Blake Baker Interviewed With LSU

Blake realizes that he's Manny's puppet here at UM. He had to be reigned in this year when he wasn't calling plays like Manny would have. To be honest, pretty much a lose-lose situation for us. We'll never have a top tier DC here since top tier DCs don't want to be puppets to Manny's defense. If Blake leaves/fails, then Manny needs to bring in a super sharp, X's and O's guy to help expand on Manny's defense, that can ball out on the recruiting trail as well.

I will have a puppet to the top 15 D in the last 4 years.

Advertisement
The quickest way to the QB is from the DT spot. We are best when we have the DTs who can do that. We didn't have our Willis this year so Baker had to get creative. I personally love the exotic blitzes, just need the personnel to do it. No doubt 2020 is going to be Manny's most athletic defense. If we can get even one of our DTs to take that next step then we can get back to being an elite D.

It’s easy to exploit our blitz when it is late and predictable. Teams scheme us for the short passing game because of our defensive lines ability to generate. You can’t delay blitz the three step drop and you can’t allow free releases with it either.

A Willis type talent pushing the pocket makes everyone else’s job easier.

We didn’t have that, but putting your best pass rushers in coverage and coming late from the secondary isn’t the way to make up for that loss of production.

For the most part the defense was good enough. We are nitpicking them because in modern football, you got to put up points. Can’t expect them to hold every opponent under 20 every week.

One of the all time historical falls from grace. He was a rising young star at BC. The AD there got sick of him constantly testing the nfl waters and told him that if he interviewed for the Jets gig he’d fire him. He interviewed for it, didn’t get it, and got fired.

After that, I think the Bucs hired him as OC but he couldn’t get the plays in fast enough in preseason games and got demoted before the season started.

I have a feeling something else was going on. He either melted down mentally or got into some other issues because he fell off the face of the earth after that.

He was fired after 2008.

By 2012, he was WR coach at Ave Maria (an NAIA school, which supposedly is about the equivalent of Division II.) Jesus Christ.

From 2017-2019, a high school offensive coordinator. That is unbelievable.

Advertisement
Perfect representation for the current state of Miami football. If they have a winning season, I'll change it to something less pathetic and unemployed.

I was at a game I can’t remember if it was last year or the year before, getting a brew at the sandwich spot, and poor guy comes waddling up, breathing heavy duty like he’s already at end stage heart failure...and just actually felt really bad for him. Dude is really short and super heavy. Thought I read somewhere he may have had bariatric surgery since then. He’s a perfect candidate if he can survive the surgery

I was at a game I can’t remember if it was last year or the year before, getting a brew at the sandwich spot, and poor guy comes waddling up, breathing heavy duty like he’s already at end stage heart failure...and just actually felt really bad for him. Dude is really short and super heavy. Thought I read somewhere he may have had bariatric surgery since then. He’s a perfect candidate if he can survive the surgery
He had the surgery awhile back. Without getting overly clinical here, I can tell you if you don't maintain a healthy diet and keep your portion sizes small, over time the band will stretch and you'll either stop losing weight altogether or even regain the weight you lost. (I have an aunt who went through this) Unfortunately I think that is the case with Feast as I have seen him at games also and he appears to look exactly like he did pre surgery.

And, you were WAY wrong on that 3rd down defense comment, but refuse to admit it. You're a clown
Number 42 in the second half of the power five sport! You’re a clown just Blake James and Baker. Lmao
A6FA4553-84FF-4986-B7B7-C40DAE776EC8.png

Last edited:
Number 42 in the second of the power five sport! You’re a clown just Blake James and Baker. Lmao
View attachment 109720

Colorado State and the University of Louisiana are 2 of the teams ahead of Miami. And Wyoming and SMU are both on that list, a few spots below Miami.

That’s not just ranking power conference teams. Did you seriously read the list that you yourself posted?

You’re making a fool of yourself on this thread.

Miami was 42nd out of 130 FBS teams in opponent’s 3rd down.

And, I really think a Miami D should be better than #42 in the country on 3rd down. But it’s a little ridiculous how you keep coming up with fictional stats.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He had the surgery awhile back. Without getting overly clinical here, I can tell you if you don't maintain a healthy diet and keep your portion sizes small, over time the band will stretch and you'll either stop losing weight altogether or even regain the weight you lost. (I have an aunt who went through this) Unfortunately I think that is the case with Feast as I have seen him at games also and he appears to look exactly like he did pre surgery.

oh no. Seriously? He had the lap band and is back to pre-surgery weight that quickly? His post surgical compliance must’ve been absolutely zero. He is tracking head first to an early death. There’s no nice way to put it. And I don’t think he’s that old, relatively speaking. My guess is he’s in his early 40s

Dave Aranda was making that scratch because he was in such high demand. He kept getting big raises. That’s how it’s supposed to work. Fake Faker wouldn’t be making anywhere near that at LSU.

You mention Aranda parlaying the LSU DC gig into a HC gig. It took him about 5 or 6 years to do that. Remember how long it took our last successful DC to parlay it into a better HC gig? About half the time.

With the salaries LSU pays, I’m not sure an LSU defensive coordinator would leave for an AAC head coaching job.

Number 42 in the second of the power five sport! You’re a clown just Blake James and Baker. Lmao
View attachment 109720

Good lord, someone is going to BRAG about this #42 ranking, as if it is some sort of accomplishment?

Here is the reality.

Four of our six "best" games for 3rd down efficiency were our first four games.

We held UF to 2/10 (20%).
We held UNC to 2/10 (20%).
We held BCC to 3/15 (20%).

At that point we were probably #1 in the country, or **** near it.

OK, Central Michigan went 6/18 (33%).

And at that point of the season, through four games, we were under 25%.

The rest of the season was fugly, around 42%. And THAT percentage would rank 91st. By the way, I'm not giving you some 2-game stat. The 42% mark came over NINE CONSECUTIVE GAMES, nearly a full season.

Think about this. In our first four games (2-2 record), we gave up just under 25% of the third down attempts.

Then, in our next four games (2-2 record), we gave up just under FIFTY PERCENT of the third down attempts (34 of 69 or 49.28%). This was the point when Manny had to "step in" and take on more of the Defensive Coordinator role from Baker.

In our FINAL NINE GAMES, we only got under 30% once (29.4% in a win against F$U), and we only got under 40% three times, against Louisville (35.71% in a win), Duke (31.58% in a loss), and Louisiana Tech (37.5% in a loss).

In five of our final nine games, we gave up between 42.86% and 56.25% of third down conversions.

9 of 16 in a loss to VaTech.
10 of 19 in a win over UVa.
9 of 20 in a win over Pitt.
6 of 14 in a loss to GaTech.
6 of 14 in a loss to FIU.

The only team that was worth a **** in 2019 on that list is UVa. Every other team is hot garbage.

42nd in the country. Wow. After September, WE WERE MUCH WORSE.

Pathetic.

Colorado State and the University of Louisiana are 2 of the teams ahead of Miami. And Wyoming and SMU are both on that list, a few spots below Miami.

That’s not just ranking power conference teams. Did you seriously read the list that you yourself posted?

You’re making a fool of yourself on this thread.

Miami was 42nd out of 130 FBS teams in opponent’s 3rd down. That’s actually in the top third of the country.

Just stop it.

As I pointed out, over our final 9 games (the ones not involving Bethune Cookman or Central Michigan), we had a percentage that would have ranked us in the BOTTOM third of the country.

Yeah, we piled up the third down stats against UF, UNC, BCC, and CMU, but after September, we were TERRIBLE.

Advertisement
Good lord, someone is going to BRAG about this #42 ranking, as if it is some sort of accomplishment?

Here is the reality.

The rest of the season was fugly, around 42%. And THAT percentage would rank 91st. By the way, I'm not giving you some 2-game stat. The 42% mark came over NINE CONSECUTIVE GAMES, nearly a full season.

Think about this. In our first four games (2-2 record), we gave up just under 25% of the third down attempts.

Then, in our next four games (2-2 record), we gave up just under FIFTY PERCENT of the third down attempts (34 of 69 or 49.28%). This was the point when Manny had to "step in" and take on more of the Defensive Coordinator role from Baker.

In our FINAL NINE GAMES, we only got under 30% once (29.4% in a win against F$U), and we only got under 40% three times, against Louisville (35.71% in a win), Duke (31.58% in a loss), and Louisiana Tech (37.5% in a loss).

In five of our final nine games, we gave up between 42.86% and 56.25% of third down conversions.

The only team that was worth a **** in 2019 on that list is UVa. Every other team is hot garbage.

Pathetic.
I agree 100% my friend. I think maybe you misread my post, I wasn’t bragging about the 42nd ranking which was near the second/bottom half of the power five. I was calling out the other poster who was saying 42nd isn’t that bad, which it obviously is. Point being our 3rd and 4th down defense was dog$hit last year and anyone who says other wise and tries to argue the facts you laid out in your post clearly has an agenda. Baker is trash because any DC that has to have the HC come in not even half way through the season and save his a$$ is dog**** and shouldn’t even be the DC here. 3rd down defense In the bottom half of the power five and 4th down dead last 130/130 or very close too. Unacceptable!!!

I agree 100% my friend. I think maybe you misread my post, I wasn’t bragging about the 42nd ranking which was near the second/bottom half of the power five. I was calling out the other poster who was saying 42nd isn’t that bad, which it obviously is. Point being our 3rd and 4th down defense was dog$hit last year and anyone who says other wise and tries to argue the facts you laid out in your post clearly has an agenda. Baker is trash because any DC that has to have the HC come in not even half way through the season and save his a$$ is dog**** and shouldn’t even be the DC here. 3rd down defense In the bottom half of the power five and 4th down dead last 130/130 or very close too. Unacceptable!!!

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding then.

****, I had to look at the stats myself to see how bad it was. We were on a three-game high (after Bethune Cookman) where we held three straight teams to 20% on third down conversions.

After those first three games, it was all one long disaster on third and fourth downs.

Advertisement

Here is the reality.

Pathetic.
@OrangeBowlMagic @Yyy @Canes1968 Are the three yahoos Originalcane that have been arguing with me all day that our 42nd ranked 3rd Down defense was “pretty good” 🤢🤮 hey three yahoos, read Originalcanes post above and then come back and tell me how awesome bakers 3rd down defense was this year! Lol

Say what you want but defense isnt our issue really. Offense and special teams was among the worst in the nation
Nobody would look at Miami (from the outside) & say Miami's issue is their defense. That would be absurd. However, those who follow closely can see that it is an issue that tends to get overlooked. Paper tigers.

Say what you want but defense isnt our issue really. Offense and special teams was among the worst in the nation

You say "our issue" as if there is only one issue to address.

We have multiple issues to address. Defense may not be #1. Third down conversions allowed may not be #1. Fourth down conversions allowed may not be #1 (though we were the worst in the country).

But, yes, we DO have issues to address on defense, and losing Shaq and Pinck are not going to help the situation.

Advertisement
Back