defense here. These kids are just 5th DBs WHEN THE OFFENSIVE PERSONNEL CALLS FOR US TO HAVE 5 DBs ON THE FIELD. There are and will be PLENTY of situations when we have 3 backers on the field and 1 of those 3 should NOT be Romeo Finley or Gil Frierson or Derrick Smith. You need to be able to match up with heavy when they go heavy. You can't play 80 plays on defense with 2 true linebackers on the field for all 80. A 4-2-5 is an even front with FIVE DBs.....one of those 5 are Finley/Gil/Smith. But that's not the only defense used here. You need linebackers. Gilbert Frierson is 195 pounds.
True about Gilbert. He is too small right now to say "he's basically a LB".

But Romeo's pushin 220, he's got plenty of size to hold up for 60+ snaps a game in a LB type role.

No one panics better than a UM fan. What has Jennings ever done to make his potential loss such a hand-wringing moment?

We still have 3 four-year starters at LB along with some capable strikers who play a ton in today’s modern football.

This ain’t 1976 Big Ten football where everyone lines up in the I and tries to ram the ball down your throat for 60 minutes.

Advertisement
No one panics better than a UM fan. What has Jennings ever done to make his potential loss such a hand-wringing moment?

We still have 3 four-year starters at LB along with some capable strikers who play a ton in today’s modern football.

This ain’t 1976 Big Ten football where everyone lines up in the I and tries to ram the ball down your throat for 60 minutes.

It’s not just Jennings. It’s now Jennings combined with Steed and Wilder. 55/56 are going to play a ton of football this year, and very few backers in the country go a whole season without at least some small injury. It’d be nice to be able to put a kid in who has been here longer than 45 minutes if/when that happens.

If 55/56 are healthy for every snap of every game and play their normal high percentage of the snaps, this is no big deal. But losing 3 veteran LBers (even if they haven’t played much) and having to possibly and probably rely on true freshmen isn’t a good thing. Just hope there’s no further injuries, but good luck with that.

As an FYI... there is a thread that @brock bumped where there was talk of Keontra being able to play LB (I of course endorse that line of thought).
Just sayin' we have stronger options here than we do on the OL.

Advertisement
Back