Blue Chip Ratio

I sound silly? He has one of the top 3 best rosters money can buy and he only has 1 SEC title with CMRs players. Do you think he is really some sort of "ace" recruiter or good coach? Or do they just spend to try and compete? If they had Jimbo, UGA would have 2 titles by now. If they had anyone but Kirby they probably win one of the games they choked away.

I see how you gloss over the fact that his coaching decisions have led to him blowing leads in games that mattered (remember the justin fields fake punt?). How about his elite roster management that has let his teams suck offensively? What about his decisions to hire Jim Cheney and james Coley as OCs. Isn't that the definition of a corch? How many more examples do you need?

Go worship at the feet of Kirby who has won......NOTHING with a STACKED roster and maybe the 2nd to 3rd easiest division in the game. Keep capping for a dude who hasn't won anything relevant with a roster that is top 3 in college the last 5 years.
Lmao so who are your top 5 coaches in the game RN??

“He won with CMR players” 😂..bruh wtf..do u real follow the sport or are u just talking out your *** rn?? “Do they just spend and try and compete”😂Yes..you sound silly calling a coach whose 55-14 a “corch”. He is at ******* UGA. It’s not like he took over a factory CMR had on auto pilot and was handed the keys. He didn’t win at UGA until year 2 and has been in the natty, multiple Conference titles and annual top 10 finishes each year since.

Just because a program puts money behind a coach doesn’t mean they will win big. See Tenn. see Texas. See Michigan. Etc etc. it’s CFB. It’s a bottom line business.

And bottomline is his record is what it says it is. He’s one of the elite coaches in the business rn. I believe he’s in year 6..1 conference title (toughest conference in CFB regardless of the hate) 3 conference title appearance and 1 NCG lost to Bama in OT..calling any coach with that resume a “corch” should ban you from all Football discussions..it’s like idiots who say Tom Brady or Bill belichck are overrated. Just nonsensical CIS talk..matter of fact Maudes this guy deserves timeout from all football discussions for at least a month.

Advertisement
UW has long had very strong recruiting ties with SoCal even long preceding the Don James era when they dominated the PAC10/12. That's not news.

As for CFB game attendance even with their daily showers and pro sports teams, UW's game attendance puts ours to shame

Recruiting and attendance don't make a program. That's not news.

Where you at in the PNW? My fiancé and I are looking to move to that area once she’s done with NP school in a couple of years. It’s just gorgeous out there.

I'm in Portland now. It is absolutely gorgeous out here, and by that I mean basically all of Cascadia (NorCal up to Bellingham, WA). You can be skiing in an hour or surfing in two hours. It never really gets all that cold (unless you're at high elevations), it cools off at night during the summer, the rain isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The only thing that really gets me is the darkness in the winter, which is much more serious than it seems.

Feel free to DM me for more details.

Advertisement
Lost me a bit here. Put a shotgun in his mouth in a bedroom over the garage?

I'm not gonna go into all the details on this board, nor am I by any means a conspiracy theorist. There are tremendous, tremendous inconsistencies/issues surrounding the death. Including the amount of heroin found in his bloodstream, the landing spot of the shotgun shell, and the highly questionable ability of Cobain to pull the trigger while it was in his mouth (he was like 5'6). His shoes were on when he died, so he couldn't have pulled it with his feet.

He also was on record multiple times before he died saying Courtney Love was trying to kill him. And that ***** is about 50x more evil than Skylar White and Cersei Lannister combined.

I was bored so I calculated what our blue chip ratio could be next season. Obviously guys can still transfer out and in but as it stands now we are looking at a 52% blue chip ratio when you round to the nearest %. Up from 49% last season. Was 51% Manny’s first season in 2019.
I used transfer ranking for transfers so Rambo=3 star and King=4 star. I didn’t include walk ons who got scholarships because I don’t have a full list of those guys.
52% would have us at 14th last season behind Washington and ahead of USC.
IMO the blue chip ratio is a bit over-rated and misunderstood.

Sure, the top teams have the best players, and the top teams have really high blue chip ratios, so put those together and you can infer what you want.

However, the real question is what it says closer to the middle of the pack (teams 10-25). Those teams have very very few 5* kids, and 4* as a cut-off is quite rough for a lot of reasons.

Also, the ratio of 4/5 to 2/3 completely ignores empty roster spots. You can improve your blue-chip ratio by holding spots empty, but that's a terrible strategy. It's also what UM has effectively done for years by operating below 85 recruited scholarship kids.

I am not crapping on the discussion but do think people over-think this stuff. We don't need more 4* kids nearly as much as we need much better evals. IMO.

We don't need more 4* kids nearly as much as we need much better evals. IMO.

There's also a big problem with the star system as it relates to evals as it's MUCH more inclined to evaluate on-field talent vs. everything off-field that makes for a great football player. I seriously don't think the nerds at 24/7 are any better at evaluating talent on film than anyone on our staff. But they have nowhere near the access to the local players to understand how they behave, study film, lift weights, attend class and generally be decent, productive human beings as do our coaching staff.

We've seen over and over again through the years that talent will only get you so far, and if you don't have your head on straight, really won't matter at the next level.

I am not crapping on the discussion but do think people over-think this stuff. We don't need more 4* kids nearly as much as we need much better evals. IMO.
It’s one in the same. Blue chip ratio is just one way of looking at it, not end all be all. Yes, you need elite talent. But you also need the right 4 and 5 stars and at the right positions. FSU was well over the blue chip ratio while putting garbage on the field. It’s like a starter conversation to a deeper dive.

Advertisement
It’s one in the same. Blue chip ratio is just one way of looking at it, not end all be all. Yes, you need elite talent. But you also need the right 4 and 5 stars and at the right positions. FSU was well over the blue chip ratio while putting garbage on the field. It’s like a starter conversation to a deeper dive.
I don’t think it’s one ams the same at all.

As between a 3* kid and a 4* kid, I say take the better one based on your (hopefully good) evals. Do not just tale the higher rated one.

if you evaluate well, eventually you’ll win more and have higher rated kids as options. Your recruits will also get ratings bumps because sites will see you as good at evaluating. Evals drove winning and winning drives the blue chip ration. It’s the tail, not the dog.

Do we have the ratio of blue chips over the years. I would like to see how far we’ve come

IMO the blue chip ratio is a bit over-rated and misunderstood.

Sure, the top teams have the best players, and the top teams have really high blue chip ratios, so put those together and you can infer what you want.

However, the real question is what it says closer to the middle of the pack (teams 10-25). Those teams have very very few 5* kids, and 4* as a cut-off is quite rough for a lot of reasons.

Also, the ratio of 4/5 to 2/3 completely ignores empty roster spots. You can improve your blue-chip ratio by holding spots empty, but that's a terrible strategy. It's also what UM has effectively done for years by operating below 85 recruited scholarship kids.

I’m not a huge fan of worrying about being 50% or higher because the teams that win championships are like 70% or higher the past few years. As for a smaller roster improving your ratio that’s true but I don’t think that happens. What coach is intentionally staying under 85 because they want a higher blue chip ratio? That doesn’t happen.
Really what I think it’s good for is it’s the best objective way to compare your roster to others.

Cincinnati is the lowest of the top 10 teams. Not sure exactly where they are tho. LSU at 63% finishing I ranked is probably the worst of the top teams.
You also have to weigh schedule when having the “who does most with less” discussion. Every year there’s some lower level programs who crack the rankings based on their impressive win/loss record against weaker competition. Last year LSU and Texas both struggled despite having some of the highest blue chip ratios but what if they had played Cincinnati’s or Coastal Carolina’s schedule? They almost assuredly would have had much better seasons. To me, the guys doing the most with the least are the guys who manage to pull great seasons at P5 programs who are normally terrible. If you can pull a top 25 season at a school like Indiana or Kentucky where you have significantly less talent than almost everyone on your schedule, that says something.

Advertisement
There's also a big problem with the star system as it relates to evals as it's MUCH more inclined to evaluate on-field talent vs. everything off-field that makes for a great football player. I seriously don't think the nerds at 24/7 are any better at evaluating talent on film than anyone on our staff. But they have nowhere near the access to the local players to understand how they behave, study film, lift weights, attend class and generally be decent, productive human beings as do our coaching staff.

We've seen over and over again through the years that talent will only get you so far, and if you don't have your head on straight, really won't matter at the next level.
is there a site that correlates star ranking and who gets drafted/UFDA?

one would think, if evals were valid (to a degree), 5* recruits would wind up in NFL at highest percentage.

im just too lazy to look.

is there a site that correlates star ranking and who gets drafted/UFDA?

one would think, if evals were valid (to a degree), 5* recruits would wind up in NFL at highest percentage.

im just too lazy to look.
I don’t have a link but I know I’ve seen the numbers because it’s been brought up here before. In terms of draftees, the percentage rankings correlate with the star rankings.

In 4 of the last 5 years we've averaged 12.5 4/5* recruits a year.
The clunker was '19 with 7.
Consistency is key.
We'll get a 6% bump in a few years when the '19 class moves on, assuming we can keep recruiting at a top-ten level.

Our floor should be top 10-12 with a top 5 flirts every 3-4 years.
That would put around #8 in roster rankings
It's no surprise that the blue chip ratio closely aligns with these rankings.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I sound silly? He has one of the top 3 best rosters money can buy and he only has 1 SEC title with CMRs players. Do you think he is really some sort of "ace" recruiter or good coach? Or do they just spend to try and compete? If they had Jimbo, UGA would have 2 titles by now. If they had anyone but Kirby they probably win one of the games they choked away.

I see how you gloss over the fact that his coaching decisions have led to him blowing leads in games that mattered (remember the justin fields fake punt?). How about his elite roster management that has let his teams suck offensively? What about his decisions to hire Jim Cheney and james Coley as OCs. Isn't that the definition of a corch? How many more examples do you need?

Go worship at the feet of Kirby who has won......NOTHING with a STACKED roster and maybe the 2nd to 3rd easiest division in the game. Keep capping for a dude who hasn't won anything relevant with a roster that is top 3 in college the last 5 years.
Kirby has SIGNIFICANTLY underperformed vs expectations.

This goes to what we see on the gator boards. The overwhelming concern is stars. They were overjoyed to get Lingard and his 5 stars and has he been criticized much for not producing at all? We complain about Pope daily and his pure stats aren't terrible. It's the drops at critical times that kill him as much as anything.

Lmao so who are your top 5 coaches in the game RN??

“He won with CMR players” 😂..bruh wtf..do u real follow the sport or are u just talking out your *** rn?? “Do they just spend and try and compete”😂Yes..you sound silly calling a coach whose 55-14 a “corch”. He is at ******* UGA. It’s not like he took over a factory CMR had on auto pilot and was handed the keys. He didn’t win at UGA until year 2 and has been in the natty, multiple Conference titles and annual top 10 finishes each year since.

Just because a program puts money behind a coach doesn’t mean they will win big. See Tenn. see Texas. See Michigan. Etc etc. it’s CFB. It’s a bottom line business.

And bottomline is his record is what it says it is. He’s one of the elite coaches in the business rn. I believe he’s in year 6..1 conference title (toughest conference in CFB regardless of the hate) 3 conference title appearance and 1 NCG lost to Bama in OT..calling any coach with that resume a “corch” should ban you from all Football discussions..it’s like idiots who say Tom Brady or Bill belichck are overrated. Just nonsensical CIS talk..matter of fact Maudes this guy deserves timeout from all football discussions for at least a month.
Top 5
Saban
Dabo
Jimbo
Day
Fitzgerald
Chryst
Lincoln
Gundy
Mack
Mullen
All of those are better coaches than Kirby. Kirby sucks because he has VASTLY underperformed my man, but go ahead and keep on slurping a loser who has made coaching decisions to lose his team the game in BIG GAMES. Maybe you think beating the **** out of sorry SEC east teams and making it to an SEC title game with 80% blue chip ratio for about 5 years is a good accomplishment. That is actually the definition of doing less with more. But maybe you're just dumb and can't understand it.

You make it seem like UGA was some kind of dormant team under CMR and you make it sound like they had no talent and Kirby lifted them out of the doledrums. Who's the fuggin moron who doesn't watch any college football now. I bet when Kirby took over he had a top 10 roster. Think about when he took UGA to the title game and **** down his leg. Who were the running backs on that team? Who were the dbacks and DL on that team. Who recruited those players? Lets see if you're smart enough to have the answer

And he is a corch because with amazing players, a real coach would have closed out 1 of the games that mattered, but hey lets crown someone because they went to the title game and got smashed up, lets crown him because he got close. What a loser.

Kirby has SIGNIFICANTLY underperformed vs expectations.
He absolutely has. i mean he ****ED away golden opportunities to put his name in amongst the elites. The SEC game where they had Bama on the ropes and let them off because he ran a fake punt that everyone knew was a fake because he put Fields in as the PP. Next play BAM, touchdown Bama, momentum gone and back to Bama, game over.

The title game they ****ed away a 2 touchdown lead because they played not to lose instead of to win. Those are both COACHING decisions. It's not like Kirby has to outscheme anyone, which he hasn't outschemed an opponet in his life. He's just had to show up with a massive talent advantage. Kirby is a fraud and after a few more years of multi million dollar roosters and no titles he'll probably get canned.

Advertisement
Back