Blake James went on the Joe Rose Show on WQAM on Thursday morning

Advertisement
I totally agree it sounds like he’s letting Mark make the changes and that translates to nothing changing. It’s so frustrating that this puppet oversees all our sports

To be fair, I don't expect Blake to publicly tell everyone what he plans on doing, or really any AD for that matter. I mention the latter, because the former really wouldn't tell Richt anything because he doesn't strike me as a competent AD.

In other words, nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Flake "Winnie the Pooh voice" James all Bark, no Bite.
You can't run a freaking program where you demand the coach make changes after one bad year when he was in the ACC championship the year before. Its not how the real world works. And its the surest way to ensuring you never get another quality coach in your program again. Lets grow up a little and realize this isn't video games. If he doesnt make changes and the slide continues, then he should pay for it however with his job.....thats the real world too

Advertisement
To be fair, I don't expect Blake to publicly tell everyone what he plans on doing, or really any AD for that matter. I mention the latter, because the former really wouldn't tell Richt anything because he doesn't strike me as a competent AD.

What "plan"?

If there was a real plan, Golden wouldn't have been retained beyond 2013.

If there was a real plan, Richt would have never been hired.

If there was a real plan, Richt would have never been given an unnecessary extension.

There is no "plan:. There is a self-inflicted cancer approach. I guess that is some type of "plan".

Flake: There is no better person than Golden; Mork; the next one; ad nauseam.

Flake: There is no better person than Golden; Mork; the next one; ad nauseam.

Said a lot about our AD that right after the 58-0 drudging to Clemson that Blake said that he still had confidence in Al Golden. Than later on that afternoon he was fired. Blake's not calling the shots. He's just a guy to trot out there to get money and shake hands. The BOT needs to get rid of Richt AND Blake James. Get a real AD first so he can do research on the right candidate for Miami to hire as HC; not rely on some hiring firm that doesn't have a pulse on the program.

Advertisement
After a handful of questions into the interview, James was asked if he would be willing to suggest staff changes to Richt if he felt like it needed to be done.

His response: “I would talk with the coach about what we are looking at and what needs to change,” James said. “I am not going to get into what we need in his assistants. Whether it is the head coach, or the athletic director, or anything, you have to identify in the real world the strengths that you need around you and what you need on your team. We will have conversations about the things we are looking at and what we can do different. You ask all sorts of questions as to what is the right fit, but it is not my role to get into saying hey this assistant coach or this assistant coach or we should be doing things this way. That is up to the head coach and we have one that has a long history of being able to figure those things out at a very successful level.”

When those meetings do occur, James says he will make it clear to Richt that he will do whatever he can to support the football program in terms of resources.

“As the athletic director, what do I need to do to support them in their efforts? My job is to help support the coaches to be in the best position to have success and I will talk with Mark about if there is things we need to do as a program to give them something that we don’t have right now to put it to the next level,” James said.

James is confident that Richt will make the right decisions as the leader of the football program to get the UM program back on track.

“There is not a better person than Mark,” James said. “We are blessed as a university to have great people who are great leaders that are leading our programs. All of them are competitive. They want to win and win against the very best. Mark is vocal with me on things he needs in order to win and I hate losing and I do everything I can to make sure I give our programs the resources that they need.”

After starting the 2018 season ranked as the No. 8 team in the country in preseason polls, the Hurricanes are currently 5-5 and fighting for bowl eligibility with games at Virginia Tech and at home against Pittsburgh on the schedule.

James remains hopeful that Miami can end the season on a strong note.

“I don’t think with where we are at now, it is not a secret that everything has not gone as planned,” James said. “There was high hopes from the fans to Mark, myself, and all the guys on the team. Any time you go out, you want to win. We haven’t won the way that we wanted to this year. With that being said, the guys are fighting their way through. We have two games coming up in the next two weeks and I’m confident the guys will be ready to go. I am confident the guys will play their best and hopefully come out with two victories and hopefully end up in a good bowl situation and close the year on a positive note.

“Any time things don’t go as planned, you have to look at things and at the end of the year we will talk about what type of changes have to be made in order for us to achieve at a higher level. Those are things that Mark is looking at and is ongoing. We don’t look at things until the end, you want to address things as soon as you can. I know Mark wants to win this week and win next week and with that said we will talk about the end of the year about the big picture and what we need to do differently.”

Maybe it's just me trying to find a piece of hope but i read that article as Blake James basically saying he's holding Richt 110% responsible for anything that happens with the program and hes going to give him everything he needs so there is no excuses if and when he has to fire his ***. In other words Richt wont be able to say I wasnt successful because Blake made me do this or that. Blake is going to let Richt fall on his own sword.

Maybe it's just me trying to find a piece of hope but i read that article as Blake James basically saying he's holding Richt 110% responsible for anything that happens with the program and hes going to give him everything he needs so there is no excuses if and when he has to fire his ***. In other words Richt wont be able to say I wasnt successful because Blake made me do this or that. Blake is going to let Richt fall on his own sword.

Even though Blake is a puppet, who holds Blake responsible? Why is he even the AD?

He wasn't part of the plan. He fell as$backwards into the position. Does everyone remember his hiring?

Advertisement
"Right now, James said Richt is making short-term changes to try to snap Miami (5-5, 2-4 Atlantic Coast Conference) out of its four-game slide as it prepares to meet Virgina Tech (4-5, 3-3) on Saturday in Blacksburg, Virginia. "

Short term offense change for Sat:

1542301120097.png

Even though Blake is a puppet, who holds Blake responsible? Why is he even the AD?

He wasn't part of the plan. He fell as$backwards into the position. Does everyone remember his hiring?

Shalalalalallala was all about getting money. That's essentially why she put Flake in the position. That, and we lost two ADs I believe in the span of 18 months and she wanted more "stability" at the position.

reading between lines it sounds as if the money would be available to make the changes Richt sees fit as head coach (ie. he can hire a top flight OC if that what he feels he needs). You can't force assistants on the head coach and then make him responsible for how those assistants perform. Looks like Richt will get the time to make the changes and the resources he needs. Really up to Richt as it should be from a managerial standpoint. But money should not be an issue from the sound of it.

Advertisement
This interview overtly and clearly proves to me that Blake James doesn’t really care about our on-field football success unless and up until it impacts the money. If you notice he continues to stress making a bowl game only. That is his #1 priority—one more televised, paid game with sponsors, ads, and promotion opportunities. As long as Richt’s tenure doesn’t impact the bottom line $ then he’ll keep him. Only the numbers matter, Blake has on tight blinders where the doe is concerned. He believes that it’s all that matters in his job duties/responsibilities.

reading between lines it sounds as if the money would be available to make the changes Richt sees fit as head coach (ie. he can hire a top flight OC if that what he feels he needs). You can't force assistants on the head coach and then make him responsible for how those assistants perform. Looks like Richt will get the time to make the changes and the resources he needs. Really up to Richt as it should be from a managerial standpoint. But money should not be an issue from the sound of it.

David Yost makes $270k at Utah state as OC and has a top 5 offense. Bob Stitt earns $50k as an Off Analyst at Ok State, and I promise you he has forgotten more football than Thomas Brown who makes $600k as a OC / CMR's mouth piece. Money was never the problem for Coach Richt, bringing in Quality Coaches that can challenge his philosophy is/was the Question which is why Bryan McClendon chose to work for a maniac in South Carolina rather than follow Richt to Miami.

But I believe Blake will in private strongly suggest staff Changes to coach Richt.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back