Bob Shoop to Miami

Advertisement
Same. There’s still talk of a dc possibly joining but he’s not it.
1611948327708.gif

They absolutely can be on the field. Bama analysts are on the sidelines every game.

I think they need to change that rule. Otherwise there is no end in sight the the coaches, I mean analyst on the sidelines coaching. 10 coaches on the field period. Everyone else upstairs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
IJJB must have joined the BOT
Deposited that trap money cash into that Robbin Hood BOT
Got that canes coaching roster looking like an sec clone
Got these mfers hiring coaches and it’s blowing up my phone
Got my old *** thinking like it’s 83
Even got my old *** thinking I can still MC

Sorry too excited right now.

As I said in another post, offset contract language typically requires a comparable position. Let's say Baker made 700k at Miami as the playcalling DC and isn't demoted. If Baker leaves to be a playcalling DC at Houston for 400k, Miami has to make up the 300k. If he voluntarily goes from playcalling DC to a non playcalling LB coach at Minnesota for 400k, Miami can argue he didn't made a good faith effort to find a a comparable position so they don't owe him the full offset (because if looked for a playcalling DC job, then it would have made him closer to 700k and cost Miami less out pocket). That doesn't benefit Miami because now they are stuck waiting on Baker to find another playcalling DC job (the flip side of good faith is that the school has to give him a chance to find a comparable job). Could take weeks, months, or not happen at all. Miami can't make a move- either they wait while Baker looks for other DC jobs or they flush 700k down the toilet by firing him. Baker's not going leave the job as a playcalling DC to take a lower non play calling position coach job voluntarily.

However, since he was demoted, his comparable position is now that of a non-playcalling position coach. Baker would have a hard time making the case that no program in the country has interest in him as a position coach. Remember, he's making 700k as a nonplaycalling LB coach at Miami- that is exceptionally high. He doesn't HAVE to leave and could stay at Miami to collect the full amount. Obviously that looks really bad on him as recruits and other coaches would know he had job stripped away and is only sticking around for the paycheck. He's early in his career so his reputation matters a lot for future jobs. Now there is no reason for him to stick around at Miami as a demoted position coach- it served its purpose by pushing him out the door much faster as he's not restricted to looking for play-calling DC jobs. Miami COULD argue they don't owe him the full offset, but we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot- it's more likely both sides agreed on a fair buyout. Instead of owing him 700k for firing him, Miami merely owes him the offset (or possibly even less if they reached an agreement). That means, at minimum, Miami saved 400k by demoting him (and pushing him out the door) instead of firing him as soon as the season ended.
i think it is comparable position as of the time of contract, not comparable position as at the end of his tenure here.

Bringing in a vet with a resume like Shoop to be an analyst is a big boy move. Defensive staff is coming together with a nice mix of respected veterans and young go-getters. Regardless of who gets brought in to coach LB/ DC, the coaching on that side of the ball has been vastly upgraded.

Advertisement
I disagree with you about respect. I don't think you have to fear someone to respect them. He's a "player's coach" - how many times have we heard transfer players say it? Even TRob mentioned that Manny is very trustworthy - that's a big deal with players, too.
Larry Coker was a player's coach as well.

i think it is comparable position as of the time of contract, not comparable position as at the end of his tenure here.

I don't think that is the case. But I don't work with sports contracts.

"In exchange for continuing to get paid over the remaining term of his contract, Virginia’s Bronco Mendenhall would be required to seek other “gainful employment,” unless this requirement is waived in writing by Virginia’s athletics director. In addition, he would be required to report monthly to Virginia’s athletics director “on any gainful employment or consulting arrangement, and on employment applications and progress in actively seeking other employment.”

Once Mendenhall gets a new job, if he “appears to be substantially underpaid compared to market” or he gets a multi-year contract under which the pay is “unequally apportioned” so that it increases after Virginia’s payments to him end, Virginia is allowed to assign a value to the new deal based on the market “to achieve the appropriate reduction” of its payments to Mendenhall.

Alternatively, Virginia could decide to make a lump sum payment to Mendenhall for the total amount he would be owed, in which case he would have no reporting obligation or duty to seek employment elsewhere."
---

So long story short, if Bornco voluntarily took a lower position with a paycut or tried to work some sweetheart deal with another school (tells them to pay him in potato chips while he collects the rest from UVA), UVA could alter the deal.

Assuming Baker's deal is similar, if he was still playcalling DC at Miami and voluntarily took a substantially lower paying DC job or a low paid position coach job elsewhere, he and his agent know that Miami could fight and claim they don't owe him the money. He and the school would end up in litigation for months or years. He easily could spend as much money in court as he would have gotten for Miami as the offset (it makes sense for big time coaches making millions to fight, but not generally position coaches). So he has no incentive to leave and why would he willingly leave play calling DC for a nonplaycalling position coach job?

The demotion makes that no longer a consideration. He has no incentive to stay. As I said Miami COULD try to argue that it doesn't owe him the money but the whole point was to get him to leave without having to pay a 700k buyout.

Advertisement
It's easy to do when your employer gives you blank checks. It's a great move, but do you think UM would have done this for Shannon or Golden? Things have changed. I'm glad they have, but still, this fan needs to see on field success. THAT is what determines success.

I still don't see Manny as a guy the team fears or respects, regardless of his offseason moves. Again, those are easy compared to getting a team ready to play.

If they didn’t respect him guys would be flooding the portal, juniors wouldn’t be making choices to return and leaders like Jordan wouldn’t be recruiting friends like Bubba.

Not to mention the coaches and recruits coming in.

If they didn’t respect him guys would be flooding the portal, juniors wouldn’t be making choices to return and leaders like Jordan wouldn’t be recruiting friends like Bubba.

Not to mention the coaches and recruits coming in.

It's come to the point now that porsters would rather look silly and foolish by digging in their heels and doubling down on their easily debunked drivel rather than taking an L and admitting they were wrong.

Math done.

Baker is Manny's boy going back to graduate assistant days. He wouldn't publicly humiliate him if he knew he had another gig lined up. Plus, if this was in the works for weeks (while LSU didn't even have a DC) and Manny knew about it, then he's shot his credibility even more by putting on an entire show when he could've just let it play out. The school put out a press release... Manny did multiple interviews about the new situation... All pretending this was a real thing, when they knew Baker was going to LSU??? A bit unnecessary and a ridiculous level of subterfuge for a guy who you know had something concrete in the works.

I'll stick with Poker player. But as I said, I'm just happy he's gone and we're upgrading. I don't really care how it happened.

Just because people know each other and have worked together in the past, doesn’t mean they are boys. How do people get these simplistic grade school ideas?

In the business world, there’s no such thing as boys, they’re grown *** men, and everybody has to watch out for themselves. It’s all business.

That’s what happens when you grow up and leave the streets, when you leave grade school, have a family and a reputation to take care off.

That’s called the real world. There’s no such thing as “boys“. That is street code bullshlt for people that never grow up and continue to live in la-la land, and it doesn’t exist for grown men taking care of business. There’s only blood - your family.

Advertisement
Back