Blue Chip Ratio

I’ve always wondered, wouldn’t it make more sense to just count total blue chip recruits?

Using the blue chip ratio “rewards” a team that has 40 blue chips out of 80 scholarships versus a team that has 40 blue chips out of 85. I’d much rather be the second team with the lower ratio.

Advertisement
I’ve always wondered, wouldn’t it make more sense to just count total blue chip recruits?

Using the blue chip ratio “rewards” a team that has 40 blue chips out of 80 scholarships versus a team that has 40 blue chips out of 85. I’d much rather be the second team with the lower ratio.
Interesting thought but I think most teams are around the same roster size that it doesn’t matter. But we are at 46 blue chips to 43 not right now.

@Matthew_Suero Did you happen to do it for the other teams in the ACC or just the coastal? If you did can you post those results? how about the all female school in Tallahassee?

@Matthew_Suero Did you happen to do it for the other teams in the ACC or just the coastal? If you did can you post those results? how about the all female school in Tallahassee?
I haven’t but if I have time I’ll look into it. I know FSU was at 49% last season but they are dropping fast. They were at 60% in 2019 I think

Advertisement
UW has an advantage that many schools don't have- it's a good academic school with a good football program in a major city. Chris Peterson was also incredibly underrated recruiter. UW went from being in the teens in blue chip ratio to above 50% in only a handful of years and he also developed that talent well. Maybe some fans here are too young to remember when Boise State was a giant-killer.

In terms of "what could have beens"- rumor is that Peterson was one of Miami's top candidates after Coker and even flew him to Miami for interviews, but he decided against moving out of the PNW (a big reason is that he had a sick kid and it would be tough on him). I wonder what Miami would have turned into if Peterson had decided to take the job and got hired instead of Shannon.

Washington is a good football program?

Since when?

How the **** has Washington recruited so well? I lived in Seattle and the surrounding area for five years and am still in the PNW. Nobody gives a rat's *** about college football up here.

Yes, Washington alums go to games. But besides Saturdays they really don't care about the team.

Also, Seattle is full of limp-wristed pussies.
I lasted 10 months in Seattle. My only hope to making it somewhat enjoyable was randomly running into Ed Vedder. After 10 months I gave up. Never found Edward. To be fair, people thought I was an alien. Boston dude living in Belltown did not really work.

Advertisement
Have you been to Seattle recently?

Street people and face piercing capital of the world.

I moved from close to Seattle four months ago and lived within city limits for about a year.

This is like saying Miami is full of drug kingpins.

Not all of Seattle is Capitol Hill and not all of Miami is South Beach dude.

Trust me. The Microsoft and Google kids are much, much more representative of the populace than the street kids.

I lasted 10 months in Seattle. My only hope to making it somewhat enjoyable was randomly running into Ed Vedder. After 10 months I gave up. Never found Edward. To be fair, people thought I was an alien. Boston dude living in Belltown did not really work.

That's right about how long I lasted. And very, very much the same coming from eight years in Manhattan. After a month of passive aggressive limp-wristed Teva-wearing macha drinking organic-living woke bull$#!+ I was really hoping someone would tell me to F@#% off just because.

They're all little princesses who think they're "special" because their parents told them so.

they made the playoffs the first year i believe

Great. How many seasons have they finished in the top 10?

They have two claimed rings and one is shared with us. Their best player is Warren Moon.

They're a big state school with a ton of resources in a big city and have done all of that with it. Miss me with Washington being a good program. They're about as relevant historically as South Carolina.

Advertisement
I moved from close to Seattle four months ago and lived within city limits for about a year.

This is like saying Miami is full of drug kingpins.

Not all of Seattle is Capitol Hill and not all of Miami is South Beach dude.

Trust me. The Microsoft and Google kids are much, much more representative of the populace than the street kids.

I’m not saying that it’s all like that.

Seattle just has a certain vibe, and that’s part of it. Every city has its thing. There’s also a shlt ton of money in Seattle. I have close people that work for the behemoth, I know.

Unfortunately right now there really are a lot of street people in Seattle and I don’t think that’s anything anybody can deny. And they do attract a lot of antisocial/anarchist type kids, just like Portland. It doesn’t mean it’s even 10% of the population or even 2%. But they are there, probably more than in other cities.

I like Seattle don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful. Especially as a gateway to other beautiful areas in Washington, and other places I like, such as Vancouver and that general area too.

I also like the Oregon coast a lot.

But again like I was saying, every city has its own character and that’s part of my perception of Seattle’s character. I mean it’s where grunge rock got started decades ago, which makes sense to me. I mean, can you see grunge rock ever having started in the city like Miami? Of course not. Cities are almost like people in a sense. They have their own personalities.

How the **** has Washington recruited so well? I lived in Seattle and the surrounding area for five years and am still in the PNW. Nobody gives a rat's *** about college football up here.

Yes, Washington alums go to games. But besides Saturdays they really don't care about the team.

Also, Seattle is full of limp-wristed pussies.
Check out the stories about the testosterone levels in Seattle males and you will understand how right you are...

I’m not saying that it’s all like that.

Seattle just has a certain vibe, and that’s part of it. Every city has its thing. There’s also a shlt ton of money in Seattle. I have close people that work for the behemoth, I know.

Unfortunately right now there really are a lot of street people in Seattle and I don’t think that’s anything anybody can deny. And they do attract a lot of antisocial/anarchist type kids, just like Portland. It doesn’t mean it’s even 10% of the population or even 2%. But they are there, probably more than in other cities.

I like Seattle don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful. Especially as a gateway to other beautiful areas in Washington, and other places I like, such as Vancouver and that general area too.

I also like the Oregon coast a lot.

But again like I was saying, every city has its own character and that’s part of my perception of Seattle’s character. I mean it’s where grunge rock got started decades ago, which makes sense to me. I mean, can you see grunge rock ever having started in the city like Miami? Of course not. Cities are almost like people in a sense. They have their own personalities.

What you're saying isn't unfair, but you're also admitting it's under 2% of the population. And people in Seattle are just not like that, by and large. I moved there from NYC, which has it's own reputation, and where punk rock was born. And even though I lived and mostly hung out around the East Village, you sure weren't seeing guys in studded leather jackets on the regular. Nor was I hanging out with wise guys. It's mostly a city full of suit and tie types and stupid amounts of money.

I think you're speaking to outside perception over reality. The reality in Seattle is much closer to the Seattle freeze. People are distant, aloof and generally not affable or outgoing. And, in my experience, the guys there are mostly little boys who have no idea how to act like men, dress themselves, behave around women, bust balls or handle confrontation. It's funny you mention grunge, because the poster child for the genre, Kurt Cobain, was exactly the type of person I'm talking about. He was a soft, small, feeble person, by all accounts. And it's a big reason Courtney Love had him murdered.

I'm in Portland now, and that has a similar reputation (at present), and couldn't be further from reality. Yeah, people can be grungy and tattooed, but are mostly nice, wholesome, friendly, intelligent people. And let's be fair, people who riot are the biggest pussies on earth. They take advantage of the relative anonymity in crowds to express themselves violently because they can't stand on their own two feet otherwise.

Advertisement
Check out the stories about the testosterone levels in Seattle males and you will understand how right you are...

Funny I think I've heard about that. I'd bet it has a lot to do with the darkness and gloomy weather. I was just having a conversation about that with a friend today.

Having lived in Florida the majority of my life up to and through college, then going to Miami, seasonal affective disorder is a very real thing.

What you're saying isn't unfair, but you're also admitting it's under 2% of the population. And people in Seattle are just not like that, by and large. I moved there from NYC, which has it's own reputation, and where punk rock was born. And even though I lived and mostly hung out around the East Village, you sure weren't seeing guys in studded leather jackets on the regular. Nor was I hanging out with wise guys. It's mostly a city full of suit and tie types and stupid amounts of money.

I think you're speaking to outside perception over reality. The reality in Seattle is much closer to the Seattle freeze. People are distant, aloof and generally not affable or outgoing. And, in my experience, the guys there are mostly little boys who have no idea how to act like men, dress themselves, behave around women, bust balls or handle confrontation. It's funny you mention grunge, because the poster child for the genre, Kurt Cobain, was exactly the type of person I'm talking about. He was a soft, small, feeble person, by all accounts. And it's a big reason Courtney Love had him murdered.

I'm in Portland now, and that has a similar reputation (at present), and couldn't be further from reality. Yeah, people can be grungy and tattooed, but are mostly nice, wholesome, friendly, intelligent people. And let's be fair, people who riot are the biggest pussies on earth. They take advantage of the relative anonymity in crowds to express themselves violently because they can't stand on their own two feet otherwise.
Lost me a bit here. Put a shotgun in his mouth in a bedroom over the garage?

If south Florida was what out of townwers think, I would have moved away a long time ago.

Last edited:
I was bored so I calculated what our blue chip ratio could be next season. Obviously guys can still transfer out and in but as it stands now we are looking at a 52% blue chip ratio when you round to the nearest %. Up from 49% last season. Was 51% Manny’s first season in 2019.
I used transfer ranking for transfers so Rambo=3 star and King=4 star. I didn’t include walk ons who got scholarships because I don’t have a full list of those guys.
52% would have us at 14th last season behind Washington and ahead of USC.
Im too lazy so will ask:

What top 10 team from last season had the lowest blue chip ratio?

What team that finished outside the top 10 had the highest?

Advertisement
Back