Bob Shoop to Miami

The purse strings definitely seem to have loosened a bit in recent times. Would be interesting to hear how that finally effing started to happen. This is especially apparent in the "auxiliary" type of staff. I mean now we have two legit coaches in Shoop and Stroud that aren't even in on-field positions.
Maybe because it is just not Manny's job on line but James' as well.

Advertisement
I think it started with hiring Richt, honestly. They wanted to get him a good OC, but he declined and walked away. UM, from all I have heard, was ready to get him some help. They've continued it under Diaz, and amped it up. Good for UM. Now, Manny just needs to become the leader UM hopes he can be.
I was literally just thinking that re: Rick. Imagine if he had just taken advantage on the offensive side of the ball with what what we've seen recently in terms of financial flexibility with hires.

Advertisement
Going back to LAST SEASON one of the few things I gave Manny credit for was being a forward thinker and being adaptable.

But we are kidding ourselves here: If LSU doesn't hire Baker, where are we? He should've been let go the day after the bowl game. We were seriously going to enter into next season with the demoted DC on staff still.

But who cares! Luck? Manny being assertive? idgaf. Baker is gone and we're getting a competent defensive staff. That's all that matters.

Manny was probably factoring in the potential cost of that which would have meant having to pay the buy out while at the same time opening the checkbook to get TRob and Simpson… patience is a virtue. But it was clear that Baker was a dead man walking at UM.

Advertisement
I'd reallllly like to believe that.
as fast as James made that hire without even apparently giving consideration to other possible candidates (e.g. Cristobal who may have been available at the time and had some internal support) it is make or break.

Advertisement
Going back to LAST SEASON one of the few things I gave Manny credit for was being a forward thinker and being adaptable.

But we are kidding ourselves here: If LSU doesn't hire Baker, where are we? He should've been let go the day after the bowl game. We were seriously going to enter into next season with the demoted DC on staff still.

But who cares! Luck? Manny being assertive? idgaf. Baker is gone and we're getting a competent defensive staff. That's all that matters.

Baker to LSU, has probably been in the works for a while, possibly weeks.

Chess, not checkers.

Do you think this just came together over the last couple of days? I seriously doubt that.

Advertisement
Being an analyst isn't as surprising when you consider the factors. the guy moves around a lot, he isnt' too tied to one location, most contracts have buy out language when you get fired and they will terminate for other on-field coaching jobs, Bama gets a lot of these guys to be analysts because someone else is paying them buy-out money, it is off-set by a moderate salary, then after a year or so they have some Bama juice to go get a gig elsewhere. Charlie Strong did this last year. Unless Shoops is looking to semi-retire and Miami (school and locale) seems like a good place, or he thinks he may have an ultimate shot at DC next year, he may just be a year or two then jump to his next big gig or he could just be cashing checks from Michigan, wants to have a low key year in an off field role, make bank and chill for a little.
Kirby trying to do it now, too...

It's easy to do when your employer gives you blank checks. It's a great move, but do you think UM would have done this for Shannon or Golden? Things have changed. I'm glad they have, but still, this fan needs to see on field success. THAT is what determines success.

I still don't see Manny as a guy the team fears or respects, regardless of his offseason moves. Again, those are easy compared to getting a team ready to play.
I disagree with you about respect. I don't think you have to fear someone to respect them. He's a "player's coach" - how many times have we heard transfer players say it? Even TRob mentioned that Manny is very trustworthy - that's a big deal with players, too.

Advertisement
Back