Blake James: AD of the Year

I was excited when Flake Blames was hired.
I have been disappointed in his performance.

I guess they give medals and trophies to everyone now days.

His judgement is suspect.

Advertisement
A lot of people may not be a fan of Blake but personally I have no problem with him. His biggest handicap was Donna. Once she disappeared, well, you see the difference.

A lot of people may not be a fan of Blake but personally I have no problem with him. His biggest handicap was Donna. Once she disappeared, well, you see the difference.

It's amazing the stupid crap this fanbase believes. Continue to believe that an academic administrator did everything they could to kill athletics, just because. Remember the following, Dr. Shalala, and Dr. Frenk work at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees. They can easily overrule the University President, whenever they **** please. Miami's inability to win on the field over the last decade isn't the fault of Dr. Shalala, it was the fault of the BOT members that didn't put Paul Dee out to pasture sooner, who didn't see that the college football landscape was changing, and Miami had to start making moves in regards to fundraising, and that "The U" brand needed to maximized, because of specific demographic shortcomings in our fanbase.

just a coincidence all this stuff is happening post troll

It's amazing that our fanbase still thinks that the University President gives one **** about athletics, and is actively trying to ***** it over. You realize that Dr. Shalala, even if she wanted to ***** athletics wasn't a dictator, she worked at the pleasure of the BOT, and that group has athletically inclined people who could easily overrule her if they felt she was not acting in the best interests of the department. Dr. Frenk isn't there to win football games, nor care about that stuff, his job is to fundraise and make sure the 9,000+ undergrads that aren't student athletes are getting the tools and the instruction they need in order to succeed.

Let me guess, you assume that Tad Foote LOVED athletics, merely because the teams won? You want to look up someone who wasn't a fan, and most likely could have done without the stupid crap, go read his bio. Then again, rational people understood where Tad and people like him were coming from. The University President has a responsibility to protect the overall image of the institution, and when something directly challenges that, then you have problems. This isn't Alabama, where the school exists to win football games, and if that means ******** over the kids paying tuition, then so be it. Miami is managed like a normal university, where the University President actually does their job.

Get. the. fuccc. outta. here.

MIAMI would be a **** stain in my drawers if Eddie BrownMichael Irvin, Jerome Brown, DJ Williams, Warren Sapp, Andre Johnson, or Willis MaGahee went to Florida A&M and it would have meant to that university.

Research increases in enrollment during MIAMI's championship years.

Pete reported Shalala took funds for the football program and put them somewhere else. Besides, sane university presidents maximize ANY value athletics bring to the institution--How do you think Miami became a brand?

The stupidity is strong with you. Professors aren't picking schools to teach at(OR DO THEIR RESEARCH AT), based on the football program. I know Billy Corben and the rest of the idiots sold you a bill of goods on how the University of Miami was built, but they forgot to tell you one thing: Miami is a research institution, and the money that research brings in is what pays the bills. That research and whatnot exploded in the eighties, as the CITY OF MIAMI grew, and people started figuring out that this formerly sleepy town was the gateway to the Americas. Corporate investment rose, and Foote and his people realized how to maximize that funding.

By the way, Pete may want to review some law textbooks and the like, especially the ones that cover nonprofit organizations and charitable giving. Dr. Shalala, nor any other official could take earmarked funds and apply it to something else. So, if you donate to the athletic department, the school can't just up and take your money and apply it to something completely different. It's also the same reason why UMiami can't take the money donated by the Miller family and build an oncampus stadium with it. Now, if the athletic department borrowed money from the general fund to offset shortfalls in their budget(Which has been known to happen), the school is perfectly within their rights to take that money back, out of the GENERAL fund of the athletic department,for example, television revenues.

If football is the end all be all to a college, then why is the AP Poll and the US News and World Report Rankings totally different from each other? Why is it that historically the schools that tend to invest the most into football, and go all in on it, are mostly marginal schools that have limited national appeal. There are few big name, highly respected academic institutions that have a track record of athletic success. Miami, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Texas, Michigan, and a few others. Those are the exceptions to the rule, the typical football factory is a lot like Alabama or LSU. In other words, large state schools that have little national reach, and are usually looked at as lesser members of academia. Football is a MARKETING tool, period. It also helps pay for the sports you have to have in order to be Title IX compliant. That said, you don't build a world class University with merely a winning football program. If that was true, Alabama would be way better than Harvard.

Last edited:
LMAO at porsters who think Blake could have fired Golden any time he wanted to. He would have needed Shalala's support and BOT approval for a multi-million dollar buyout. He would not have had support from either.

Support finally came after Shalala left and Dabo Sweeney put the worst home loss in Canes history on Golden's resume. Not only did a change occur at HC, but the entire culture shifted to a positive.

Excellent hire in Richt. Lucrative deal with Addidas. Indoor practice facility among major renovations in the pipeline.

Good for Blake James.

Advertisement
I was excited when Flake Blames was hired.
I have been disappointed in his performance.

I guess they give medals and trophies to everyone now days.

His judgement is suspect.

Let me guess why.

James hired Mark Richt instead of Butch Davis.

Clue me in on the difference. He had the exact same finalists for the coaching job as his predecessor had 5 years earlier. Literally zero difference.

Advertisement
LMAO at porsters who think Blake could have fired Golden any time he wanted to. He would have needed Shalala's support and BOT approval for a multi-million dollar buyout. He would not have had support from either.

Support finally came after Shalala left and Dabo Sweeney put the worst home loss in Canes history on Golden's resume. Not only did a change occur at HC, but the entire culture shifted to a positive.

Excellent hire in Richt. Lucrative deal with Addidas. Indoor practice facility among major renovations in the pipeline.

Good for Blake James.

Quite the revisionist history. Adidas happened under Shalala. Our athletic director could've been a rabbit and we would've hired Mark Richt.

Good for Blake James.

Quite the revisionist history. Adidas happened under Shalala. Our athletic director could've been a rabbit and we would've hired Mark Richt.

The Adidas deal was announced in January 2015, two years after James was hired as AD.

Richt was the best choice available, Davis-slurpers opinions not withstanding.

Who would YOU have hired? Names please.

Last edited:

Good for Blake James.

The Adidas deal was announced in January 2015, two years after James was hired as AD.

The adidas deal happened while Shalala was president. I, or anyone with the intelligence of a rabbit, would've hired Richt. He was the only choice. James had Schiano and Mullen as his finalists before Richt got fired. James hardly deserves praise for that hiring process. Richt was hired a couple of days after Georgia fired him.

Good for Blake James.

The adidas deal happened while Shalala was president. I, or anyone with the intelligence of a rabbit, would've hired Richt. He was the only choice. James had Schiano and Mullen as his finalists before Richt got fired. James hardly deserves praise for that hiring process. Richt was hired a couple of days after Georgia fired him.

Richt did fall into James' lap but so what? James and Miami saw an opportunity and took advantage of it. They could have hired the next up-and-coming lower division HC or D1 coordinator, but didn't.

Good job.

And, James was the AD when the Adidas deal was negotiated and finalized. Shalala and the BOT was involved, of course. Do you think the Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, or any other AD signs multi-million multi-year deals without oversight and approval from above?

Last edited:
Advertisement

It's amazing the stupid crap this fanbase believes. Continue to believe that an academic administrator did everything they could to kill athletics, just because. Remember the following, Dr. Shalala, and Dr. Frenk work at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees. They can easily overrule the University President, whenever they **** please. Miami's inability to win on the field over the last decade isn't the fault of Dr. Shalala, it was the fault of the BOT members that didn't put Paul Dee out to pasture sooner, who didn't see that the college football landscape was changing, and Miami had to start making moves in regards to fundraising, and that "The U" brand needed to maximized, because of specific demographic shortcomings in our fanbase.
Thanks, Donna

Only those in the program know how good he really is or isn't and what hr does or doesn't deserve credit for.

AD's are only as successful as their support system allows. There's a lot of moving parts for most AD's.

Good for Blake James.

Well, Miami had to wait until the Nike deal ended before they moved on. So, I'm not going to blame Blake for that, but I will give him and the BOT credit for not being beholden to Nike, and for taking advantage of a significant cash infusion, and a supplier that WANTED to be partners with The U. Nike wasn't giving Miami anything to market worth a ****, and they hadn't done so in over 20 years.

Advertisement

Thanks, Donna

Let me guess, sidewalk alumni. The point of the matter is, the BOT holds the cards when it comes to everything, as is the case at most private schools. If a couple of BOT members wanted to make moves in the athletic department, they could have done so, provided they got the votes from allies on the board. They never did, and they should take some heat for it. It's like people pointing to the POTUS as the sole reason why their life sucks, while forgetting that it's the congressman and senators they can't name that hold much of the power.

I think Maine gets too much of the blame when things go wrong and also too much credit when things go right. I am not big on Maine but what to do fight city hall or The Hecht forever?

Rick was coming here with or without Maine. Question is what are his accomplishments? I will give him 50% of the credit for the Rick hire if he takes responsibility for continuing to defend Folden and mocking those who called repeatedly for his Al's head long ago.

Maine didn't hire Golden though that distinction goes to Hockutt who is now The Chair of The Playoff Committee. Same Committee that shut out Penn State even though they were the conference champs. Why we continue to reward incompetence is mind boggling. What did Hockutt do to earn that Chair position? Guess he will need the supplemental income once he completely annihilates and disentergrates the Texas Tech athletic program.

Sell Hockutt a used car perfect example that a sucker is born every minute.

Thanks, Donna

Let me guess, sidewalk alumni. The point of the matter is, the BOT holds the cards when it comes to everything, as is the case at most private schools. If a couple of BOT members wanted to make moves in the athletic department, they could have done so, provided they got the votes from allies on the board. They never did, and they should take some heat for it. It's like people pointing to the POTUS as the sole reason why their life sucks, while forgetting that it's the congressman and senators they can't name that hold much of the power.
Shut up

Advertisement
Back