Blake James named new AD

So , he 's a great guy, likes the area and the school, knows people in South Florida, isn't likely to leave, and has come up with practical solutions to issues that weren't addressed by his predecesors. That's all good, but is there anything else about him that suggests he can excel at this job? Not trying to start a war with this or disparage him, I sincerely hope he is the right choice, but I'm not seeing why this is the obvious choice. There aren't even any rumors that we contacted anyone else, (if they did have other interviews, I commend the administration for keeping it so quiet.)

Advertisement
Don't know enough about him to comment on his ability to get the job done. I appreciate his love of UM, but the job requires a lot more than that. He will need to be a MONSTER fund-raiser, and his number 1 priority should be getting us a stadium near campus. If he's not a monster fund-raiser and has no interest in getting a stadium deal done, then I couldn't give a f#ck about his purported love of UM.

Don't know enough about him to comment on his ability to get the job done. I appreciate his love of UM, but the job requires a lot more than that. He will need to be a MONSTER fund-raiser, and his number 1 priority should be getting us a stadium near campus. If he's not a monster fund-raiser and has no interest in getting a stadium deal done, then I couldn't give a f#ck about his purported love of UM.

Jorge Milian ‏@caneswatch
James said an on-campus stadium for UM "is not realistic."

James said nobody would like an on-campus stadium more than he would, but adds that the necessary land is not available at UM.

This.

James said nobody would like an on-campus stadium more than he would, but adds that the necessary land is not available at UM.

That's why I said "near campus". Tropical park or that general idea is perfectly feasible. New AD needs to find a way to get it done. ADs all over the country are getting stadiums built. I think Tulane did it recently. Baylor just did it. It's doable. I'm sick of the dumb excuses. That giant empty stadium on TV is killing our program. It's a national joke during broadcasts.

Advertisement
On 560, http://wqam.com/interviews

When asked on how to make the Athletic Department better, he specifically brought up nutrition.

'One area to look at, we need to look at nutrition....working on campus currently to finding a solution for that.'

Something that's been noted on for years is how lots of schools have nutritional consultants and Miami didn't.

Last edited:
So , he 's a great guy, likes the area and the school, knows people in South Florida, isn't likely to leave, and has come up with practical solutions to issues that weren't addressed by his predecesors. That's all good, but is there anything else about him that suggests he can excel at this job? Not trying to start a war with this or disparage him, I sincerely hope he is the right choice, but I'm not seeing why this is the obvious choice. There aren't even any rumors that we contacted anyone else, (if they did have other interviews, I commend the administration for keeping it so quiet.)

WTF else would you like him to do?

Negged for blatant stupidity.

Advertisement

Well hi Mrs. James. Nice of you to try out the boards.

Seriously, 4canes? How about show us that he is ready for the challenges of the job like those outlined in 'Chise's post. I don't think i have to remind you that Lawrence Coker loved UM and would not have left for another job voluntarily. We need more than that.

Excuse my ignorance.... why's everyone love James so much?

Guy loves the U and the city of Miami. Although he was an AD in Maine, he still had to work his way up through the system at Miami. He been through multiple departments handling various problems over a period of 10 years. He's not some ginger outsider who could give a crap.

SAWD

Advertisement

I already don't like the guy.

My thought exactly. Do you want him to cure world hunger?

Beat me to the punch. :)

Advertisement
Please provide us who are unsure of this hire a list of the "practical solutions to issues that weren't addressed by his predecessors" that James has accomplished. In its present state, that quoted section sounds like a Monty Burns award for "Outstanding Achievements in the Field of Excellence". Put some bones on that please, fellas.

Please explain the "stupidity"?

I don't care that he loves UM, that is not a qualification IMO to be given the "DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS" position. I love money, let me be in charge of a hedge fund.

This guy just needs to do three things

1. Put the program (Football, Basketball and Baseball etc.) in the best program to win. What does that mean? Give the coaches what they need to run their programs.

2. Bring in cash, bring in cash and bring in cash. Raise funds and fund raise. That is it, every day he should be doing this and bringing in money.

3. Our own football stadium. Nobody is saying that we need one in 2013 but how about a 5 year goal? How about a plan?

Unless he does all 3, I don't care how much he loves UM.

this might sound far-fetched, but the best thing for us to get our own stadium is to have FIU's athletics to keep melting down.

apparently, FIU's board is ****ed that their on campus stadium is half full at best. also, the FIU stadium is taking up precious room for expansion. if anyone has been to FIU recently, there's sooo much new construction going on and there's hardly room to park.

i'm hoping that the following scenarios happen

1: the pressure keeps building enough at FIU to tear down their own stadium.
2: UM throws in some money to help tear down the stadium
3: UM and FIU jointly pushes for a stadium at Tropical Park.

this isn't a completely "when pigs fly" kind of scenario, in fact, Shalala hinted about this a few months ago when I saw her during orientation.

anyone else have an idea how we can get a "nearby" stadium?

stadium in Coral Gables ain't happening and neither is bulldozing the 500 million dollar pile of **** desecrating the site of the Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Back