Bob Shoop to Miami

Advertisement
someone educate me on the scope and limits of an analyst in CFB please... Can they be on-field or present during practices? watching from afar? are they active in D meetings? game day from the box, communicating with D coaches?

Baker to LSU, has probably been in the works for a while, possibly weeks.

Chess, not checkers.

Do you think this just came together over the last couple of days? I seriously doubt that.
Absolutely prepared to be wrong, but yes, I do think it came together in the last couple of days, and I say that as someone who gives Manny his props for making changes when he does. If it was in the works they could've simply waited instead of saying he was demoted.

Manny ain't a chess player. He's a poker guy.

someone educate me on the scope and limits of an analyst in CFB please... Can they be on-field or present during practices? watching from afar? are they active in D meetings? game day from the box, communicating with D coaches?
i believe they can do everything but recruit and be on the sidelines or in the box, not sure about the box though

Advertisement
Absolutely prepared to be wrong, but yes, I do think it came together in the last couple of days, and I say that as someone who gives Manny his props for making changes when he does. If it was in the works they could've simply waited instead of saying he was demoted.

I’m going to go with chess, and that that Baker was maneuvered into this. He was demoted, and basically publicly humiliated. That position at LSU didn’t just come open a couple of days ago, so there’s that.

Baker has an agent in case you didn’t know. Agents never stop working for their clients. Everyone knows that including Manny. Do the math.

i believe they can do everything but recruit and be on the sidelines or in the box, not sure about the box though
I saw Butch Jones on the sidelines during some Bama games this year, kinda like Ed Reed. I think they can’t wear a headset is the limitations they have. I could be wrong though.

Advertisement
(applauding) Very good move, Manny. I'd prefer a true DC hire, but I like the idea of a proven defensive mind who can assist with the schemes and analysis. He will be able to see things that Manny and others won't.

Now just get someone to help upgrade the LB productivity and we'll be in a good position.

jimmy fallon rap GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I’m going to go with chess, and that that Baker was maneuvered into this. He was demoted, and basically publicly humiliated. That position at LSU didn’t just come open a couple of days ago, so there’s that.

Baker has an agent in case you didn’t know. Agents never stop working for their clients. Everyone knows that including Manny. Do the math.
Math done.

Baker is Manny's boy going back to graduate assistant days. He wouldn't publicly humiliate him if he knew he had another gig lined up. Plus, if this was in the works for weeks (while LSU didn't even have a DC) and Manny knew about it, then he's shot his credibility even more by putting on an entire show when he could've just let it play out. The school put out a press release... Manny did multiple interviews about the new situation... All pretending this was a real thing, when they knew Baker was going to LSU??? A bit unnecessary and a ridiculous level of subterfuge for a guy who you know had something concrete in the works.

I'll stick with Poker player. But as I said, I'm just happy he's gone and we're upgrading. I don't really care how it happened.

Advertisement
Advertisement

As I said in another post, offset contract language typically requires a comparable position. Let's say Baker made 700k at Miami as the playcalling DC and isn't demoted. If Baker leaves to be a playcalling DC at Houston for 400k, Miami has to make up the 300k. If he voluntarily goes from playcalling DC to a non playcalling LB coach at Minnesota for 400k, Miami can argue he didn't made a good faith effort to find a a comparable position so they don't owe him the full offset (because if looked for a playcalling DC job, then it would have made him closer to 700k and cost Miami less out pocket). That doesn't benefit Miami because now they are stuck waiting on Baker to find another playcalling DC job (the flip side of good faith is that the school has to give him a chance to find a comparable job). Could take weeks, months, or not happen at all. Miami can't make a move- either they wait while Baker looks for other DC jobs or they flush 700k down the toilet by firing him. Baker's not going leave the job as a playcalling DC to take a lower non play calling position coach job voluntarily.

However, since he was demoted, his comparable position is now that of a non-playcalling position coach. Baker would have a hard time making the case that no program in the country has interest in him as a position coach. Remember, he's making 700k as a nonplaycalling LB coach at Miami- that is exceptionally high. He doesn't HAVE to leave and could stay at Miami to collect the full amount. Obviously that looks really bad on him as recruits and other coaches would know he had job stripped away and is only sticking around for the paycheck. He's early in his career so his reputation matters a lot for future jobs. Now there is no reason for him to stick around at Miami as a demoted position coach- it served its purpose by pushing him out the door much faster as he's not restricted to looking for play-calling DC jobs. Miami COULD argue they don't owe him the full offset, but we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot- it's more likely both sides agreed on a fair buyout. Instead of owing him 700k for firing him, Miami merely owes him the offset (or possibly even less if they reached an agreement). That means, at minimum, Miami saved 400k by demoting him (and pushing him out the door) instead of firing him as soon as the season ended.

Advertisement
Back