Blake James named new AD

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Per twitter

Good for him. At least we know he won't leave after a year

Advertisement
Funny how the best work we've seen at AD in years has come from an understudy who was supposed to be an interim replacement only. Amazing what you can do when you care about your job, are willing to work at it, and aren't full of ****.

Advertisement
Excuse my ignorance.... why's everyone love James so much?

I don't know much about him but I can see the benefit of having him to deal the clean up after the NCAA violation storm devastation. I am not sure how long he has been working with the AD department but if he has been here long time, being familiar with the ins and outs of the investigation and dealing with those NCAA scum bags then we are in a better position with him in charge.

Advertisement
Blake James has been out in the front for much of the problem solving for our football program. Seating issues, ticket & parking prices, etc... He's not a recluse like his former boss was. Great choice and he's well liked in the Miami community!

This is really great news for the program. Blake left Maine as the AD to come be an assistant AD at Miami because he and his family are Miami people. This is a guy we will not have to worry about leaving in 6 months.

He loves to be out in the public eye. He represents the school well. He even goes on the radio to discuss all things miami.

In my opinion he was the only choice for the job.

SIAP - Below the complete email sent to UM faculty members and I believe alumni also

The University of Miami announced today that Blake James has been hired as the new Director of Athletics. James has served as the interim Director of Athletics since October 2012.

"Blake James has proven that he has the experience, skills, leadership, and especially the love for the University that we need in Athletics," said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

Comprising 17 different sports, the UM Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is dedicated to developing and supporting the University's 400-plus student-athletes in their efforts to achieve personal, academic, and athletic excellence. UM student-athletes have won 21 team National Championships, 71 individual National Championships, and earned 400-plus All-America honors.

"Having spent more than nine years at the University of Miami, I understand what an honor and tremendous responsibility it is to serve as Director of Athletics," said James. "My passion for this institution, the students, the staff, and our fans, is matched only by my commitment to excellence in everything that we do. I want to thank President Shalala and the Board of Trustees for their support, and I look forward to many great days ahead at The U."

James returned to UM for the third time in 2010, after spending seven years at the University of Maine, the last five as the Director of Athletics.

During his tenure at Maine, athletics experienced tremendous success, including three trips to the Frozen Four for the men's ice hockey program and NCAA playoff berths for football, baseball (two), women's basketball, and softball. Additionally, James implemented a comprehensive $17 million facility improvement plan, which included an indoor practice facility and numerous other facility upgrades and renovations. Academically, the program flourished, earning the conference academic cup twice and maintaining better than a 3.0 GPA. Prior to his stint at Maine, he worked in athletics development at Providence College, where he established the "Friars Forever" campaign and the Friar Athletic Fund, as well as having spent two tenures at UM in ticket sales and development.

James holds a bachelor's degree in marketing from Minnesota State University- Mankato and a master's degree in sports management from St. Thomas University. He and his wife, Kelly, have two children, Haley and Ryan.

Advertisement
I wonder what the inside baseball info is on this pick.? Is he Goldens man or Donnas? Is he the real deal? How decent will he be when the need arises to find another head coach?

We all know that we desperately need stability in the AD but are we safe to assume that ths guy is a lifer? Or if some huge school in a big conference comes along will he leave us hanging? I mean, how embarrassing was it when Kirby left for Texas Tech when the bldg was on fire and Al was left holding the bag? That was shameful. I hope this guy is a long term far sighted choice. I'm sick of the tumult surrounding our programs.

Advertisement
Great hire, IMO. Dude has put in his time and is qualified. Everyone has to get wet somewhere, but his responsibilities as interim AD have been vast and he has done alot of excellent things for the football program and basketball as well. As mentioned before, the dude has a genuine passion for South Florida and the University of Miami and he just fits. Excited for Blake and think this will benefit the University. No outsiders were needed at this time when we have someone qualified already here who has been weathering this **** storm.

Congrats to him, nice to see a guy who's done his time, stepped in when needed and took crap others ran from get the trophy.

Advertisement
Back